Skip to content

Ofc I'm new :D Why else would I post here?

Hi all, the first post on any forum is always exciting :)

Ok, so my Uncle gives me this game, I installed it and just waiting to play it (the wait is killing me) but a couple of friends say this game is legendary and mentioned a few things.

One mentioned about a party I have to create, so out of curiosity, can you guys post the first party you played through with?

I got the vanilla with ToSC, no mods btw ^^ And hi, I'm Draco :)

Comments

• ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599

Hello and welcome!
    The most important thing I'd say is that you should avoid walkthroughs, that ruined parts of my first run, cos the game becomes rather mechanical and boring if you just follow a series of instructions, instead of experiencing the journey and working things out yourself. It is perfectly possible for a total beginner to navigate their way from beginning to end, learning 'on the job'.

I totally agree with this. There's no reason to read a walkthrough, all the things that you discover (and don't discover) on your own add immensely to the game, and a lot of other games for that matter. I sullied my Fallout 2 experience by reading a walkthrough before playing, that's not a mistake I'll make again.
  • dracostrikedracostrike Member Posts: 151
    Thanks for the advice guys, I have kept away from the walkthroughs and I am doing the RPG in my own style. ^^ I kinda noticed early on there was a few NPCs placed for me to pick up :) However I only chose Imoen for my first party member, she seemed a have a neat skill of dual-classing. What is that?

Also I found someone unusual too, a drow elf called Viconia but I am now in Beregost raiding houses ^^
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Dual-classing is when a character abandons his/her first class to learn a new one. I'll explain it quickly with Imoen...

She starts off as a Thief. If you choose to Dual-class her into a Mage when she reaches lv 6 Thief, she loses all her thief skills temporarily, and from this point onwards, all further experience gained goes towards Mage levels. When her Mage levels overtakes her original Thief levels, she will regain her old Thief skills. i.e. our example that means when she becomes a lv7 Mage. Note that she will continue to only gain experience towards Mage levels, and will not improve any further as a Thief.

There are various other restrictions for Dual-Classing, namely only Humans can do it, and you need a minimum of 17 in the primary attribute of whatever class you wish to learn. (So 17 Intelligence for a Mage, which Imoen satisfies).

Viconia is a very popular and powerful character. She's evil, which is fine if you aren't playing a good party, but if you are (and ur reputation gets too high), which case she'll complain a lot and you need to keep it below 18 or she will leave. Also certain good and evil characters might fight each other, but Imoen is fine. She's the only one who will stick with u through anything.

Finally the only thing I feel I should warn u about, is that if Imoen is ur only thief, u need to improve her 'Find Traps' skills... you are gonna need that to be near 100 for the endgame, or it could get tricky.

Ah thanks for clearing that up :) However I will need to find another thief soon then, since I won't be able to use the Find Traps skill for awhile I guess. Any ideas?

Yes, Viconia is nice but her WIS is a bit low :/ Even though Muhaley's ring helped a bit, I would like to get another healer soon.

Also just found Kagain.....And I love him! Awesome tank plus he's dwarf, the only thing missing for him is for him to say this: "And my Axe!"
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited August 2013
    You can use 'Find Traps' with any thief at any time. You just click on the thief skill button along the bottom of the screen and wait for 6 seconds. All traps within a decent radius that your thief is skilled enough to detect will show up. In Baldur's Gate, quite a lot of dungeon bottle necks, doors and chests are trapped, so it's very important to be cautious. Some of the traps are lethal.

The reason I said you need a thief with 100 in Find Traps, is some of the traps in the endgame require 100, or close to 100 in the skill to be found. 100 in Find Traps will allow to to detect and disarm every trap that can be found and disarmed in the game.

Personally I don't think healers are particularly useful in this game compared with others I've played. As you level up, their spells only heal a smaller and smaller proportion of ur hp, and healing in the middle of battle prevents the cleric from doing something or useful, like caving in the enemy's skull with a hammer, or buffing allies, disabling enemies with spells.

Oh as for another thief... I'm not sure where you are in the game. There's lots of them nearer the midgame/endgame. If you head towards Cloakwood Forest, there's one you won't be able to miss. He says something about Wyverns and is an exceptional archer.
    I am in the Mine now ^^

I got:
    PC (Paladin)
    Kagain (Fighter (<3 Dwarfs))
    Coran (Fighter/Thief)
    Yeslick (Fighter/Cleric)
    Imoen (Thief (soon to be a Ilusionist))
    Edwin (Conjurer)

Viconia kinda got gibbed by Taugosz Khosann :/