Skip to content

Three elves. Zero tights.

LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
CHARNAME (Lukin), Kivan, and Coran. Nothing gets near, but actually it does. When it does, the targeted victim runs, fast and shamelessly. The others loose arrows. This works. It's fun. Need more enchanted long bows in BG:EE. CHARNAME is an archer.
Post edited by Lateralus on
KolonKu

Comments

• DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    any machine gun?
    LateralusJuliusBorisov
  • Morte50Morte50 Member Posts: 161
    I did a similar 'archery' party as well for a bit: Archer, Kivan, Coran, Imoen all with bows, some mage (I think Neera) with sling, and arbitrary tank/cleric (Jaheira, then Yeslick) to stand there and get attacked. Worked quite well, but at least as far as I went with it it got rather too easy. At 10 arrows a round, most enemies tended to drop rather quickly, mages especially (Daevorn didn't have a good time of it, for one). The rate at which you burn through arrows is also quite hilarious.
    Lateralus
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    Sounds an awesome crew for BG1,don't think they'd last too long in BG 2 though.
    Lateralus
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    edited August 2013
    I was thinking about using a Baeloth and Viconia as reluctant companions. Good characters do that stuff, right? :)

The banter should be tremendous.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Hah, I forgot that Dave Chapelle was in Men in Tights until just now. I gotta go watch that again at some point.
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    I ran a similar team, but i also brought along Minsc to run interference while my archer made pincushions.

I also made the choice to run my PC with Shortbows, since
    A: There is a lack of a Third +2 longbow, but there is the Shortbow +2
    B: Shortbows are better in BG2 anyway, and I intend to bring that archer over once BG2:EE hits.
    Jarrakul
    I'm currently re-running this, but with an Assassin-Fighter Dart Thrower I have been meaning to try, and for the rest Imoen, Kivan, Khalid (and soon Coran) all on bows to provide the largest possible barrage of arrows. And of course Jaheira to serve as bait. 'Cause half a druid is all the magic I need, obviously.
    @ revaar A regular composite longbow is better than a +2 shortbow IMHO, the SB has an added +1 to hit over the LB but the range isn't as good. Speed factors are about the same too.

@Morte50 I have been checking out the possibilities of other missile weapons to use with the Archer kit but it always comes back to the bow being the best option. Darts don't have a STR bonus to damage, and I can't tip them with anything.

I'm going to attempt a serious hardcore run, with the following rules.

1. Hardcore difficulty, enemies get +50% damage.

2. Resurrections require an additional donation of dropping magic item(s) on the temple floor, of no less than 1,000 GP (resale value) per level. So if one of them dies at 3rd level, I'd have to drop 2 rings of protection +1 on the temple floor, never to be used again.

3. Only 2 NPCs allowed, Kivan and Coran.

All of them are sneaky, and this is critical to party survival. Gorilla warfare is the key to success. Hitting enemies first and hard, and hit and run tactics are crucial.

CHARNAME has an 18/00 STR, and we kill all drows on site, no exceptions. So despite not being able to even specialize with any melee weapons, I still anticipate Lukin to be very good in hand to hand combat. STR +3/+3, Drizz'ts swords +3/+3, and the extra +1 to hit for being an elf should make him pretty lethel.

I figure I can start and end the game with just a non-magical composite longbow. The speed factor is slow but the +1/+2 combined with being an archer (+3/+3 at 8th level) should keep him in the hunt.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    In the meme thread, someone made a joke about an "all-elf" party featuring Kivan, Coran, Xan, and Viconia.

That sounds like a pretty darn good party if you ask me.
    Dragonspear
    Question for all. Do rangers automatically gain that 3rd slot in 2wf or do I have to select it when leveling up?
    Far as I know you have to spend the third pip yourself. Just checked an old save half-way through the game, and Minsc still has just the two pips.
    2ndEd used to be level 9, for the third pip.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    @Lateralus, longbows and shortbows have the same range. I just tested by making a longbow wielder and a shortbow wielder attack each other from well beyond max range. They both moved up to the same range and started attacking at roughly the same time, and if either took a step back the other had to move forward to keep attacking.

And yes, you definitely have to spend the third 2WF pip yourself. Sad but true.
    Lateralus
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Thanks to this thread, I re-watched Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

No regrets.
    lunarTheMoatMonster
    thespace said:

If you kill Drizzt on sight you will suffer a heavy reputation penalty...and if your rep gets too low then you will loose your Archer status, becoming a gimped fighter (fallen archer) with no stealth.

Thanks for the tip, but I have been planning ahead. Typically, you lose 4 rep when your current rep is at
    12. The cut off is 8, so I plan on getting my rep to 13 before ridding the surface world of that drow. Kivan tells me that he merely poses as good so that he can spy on the surface world for Lloth. He must be taken out.