Skip to content

The Amulet of Power

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
edited August 2013 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
I just wanna quickly clear up my understanding of the rules for the Amulet of Power.

One of its stats says "Decrease Spell Casting Speed by 1". I initially thought this was a penalty because 'decreasing speed --> slower'... also the Robe of Vecna uses a clearer definition of "Improves Casting Speed by 4", and I assumed if the Amulet of Power was a boon with regards to casting speed, it would use the same terminology.

However, now I think my original understanding was wrong and the Amulet of Power does improve casting speed.

Can somebody just confirm this and clear up my confusion.

Thanks!

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Yeah the amulet reduces spell casting time!
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Ok thanks! Confusing wording... That means it is truly awesome. I nearly gave it to Minsc cos I thought it'd penalise Charname's casting. lol If it didn't also provide permanent Vocalize, that's certainly what would've happened!
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    It's because spells list a casting speed even though they mean casting time, I think.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The terms are indeed used interchangeably. The way the game handles it, casting speed/time goes linearly from 0 to 9, where 9 is a full round (six seconds) and 0 is instant cast. A reduction will therefore result in quicker casting.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    with the Robe and the amulet (if your class allow it) you can cast your entire spellbook into a single Time Stop + Improved Alcharity.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It's one of the best items in the game for a caster - plus it's free.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    The main reason I love it is because it gives a CHARNAME mage a tangible advantage over Edwin. xD
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    AOP has no benefit compared to Edwin's amulet, they aren't even in the same BALL PARK.

the cast speed reduction is tiny and requires IA to be of any use at all.
    The negative plane protection is waste on a caster, because they should never be anywhere near level-draining creatures in the first place. Better spent on a M/C fighter who is closer to battle.
    and no enemy in the unmodded game cast's silence.

The +10% MR is the only useful thing on the necklace, and even that's really situational.

AoP = Silver Necklance

compared to

Edwin's = Amulet of the Master Harper.
    I don't deny that the Amulet is inferior to Edwin's Amulet, but a cast speed bonus is more useful than you give it credit for, I feel. Still a tangible advantage, even if one outshined by that offered by Edwin's amulet. The only thing that really outdoes Edwin's amulet in terms of spells is Nahal's Reckless Dweomer.
    edited August 2013

AOP has no benefit compared to Edwin's amulet, they aren't even in the same BALL PARK.

The negative plane protection is waste on a caster, because they should never be anywhere near level-draining creatures in the first place. Better spent on a M/C fighter who is closer to battle.

The +10% MR is the only useful thing on the necklace, and even that's really situational.

AoP = Silver Necklance

compared to

I've never used Edwin, so dunno about his amulet. But the Amulet of Power is WAY better than a Silver Necklace. I'm sorry but that's just a ridiculous thing to say.

1) Charname is a Fighter/Mage, so he fights Vamps face to face, level-drain protection VERY useful.

2) Enemies in the unmodded game use silence all the time. (Unless u consider BG 2 Fixpack corefixes to be a mod) It forces me to memorise Vocalise for most of my casters, because there's been numerous occasions where they were rendered useless by a simple Silence spell. I have no idea where u got that idea from.

3) Magical resistance and casting speed boosts are always useful. All in one item!

If the Amulet of Power is worth a Silver Necklace (1gp), then almost every item in the game is worthless.
    @heindrich1988 While I totally agree with you that the Amulet of Power isn't quite as outclassed as Zanath suggests, in all fairness Zanath said the difference between the 2 amulets was akin to the difference between the silver necklace and the amulet of the master harper, not that the Amulet was equal to a silver necklace. : )
    @ZanathKariashi
    @Tome

Oh, alright... I guess I misunderstood. Ignore my rant then. :)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    the cast boost is just too samll. There's a sweet spot at 4-5th level spells where it's useful, but lower or higher, the difference of 1 is unnoticeable without IA.

It would be more accurate to say that the AoP is useful because of a lack of other options. Mages don't hardly get $%#^ for amulets, just AoP and Metaspell Influence. There's several other kinds, but they aren't typically attributed as hot items for mages.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    I'm almost willing to believe the amulet was put in the game specifically for the F/M/T solo runs.
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    The amulet makes a good number of spells instantaneously cast, which I found to be very useful. Quicker magic missiles, slow poison can be used on yourself, and many protective spells can no longer be interrupted...
  • ArcticArctic Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2013
    the amulet alone is no so good , but amulet + vecna is. At least once you reach hla
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    The amulet is worth wearing just for the permanent negative plane protection. Everything else is just gravy.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

AoP = Silver Necklance

compared to

The amulet of power objective isn't mages but it's more useful for battle clerics. Slight speed on spellcaster helps in the heat of combat and Negative plane protection allow them to simply walk in the middle of vampires and wraiths (Firkgaark's lair for example) and blast them with turn undead (anomen comes in mind then).