Skip to content

When is the next patch coming out?

Hi guys,

Do you know when the next patch will be coming out? I've been hearing "soon soon soon" ever since the crisis was resolved, but that was back in August. Anyone have any updates?

Thank you,

-TS...

Comments

• pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    It was announced a little while ago that there would be a beta running for Beamdog clients from early/mid September, probably for a couple of weeks. Assuming that goes fairly well (ie doesn't uncover major bugs that they can't resolve) it should get pushed out to Beamdog folks shortly after it closes, so probably early/mid October at a guess.

Steam clients (like me, sadly) will have to wait another couple of weeks probably while it goes through Steam's process., so maybe into November.

@Dee et al, does that sound right as it stands?
  • bescheidbescheid Member Posts: 16
    ;( too bad i'll have to wait even longer. Have waited a very long time for this patch and cant get myself to start playing Before the patch comes out becouse i'll just have to start again when it comes out. know I'm just complaining now, I'm gratefull for u doing this but I'm really longing for my next playthrough... ;)
  • ThunderSoulThunderSoul Member Posts: 125
    Thanks for your reply guys :)
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    This @shawne. How could we phrase it better...

But somehow i'm now immune to their communication. I'm always adding one month to their estimation and now feel cool about it.

So yes, i'm expecting BG2EE for Christmas, and not for mid november like officially announced.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Palanthis: I don't think we need to phrase it better at all - every time I consider giving Beamdog the benefit of the doubt again, something like this comes up and reminds me why I don't anymore. Getting any kind of concrete information is a chore in and of itself, and when they do commit to something, not two weeks go by before the goalposts float away.
    Dee said:

I'm going to get snarky for just a brief moment.

When we don't give any concrete information about timelines, we get angry people.

When we give tentative information about timelines, we get angry people.

When the timelines change, we get angry people.

And in most cases, all three groups are made up of the same people.

I will take full responsibility for the initial estimate, because it was based on feedback here that I pushed for an estimate to be made. So if you have qualms about credibility, direct them at me. If you want to be angry about the flow of information, be angry at me.

But come on. I could point at specific posts where people have been angry about the lack of information, and then--when information comes out--those same people are angry because the information isn't to their liking.

Now. Snarkiness aside. We're doing the best we can to get the patch ready for beta. If it ends up being a little later than mid-September (and I'm not saying it will be), then I apologize for the miscommunication earlier. If we end up having to rush our work because people are impatient and the beta isn't as polished as people would like, then I apologize for raising expectations. And if, by some strange miracle, the beta is released on time and exceeds everyone's expectations, then I apologize for not giving people enough to complain about.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just snap? That's not too professional of you... :\
  • kiaikiai Member Posts: 18
    Sindyan said:

Dee said:

When we don't give any concrete information about timelines, we get angry people.

I will take full responsibility for the initial estimate, because it was based on feedback here that I pushed for an estimate to be made. So if you have qualms about credibility, direct them at me. If you want to be angry about the flow of information, be angry at me.

But come on. I could point at specific posts where people have been angry about the lack of information, and then--when information comes out--those same people are angry because the information isn't to their liking.

Now. Snarkiness aside. We're doing the best we can to get the patch ready for beta. If it ends up being a little later than mid-September (and I'm not saying it will be), then I apologize for the miscommunication earlier. If we end up having to rush our work because people are impatient and the beta isn't as polished as people would like, then I apologize for raising expectations. And if, by some strange miracle, the beta is released on time and exceeds everyone's expectations, then I apologize for not giving people enough to complain about.

He is just being honest and truthful. I agree with him. A rough date is nice but if it wrong oh well. I have more to my life than this game. I have other games I can play till the update. I'm a iPad owner. Talk about changing dates.
    I'm a huge fan of these games and I think they did great with the resources (money,time, and staff size) they have .
    Most of us spend more on fast food
    every month than the cost of bgee.
    That's the whole point! Everytime I read here, I ask myself which legendary-wonderful ishy-squishy Unicorn-Pony-Land i've overseen all the years, where no mistakes happen, no misscommunications no timelines are broken and everything is succesful in first attempt, simply where it's an act of terrorism if something goes against people's mind.
    OK...
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    The issue is not caused by a single mistake or because a few bugs. It has been built up overtime by pushbacks, inaction, poor communication etc.
    It's always the same thing. Sorry we have issues, sorry we can't finish it in time, sorry we can't talk about it...

I'll get bg2ee but after that I will be very careful before getting another beamdog game.
  • blazeheroicblazeheroic Member Posts: 37
    nsr said:

This is outrageous. I demand to have issues to complain about. Hmm, I can complain about having nothing to complain about. No wait, then I can't complain about having nothing to complain about... argh head hurts now.

This just made my day, thank you!
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    shawne said:

Dee said:

That's correct; although "early/mid September" may be a generous estimate; we want to make sure that the open beta is stable enough to be worthwhile for players.

See, this is exactly the sort of thing that causes people to question Beamdog's credibility:

Philip Daigle's Twitter, August 21: #BGEE Expect it around early or mid-September.

Now early/mid-September is a "generous estimate"? For an open beta that precedes a patch that's been in the works since February, during which time at least 200 bugs have been allowed to persist in the game?
    we are all excited for the new patch, but speaking like this to the devs only make them realize that is not a smart thing to speak with the community. As Dee already stated, they see angry people whatever they say, so I'm afraid in the future we might not receive any news at all from the dev team. Just relax, people, do seomething else in the meanwhile and then you will be able to play your favourite game, clean, polished and bug-free for a lifetime.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Lack of patch is one thing, but what worries me is that they can't even procure patch notes, which does not bode well.
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2013
    I hope they still can give a semi-timeline...I don't mind waiting for a long time for a patch or a game even if it is pushed back. Although I agree with blackchimes about the patch notes....I am a bit curious to see what it will do. We know a little bit about it from what Trent said but it has been awhile since we have heard of other stuff that is being worked on.

It is more curiosity than anything. I am using the spare time to try to learn Japanese and working on school anyways and personally I already got my money's worth on Baldur's Gate so I am happy. :D
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

Dee said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just snap? That's not too professional of you... :\
    He didn't snap, he snarked. Big difference. :)

When I snap, the rearranging of inanimate objects molecular structure is in order. Sitting and typing intelligently is not an option.

@ Dee Besides, you're a rock star around here. Haters gonna hate lovers gonna wait.
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    Well, been gone for quite a while, mainly because I got sick of the state of the game after the last patch... may we assume that this patch is quite substantial since one would have to assume that it's been more or less 'in the works' since the last patch and only now getting into beta?

Unless there where any 'cease and desist' orders given during the whole bankruptcy FUBAR...
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Only thing I am confused about the patch, didn't they say the patch was finished and only their problems with the licence holder was keeping them from giving it to us?
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited September 2013
    @Dee, remember that those people that get angry do so for a pretty nice reason :
    It's because they are passionate about your game, and want to play it in the best conditions possible.

I'm a backer, i've preordered BGEE, and BG2EE, but I also do kinda feel like it's been ages since an update has been released.
    Even a small update to correct the biggest, glaring bugs (That can be fixed using community-content, I know, but come on, a small patch containing these fixes could have been distributed)

So, yeah, I also felt a bit sad, that, after seeing a glimpse of hope, and thinking "Hell, yeah, in up to two weeks, I'll be able to check all that stuff I've been waiting for 5 (or 6, 7... not even sure how long it's been..) month" we're told "err no, not yet, actually, it'll be later on" and thinking "... again"

Don't be misunderstood, I fully understand that more time testing = better product in the end, and that sometimes, in a product development cycle, you do get some unforseen problems that delay the release of the product.

But you (as in, the whole team, not yourself) should be cautious about the informations you're giving, because your players/backers had to go through quite a bit during the summer already, and due to that, are probably very sensitive about any information given. (Yeah, I know, the team also suffered from that, and that's also a pretty good reason why you can fully understand how your backers/supporters feel)

Nothing personnal, overall, you're doing a great job, but I don't think getting yourself frustrated due to your fans beeing frustrated is the best way to answer their frustration :D
    Post edited by Aranthys on
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited September 2013
    @Dee, as i said earlier, i'm really cool with all of it now. I'm learning to be patient.

BUT :

i can see two groups of people who have the right to be "angry" / annoyed on these points :

- first, the Android users. The Android version was announced for release on November 2012. As of today, almost one year later, you still can't say when this will happen.

- the next patch, on which you're working for six months now (without taking the July / August unfortunate legal matter). People can understand a big patch needs a LOT of work. But they can't understand why a patch (not a full game) planned to be released after 4 months (31 May was at a time the "official deadline") is now planned to be released, on a beta state only, after two more full months of work.

My conclusion (not a complain but what i hope to be a constructive criticism) :
    just don't plan a thing you obviously can't make in time. I mean, how on earth could you expect to release android version last year, if it's not even ready by now ? Similarly, how could you expect to release a full patch in May, when a Beta of it is not even ready two months later ?

I think you don't have a communication problem (you @Dee are making a great job on this now).

You only have a big problem of estimating your own working speed, which needs to be matched by your perfectionism (a good thing by the way) and the really small size of your team.

You know, shit happens in every job, but it's a part of the job to plan effectively when you can give something to your employer or client. I'm doing this every day in my work like a lot of people. Sometimes i have to delay a bit and can't respect the deadline i had. It happens to everyone. But a full year delay ? Wow, my employeer would fire me if i would do that.

Hope it's clearer that way. I'm not an Android user, but i can understand them. I'm not really happy with the big patch delay and don't expect Bg2EE before Christmas but hey, i'm cool with that. I just understand how people could get angry by your extremely big delays.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Some people's attitudes on this forum seem so far removed from my own, I sometimes wonder how we can enjoy the same game!

I preordered BGEE back in the mists of time, and I am still playing and enjoying it almost a year later (how many 'modern' games can I say that about?). Not only am I still playing and enjoying it, but the game is still being improved with updates and patch's, all for free, which require no further committment on my part. All I have to do is keep playing and enjoying myself.

How can I get annoyed at being given the opportunity to play and enjoy Baldur's Gate all over again, and for my game to still be supported and updated almost a year later, and with the added bonus of BG2EE not to far off (and yes, I've pre-ordered that too).

Yes I can moan about things. I can gripe and whinge and procrastinate. And maybe I would have good reasons to (Most notably Android users). But BGEE and BG2EE are some of the best pounds I've spent in recent memory, and in all good conscience I cannot resort to moaning and complaining, not when the game has brought me so much happiness and fun over the last year!

And now I'm sitting here waiting for the next patch, and for BG2EE, and I am looking forward to another year full of happiness and fun! :)
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    shawne said:

Allow me to be briefly snarky in response, then:

Playing the victim card (ie: "Poor us, always getting yelled at by indistinguishable angry people for no reason at all") only works when you've actually been wronged.

The reality is that Beamdog's communication with its customer base is defined by uncertainty. You don't know when your own open beta is meant to start; you don't know how long it will last, or when the resulting patch will be available; you can't confirm features in a game that's two months away from release; you have plans for DLC but can't say what they are.

And in the midst of all that nebulous talk, when you finally do make a concrete commitment ("concrete" being a relative term, since "early/mid-September" is not a specific date), you immediately backtrack and then fail to see why that might frustrate people.

If you can't keep a commitment, don't make it in the first place. And if that results in not being able to make any commitments at all, don't be surprised when that projects a certain image to your target audience.

Well said, and to put things in perspective here a tweet from Trent from April 16th.

@jbeige The current plan, barring disaster is to roll the new renderer before the end of May. We may roll out a partial version earlier

Must have had couple dozen of those disasters.

That said I understand that they need to take whatever time they need to properly polish the patch, but seriously you have soon been working on this thing longer than some good indie games take to make. At this point I really wouldn't play the victim card anymore.
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    edited September 2013
    I never did understand the urge to know when patches/games/betas etc. launch. Are you planning your entire life around it?

If that is the case, fair stuff, I would get a bit touchy if my life depended on it.

However it doesn't, so how about that cold beer, sex with the wife, a lovely weekend with the kids or the freinds.

Surely you lot got better things to do than calendar manage a budget videogame production.

• WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Some people in these forums really just a big #&$@ing hug and slow down...
  • Seaker42Seaker42 Member Posts: 8
    As someone that's been in software dev for a couple decades in small to medium companies (dev group sizes of 2 to 50), I completely understand the dilemma Dee is facing. Many people want to get changes quickly, with no bugs, and on the exact date that was advertised. Unfortunately, development doesn't work that way.

All software products of any size have bugs, and when you're working with a large code base (like I assume BGEE is), it can be very difficult to accurately estimate how much time is required to fix a certain bug - if it can even be safely fixed. This can often make it very difficult to meet specific release dates, and accurately say what changes will be in the next release.

I think it's great that so many people are enthusiastic about the game and are eagerly awaiting the next patch. But, also I think many on these boards need to back off a bit and let them go through their internal processes to ensure the release meets their quality standards.

Also, I've seen companies that allowed the community to push them to get releases out faster than they wanted to...and it rarely ends well for the company or the community. (yes, I was with one of those companies - and we paid for one of those rushed releases for several years)