Skip to content

Imoen question

Okay I am still really new to BG(or even DnD lol but this game now has me interested!)
So I just reached level 3 with Imoen(haven't actually leveled up yet)

Does disarm traps become available after find traps is high enough? I'm just not seeing it, that being the case I will probably just dump all my points into that.

other question, I already have Neera and have decided to keep her for entire playthrough so should I dual Imoen as a mage? or better to keep her at pure thief? (not looking for canon just for an effective character)

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    Find/Disarm Traps is the same ability, so no need to do anything different.

One mage is adequate for BG. So is one decent thief. So I would just leave Imoen as thief all the way through since you have Neera. Every now and then, I'll play the game with a much smaller party, and then I'll want Immy to be my mage (and maybe my thief too!). But ordinarily, I just leave her as a thief.
  • revan299srevan299s Member Posts: 64
    Kk thanks.

is its a good idea to just dump all her points in find traps for the time being or should I consider deviding them with open locks? those are the only 2 I seem to be interested in lol
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I'd divide the two. Imoen has abysmal melee stats, making her a sub-par backstabber, and you really want open locks and find traps in these games. You can potentially get by with the Knock spell to open locks, but with the low level cap of BGEE that will likely take up more spell slots than you're comfortable giving up.

Dualling Imoen is up to you. I prefer more casters, as I find pure thieves to be very weak in combat if they can't effectively backstab. There's nothing wrong with having Neera AND Imoen as mages; you'll have enough scrolls to go around eventually. But don't pull the trigger on that until you've gotten Imoen's vital thief ability scores at least into their 90s, unless you plan on getting another thief to take over.

At best, though, you're still going to have to endure a fair amount of time without an active thief while you wait for Imoen to regain her abilities. For a new player, this might not be a good strategy, since you aren't familiar with areas that require a good thief to pass. Unless you're feeling ambitious, I'd probably just skip dualling her in your first run.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    revan299s said:

Kk thanks.

is its a good idea to just dump all her points in find traps for the time being or should I consider deviding them with open locks? those are the only 2 I seem to be interested in lol

Yeah those are the only two abilities I care much about too. I usually split 50/50 between them until they're maxed out.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Find Traps is the only thing that only thieves can do. Its the best way to deal with traps. I usually dump Imoen's first level up entirely into Find Traps then I start mixing in Open Locks. You can smash locks open with high strength or cast the knock spell on locks, but getting Open Locks up a big minimizes headaches. You don't want you mage to have to memorize nothing but knock spells in their second level spell slots or have to stop and memorize them all the time. So having some ranks in Open Locks is handy as a matter of convenience. If you dump your first couple of levels into find traps you'll be set in that regard for handling the traps in the Nashkel Mines.
    edited September 2013
    /sad

the impatience in me made me already choose lol

all in find traps, I suppose next time I level I'll just put it all in open locks.

And for this run I'll be keeping her a pure thief. She is pretty weak I'm hoping to find some defensive items and/or something to help her with backstab. As it stands I only use her for ranged combat.

EDIT: Thanks CaptRory, now I dont feel so bad lol
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2013
    CaptRory said:

Find Traps is the only thing that only thieves can do.

Monks can find traps too, they just can't disarm them. Same with the priest spell.
    @Awong124 Which is like buying a table with only two legs. Its the one thing thieves do best.

@revan299s You're welcome! To help her as a thief, look at the Shadow Armor and Dagger of Venom. Also grab her Dagger Proficiency and Single Weapon Style. And she should be shooting her bow most of the time.

With the sneaky boots and the armor she should be able to sneak pretty handily even before you add points to her two stealth skills.
    by sneaky boots do you mean the Worn Whispers?
    Yup
    Kk cool thanks. I actually gave them back to that thief for the quest, so went back and killed him lol
    There are two pairs actually =3
    Oh haha. Well this guy technically gave me xp twice so I call it a win :P
    Hehehe, works for me.