Skip to content

How do you play your RPG's

DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
edited September 2013 in Off-Topic
Hey guys, just wondering how you play your roleplaying games.

I find roleplaying as someone else rather hard, I always feel unsatisfied with my results. Which is why I usually only play a game twice.

The first time, without any knowledge I always 'Act how I myself would act' if I were in the protagonists shoes. Then, the second time I research the game a bit more and make a perfect playthrough know everything will play out just the way I want it in hindsight.

The disadvantage of this is that, unlike from what I read around here, is I generally don't enjoy another playthrough of the game untill after a few years when it's not fresh in my head anymore.

I'm actually kind of jaleous of the 'real' roleplayers who can use their imagination to pretend to be someone else. Does anybody else play like me? Or used to play like me and eventually found it easier to roleplay?

Perhaps a fun extra question, what do you consider your aligment? I'm pretty much Chaotic neutral with a streak of nasty when vengeance is concerned.
Post edited by Deefje on

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    This is kind of an interesting topic. We've had lots of threads that address these questions separately, but I don't think I've ever seen anybody try to organize all the different aspects of roleplaying and game replayability into a single thread.

I'm like you in that I almost always play myself in roleplaying games. For me, the main replayability comes from wanting to try different character builds and powers. My moods keep changing as far as what kind of superhero powers I want to have.

Sometimes, I want to be like Thor and have super strength and a cool magic weapon, so I play barbarian or paladin me.

Sometimes, I want to be like a Jedi Knight, so I play a fighter-mage me, or fighter-cleric me.

Other times, I want control the forces of the cosmos and play mage or sorcerer me. It's fun for me to go through the "quadratic wizard" process, starting out barely able to make a little globe of light spring from my hand, and winding up being able to stop time and call down meteor strikes from the heavens.

Still other times, I'm in the mood to express my nurturing side, and my spirituality, through a game character, so I get really into playing cleric me. I'm a humble, wise healer, travelling through the lands curing the sick and alleviating the suffering of the people wherever I go.

Sometimes, I want to bring my love of animals and my pet cats into the game with me, so I play druid me. I have one of my cats become a magical companion, able to transform when in danger from a harmless kitty into a huge, black panther with magical claws and fangs. Or, perhaps I can summon the totem spirits at will, as deadly ghost animals, the Bear, the Panther, the Snake, or the Wolf.

And a lot of the time, I just have to play a bard, because that's the closest to what I am in real life, a musician and lover of myth, story, and lore. I'm also like a bard because I can't make myself stick to just one thing for very long before I get interested in something else - I become pretty good at a whole bunch of things, but never reach mastery in any of it.

Two classes I pretty consistently stay away from: straight fighter, because that just seems so plain and boring to me, and rogue/thief. So I always need to find an NPC to do all the thief functions. I'm not sure why I don't want to be the rogue. Learning lock picking, trap disarmament, and spying, just doesn't interest me, for some reason. And I don't steal stuff.

Replayability for me also comes from the array of companions you can have in good roleplaying games. When I play it once with one group of people, I start wanting to see what kinds of stories, interactions, and relationships I might experience with a completely different group of people.

My alignment also drifts depending on my moods and my situation. I'd say my base nature is fairly Lawful, and my morality drifts from Neutral to Good. True Neutral, Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, and Lawful Good all fit me to some degree. In a game, I might choose any of these. When I play a wizard in BG, I often choose Chaotic Neutral just to get a cat familiar, but I don't actually play that. The only true constant in my alignment choices is that I can't stomach playing Evil of any kind.

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    When it comes to new games, I usually spend days on different wikis studying the mechanics, rules, classes and all that, after that I usually find a concept that seems appealing, both flavour and powergaming-wise, and create a character around that concept. I also usually tend to find out what kind of equipment is available so that I can be sure that the character won't be hindered by the lack of proper gear at some point in the game.

Considering roleplaying, I usually make rational and efficient characters, so I don't go on a killing spree just for the sake of it, but otherwise I have no problem with either good or evil. Me, I'm probably somewhere in the vicinity of True Neutral and Lawful Evil.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I play sitting down. Standing up for so long would get tiring.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I, strangely, have roleplayed Mass Effect as myself time and time again, with pretty much no change. I was loaded on Brandon Shepards the last time I looked (when ME3 first launched over a year ago) In fantasy settings, I have shifted around what my character would be, and go from there. I don't usually play the bad guy, but I do some things differently still. I've been mostly warriors a few year ago, wanting to be that badass with the huge sword. Nowadays I actually play a lot of rogues, but I kill evil, and I sure I steal but I don't murder innocents :) I think what has me come back is that I stay off the wiki's so that I don't know every quest and there can still be a surprise in that next playthrough
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    ALL TEH CHARACTER COMBINATIONS!!!