Skip to content

Which mage robe do you use? ( BG1 )

2»

Comments

• ArkanisGathArkanisGath Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2013
    I like cold resistance. Why?. I always remember my first dead , winter wolf :( ehhh. Of course with winter shoes must use. And cleric spell protection of fire/cold.

By the way why is no Robe of Acid Resistance? :)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I agree, there be ankhegs, and they seem to like flying towards dynaheir's amazing 10 AC :)
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Due to its conspicuous absence, I created a Robe of Acid Resistance but then I went one step farther--I edited Thalantyr's dialog so that if you go to him with all four elemental robes he will, for 2,000 gold, magically reweave them into one robe giving you 25% resistance to all four elements. This is a very handy robe, indeed.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    fireball seems to be the staple spell for wizards along with magical missile so my wizard being immune to it was SO MUCH help. also you wont believe how many times i've used an AoE spell and accidentally caught my fire elemental....that thing gets pissed off REALLY fast
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288

There is no real reason not to switch things around as needed. The elemental resistance ones in particular can be handy to have lying around for when you know (or suspect) you will be facing that element.

In BG2 of course there is no contender to the Robe of Vecna.

But typically you have more than one mage in the party, yet only one robe of vecna
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    I tend to have no more than 2 arcane casters in my bg1 and bg2 parties... and my charname is usually one of them so I get the Robe of Vecna ^_^

The other arcane caster is usually Imoen... she ends up with elven chain of some sort (especially the uber kind you can craft with Cespenar) since well... she can equip it and my charname deserves to have the uber vecna robe!

If my charname isnt an arcane caster however, I'd probably end up with Edwin in my party and he'd wear the Vecna robe and Imoen would still wear the elven chain he he.

Honestly I played through with Neera and she's likable enough as a character but I honestly don't see myself playing with her to any great extent simply because she's a wild mage. I like my magic to be predictable and do what its supposed to do every time :P Though I suppose I could just change her specialization with the keeper if I really wanted to use her. If I did that I'd probably let her wear the Robe of Vecna in that case.
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    edited September 2013
    Nic_Mercy said:

Honestly I played through with Neera and she's likable enough as a character but I honestly don't see myself playing with her to any great extent simply because she's a wild mage. I like my magic to be predictable and do what its supposed to do every time :P Though I suppose I could just change her specialization with the keeper if I really wanted to use her. If I did that I'd probably let her wear the Robe of Vecna in that case.

wild magic is awful! It can be funny if you save scum a lot, but that ruins immersion. It is completely and utterly impossible for a wild mage to play through the game without committing suicide at least once. Because so many of the wild surge results are instant death and because wild surges are so common
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    Shadowkeeper: Robes of Vecna
  • CantabCantab Member Posts: 56
    Fire resistance- because my mages be busting out fireballs all day 'n night
  • GaveGave Member Posts: 66
    None of the robes are very attractive to get, since most of the time you dont want to take hits... Protection spells and invis are much higher priority for them...

A robe that grants spell casting related buffs would be welcome tho, not that they are really needed. Something to boost the saves needed for your spells to resist or each spell reducing 5% magic resistance on a target :D. I would start considering it.

• Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited September 2013
    taltamir said:

Nic_Mercy said:

wild magic is awful! It can be funny if you save scum a lot, but that ruins immersion. It is completely and utterly impossible for a wild mage to play through the game without committing suicide at least once. Because so many of the wild surge results are instant death and because wild surges are so common
    Neera dropped a cow on a bandit today. after that her magic missile became a fireball which killed her, dorn, and my charname, but failed to kill the ogre we were fighting. O.o

Wild Mages are fun. the randomness makes a game i've been playing since it came out 15 years ago both refreshing and hilarious. i wouldn't completely write them off. when you get stronger and have the chaos shields, things become a bit more stable and you're able to pull off some of the higher end wild surge effects which are nice. # 63 is my favorite, so much chaos ^_^ http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2/character/classes/tables/wildsurge.shtml
    i didn't hit printscreen in time to catch the cow but still, it was a hilariously embarrassing way to go XD