Skip to content

Graphical effects shower in modern rpgs

SerkoSerko Member Posts: 3
Does anyone else find it annoying?
Almost all new rpgs has it too much.
Don't get me wrong i like better graphics and effects but it has come to a point that all i see on my screen is some colorful lights and numbers.
So what you think?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Well, it *is* a quick way to see important numbers like how much damage you're doing, how much damage they're doing to you, and what types of damage are being done to you according to a color code, without taking your eye off your toon, which is kind of important in some games.

So, if I'm playing a game where I need that information, such as Sacred 2, or Torchlight, or Diablo, or even World of Warcraft, I guess I do kind of like the number splashes, because they give me needed information in real time through a color code, such that I don't have to keep pausing and reading text the way I do in a game like Baldur's Gate, which is essentially turn-based.

Also, those games are designed from the ground up to have multi-player as their main focus, although they usually do a pretty good job making a corresponding single-player option (I always only play them as single-player games, except for WoW), but you can't pause in a true multi-player game.

(I'm not sure how the BG multi-player function handles the issue. I guess whoever is the host of the session plays Charname, and can pause and unpause the game for everybody. Wouldn't that get kind of irritating for all the non-Charnames playing?)
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    Maybe Serko has a point, lol
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I hate floating damage numbers and other things like that. I don't need them even in games like Diablo. Seriosuly, I can guess if my attacks are having effect by just looking at monsters' health bars. Also, I would like to observe character's animations, instead of countless useless numbers and messages.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I don't mind shiny graphics, as long as it's not overdone. I find it interesting to witness how technology evolves in our modern times. A good example would be water graphics, and how realistic they have become over the past few years. But yeah, the best for me would be nice graphics AND an interesting story. And there exist games like that with such a combination. You just gotta search for them. The Amnesia games, and also Dark Souls (if you invest in the lore) are some good examples thus far. :)
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    it's useful to have and it is a treat for the eyes. there are times it can become too much so as long as they give me an option to disable them as i please then i see no harm in showing off a bit.