Skip to content

If Baldur's Gate was Mass Effect...

So I've just finished (I think... it's hard to tell because I've been trying to avoid spoilers for over a year now and I'm not sure if my silly Xbox has actually downloaded all the DLC; I'm doubting that it has... help me?) but with the game's tricky gaming infrastructure of choosing only two others to join you in each mission, it's inspired me to ask a questiion:

If you could only pick two playable NPCs to join you in your adventures who would it be?

P.S. For me on Mass Effect it was Tali'Zorah vas Normandy and Garrus Vakarian.

Comments

• SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
    Just to clarify, I mean if you could only pick two NPCs to join you in BGEE.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited September 2013
    A cleric/ranger PC and a dualled Immy would cover all the bases. I would rotate that third spot, and probably settle for a guy with a ton of hit points, eg yeslick or minsc
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Are we assuming that the challenges you face can be tackled by anyone and the main differences are personality and what they bring into combat?

I'm trying to work this out, but, I don't think it works. D&D is based around a 4 person party. And I keep comparing it to the first Mass Effect where the skills actually did stuff like letting you hack open locks and stuff.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    me being a barbarian to replace vanguard shepard.
    Neera as mage to replace a biotic
    imoen to replace tech

i'll only talk about mass effect 1 as that was the only one i liked, in my opinion mass effect 2 and 3 SUCKED and ruined any hope for other games in the series. but my team was female shepard as vanguard (pure because its jennifer Hale aka: Dynaheir who i recognized instantly) Tali for tech and ashley for a nice bullet sponge
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Garrus at my back is all I need.

Maybe Wrex too.
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    @Drugar I'd prefer to have Wrex up front...

With 3 characters..... Jan Jansen and Viconia... since they are funny when they bicker. :)
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Ohh ME characters in FR??? Hmmm... I wouldn't need 3, Gorions ward and Shepard would suffice :D
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508

So I've just finished (I think... it's hard to tell because I've been trying to avoid spoilers for over a year now and I'm not sure if my silly Xbox has actually downloaded all the DLC; I'm doubting that it has... help me?) but with the game's tricky gaming infrastructure of choosing only two others to join you in each mission, it's inspired me to ask a questiion:

If you could only pick two playable NPCs to join you in your adventures who would it be?

P.S. For me on Mass Effect it was Tali'Zorah vas Normandy and Garrus Vakarian.

They would starve to death as soon as their dextro rations gave out.

Liara T'soni(biotics never run out of ammo) and Kaiden Alenko.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Kaiden! I liked his personality a lot and dat romance!

Maybe EDI because she's hilarious. but I liked the big guy in ME3 a lot too...
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited September 2013
    I am saddened anytime I hear about Mass Effect. I hope to god that Bioware sell off Mass Effect or lose it in a bankruptcy so that somebody who might care about fixing the trilogy could do so. I used to play ME between others game aka I would play Mass effect series then Baldur's Gate then Mass Effect series all over again. Now, I haven't touched it in a year and I really wish I could fix it I really do. I miss my Tali and Garrus :(

to the question- I think I would take Imoen and Jaheira. Imoen would duel to mage so that I have a mage and thief, while Jaheira can tank and cast druid spells. charname could probably be just about anybody considering everything is covered by those two
    Post edited by ChildofBhaal599 on
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Amberion I think most of it was aimed at the parent company. Mass Effect 3 had the fetid, stinking, rotted sludge of Bad Executive Meddling swabbed all over it.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    The irony is, EA really did leave it all to Bioware to do. So EA didn't deserve the hate either.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Were there any companions other than Tali and Garrus?
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    CaptRory said:

@Amberion I think most of it was aimed at the parent company. Mass Effect 3 had the fetid, stinking, rotted sludge of Bad Executive Meddling swabbed all over it.

I'd say to direct your anger at Bioware trying to get too big too fast. They put out one game every few years then all the sudden ME2/3, DA2, Sonic DS, and a massive MMO by the name of TOR, all within a few years. How can you acquire and manage enough talent in such a time frame to keep all those projects from having diluted teams? You can't :(
    That is why the quality of the games dropped and the Dr.s burned out. For all the sequels Bioware decided that if something didn't work perfectly in the previous game, instead of improving it, they would scrap it entirely and simplify whatever would replace it.

• PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    "If Baldur's gate was Mass Effect..."

...it would have ended with the option to (1) kill Aerie and all elves in order to destroy Melissan, (2) become Melissan, or (3) jump into a giant beam of light and turn all living beings into bhaalspawn.

I'm sorry, I had to.

As far as Bioware getting undeserved hate, I disagree. The way they responded to their fans was cynical and condescending, and to this day the developers have yet to acknowledge a single flaw in their marketing or presentation. I spent 5 years with that series and the way it ended was an insult to my intelligence. And because I know I'm way off topic, that's all I'll say on it :)

As for the OP's actual question, that's really hard to say. I'd probably go with Jaheira and Minsc because my vanilla character eventually romances the former and I just can't manage a playthrough without the latter.

There are just so many great characters in the BG series that it would be almost mean to make you only choose two. 6-person parties are one of the biggest things I miss about modern RPGs.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323

A cleric/ranger PC and a dualled Immy would cover all the bases. I would rotate that third spot, and probably settle for a guy with a ton of hit points, eg yeslick or minsc

Berserker/Cleric and Immy as Thief/Mage is the Double Trouble.

Third? Rotate in BG2 to do the NPC quests, Sarevok in ToB.

• TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    Imoen as Thief/Mage and Yeslick would cover me fairly well I guess while still leaving a choice of PC class.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    if we are going to talk about bioware / EA hate it will need to be put in another thread. just saying
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    In the original I probably would have gone with Edwin + Viconia or Shar-Teel, in EE I'd likely run Edwin + Dorn.
    edited September 2013
    @Amberion I am sure many of them put in hard work, and I mainly blame Casey Hudson and Mac Walters as supposedly the ending was done themselves. Even then I have many other problems, but not to the point that I would have abandoned them or wish that they even go bankrupt just to hopefully get the game we deserve. Mass effect brought me out of depressing times when it came out, and changed me a lot in life. I was passionate, and it is no wonder I actively fought the ending for a year. I am playing fallout 3 and modded in Tali's armor because I still love the series and want it to get what it deserves. It is also sad I can think of a better ending where player choice matters and the professionals can't :(
    Post edited by ChildofBhaal599 on

if we are going to talk about bioware / EA hate it will need to be put in another thread. just saying

And we have one somewhere. I started it long ago after citadel, just so people don't create another I should mention it :)
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited September 2013
    Many seem to misunderstand the question

And if I understand it correctly...the first one is Imoen just because she's your sister or something like that. Tough choice. The other one definitely has to be a woman also though.
    Post edited by Illustair on
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Oh, only two BG:EE NPCs.

Um... That's tough... If we're assuming you can complete the game with any two characters like @CaptRory suggested (ex. You don't need a thief, or a healer, or a mage) and we're just selecting on personality.... Dorn for the romance and .... wow this is hard. Garrick, Ajantis, or Viconia. Probably Viconia.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 419
    I'd pick Jaheira and Imoen from BG1 and Anomen and Imoen from BG2.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    vanilla BG1 - Imoen and Viconia
    BGEE - Viconia and Dorn
    BG2 - Viconia and Yoshimo
    BGToB - Sarevok and Viconia
    (BG2EE might shuffle the cards a bit and I might end with an evil triumvirate CHARNAME+Sarevok+Dorn)
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    edited September 2013
    rdarken said:

Dorn for the romance and .... wow this is hard.

Phrasing.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Yeslick and Xan
    Kivan and Branwen/Viconia
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    BGII is easy:

Female PC: Anomen or Keldorn for the romance and the awesome tank capabilities and Aerie for the versatility.
    Male PC: Jaheira for the romance and Jan Jansen for the versatility and the funny.

BGI is not so easy. Maybe Minsc & Edwin or Viconia & Edwin with a tank PC.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Illustair said:

Many seem to misunderstand the question

Hmm. You're right. I was misunderstanding the question. If BG operated under ME party restrictions, meaning only two at once my group would be:

Hero: Male Human Swashbuckler
    Companion #1: Viconia. She'd never leave the team.
    Companion #2: Would rotate based on whomever I thought would add the most to the quest I'm on. Or at least between other characters I liked.