Skip to content

Single-Class Challenge!

BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
edited September 2013 in Challenges and Playthroughs
I'm surprised nobody has suggested a single class playthrough challenge yet (I think)!

Rules -

1.) Only ONE class for all 1-6 characters! *(2) I.e. only fighters, only rangers, only thieves, only bards, etc.
2.) Can only use a kit ONCE. (I.e. you cannot have 2 inquisitors/undead hunters, etc.) exceptions for mages and the vanilla class kit.
3.) NO dual-classing/multi-classing

Optional*(1) -

1.) Permadeath
2.) Combine with another challenge.
3.) Characters are either NPC's or generated with the best of three rolls.

Edit:
1 - Added optionals for extra challenge
2 - Clarified the one class idea.
Post edited by Battlehamster on

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Does that even counts as a challenge?
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    My response:

1.) Fighters only, Durlag's Tower
    2.) Mages only, Magic immune enemies
    3.) Theives only, combat in general
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    This is really only possible with Thieves and clerics. A Elf Long sword swashbuckler can handle the front line fighting. while assassin back stabs and the rest use traps and missal weapons.

Cleric can find traps by spell and the go around or use a summon to set them off, and knock to open locks.
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Frosty said:

This is really only possible with Thieves and clerics. A Elf Long sword swashbuckler can handle the front line fighting. while assassin back stabs and the rest use traps and missal weapons.

Cleric can find traps by spell and the go around or use a summon to set them off, and knock to open locks.

Fighters actually could theoretically pull this off - You just need to be lucky and have a LOT of buff/status prevention potions around. Use potions of giant strength for the locks and/or CHARNAME's Draw Upon Holy might.

Makes probably could too as long as you had one specialize in magics which allow him to pretty much become an arcane avatar/Warmage. (Tensers Transformation, Spirit armor and the like)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I misunderstood you. I've thought you mean playing party without multi-class or dual-class characters.

Although, I think it is duable to beat the game using only 1 character class. If people can solo the game, then why not?
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @Battlehamster - I actually tried this too, but under more loose rules. (eg-allowed dual-classing)
    Regrettably, never got around to finish that run. And I always just used the NPCs...never felt inspired enough to create all members in a multiplayer session.

My all-mage run was quite successful. (Sorceror + Edwin + Xzar)
    All-thieves and scoundrels run was fun (Swashbuckler+Imoen+Safana+Coran)

What I'd reckon could work:
    -Power Rangers party (several Rangers. Perhaps Stalker+Kivan+Minsc = using stealth to their advantage)
    -Clerics party (just out-heal and out-buff everything. Also - an army of skeletons)
    -around 4 monks of different kits
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    I would probably say the inqusitors are the best choice.....all the right abilities to manipulate mages and very high saves.
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    wait... is open for multiplayer?
  • zurathanzurathan Member Posts: 53
    these challenges are stupid. i dont mean that they make you stupid, i just feel stupid when i try them.
    i have to share my thoughts somehere or i explode. so sorry if i offend someone while in the process.
    no kill challenge: i dont even know how to begin this.. just pass
    75 roll challenge: just try en elven ranger to roll. the whole min roll sum is 70 so you can distribute only 5, it makes an elven archer 18 dexteriy capped not even 19 which kills your main advantage.
    hardest difficulty mode challange: every spell caster opponent is a death sentence if you miss a savingthrow. its impossible to play with immunities all the time.
    no reload challange: hardest of all, made me an angrier person lately.

so i tried some of these challenges and i figured out i m allergic to them.
    how you guys do them is beyond me, i guess if you enjoy it (you must be a masochist) go for it. it just killed my mojo. thx for reading.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    here is one of the hardest bg challenges to date: finish a whole game with the same character without making a new one ( unbelievably, this is very hard to do for a lot of us, there is a page even dedicated to it called the chronic restarter on this forum somewhere)
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    edited September 2013
    Counting BG2? Doubt fighters, rangers, paladins, clerics or druids could do this. Thieves would also be a huge hassle.

BG1 I reckon all could be done without too much trouble.

Pretty much if you can't cast spells you're toast. Scrolls count, though.