Skip to content

Max fighter level?

Pretty basic question, I know. But finishing my first game of EE kind of got put on hold for a new months, and I intend to finish it at least once before BG:EE 2.
My Berserker is level 7. What is the max level for a fighter in BG1? I'm wondering how thoroughly to seek out side quests in order to bulk up before the sequel.

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I think it was 9. Around 250 000xp. Not sure though.
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2013
    Level 8 is your max in BG:EE... this is a really excellent site for BG info...

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts
    edited September 2013
    Djimmy said:

I think it was 9. Around 250 000xp. Not sure though.

161,000XP cap in BGEE.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    @Awong124 my bad, thanks for the info.
  • JeivarJeivar Member Posts: 53
    Alright, then I can just focus on the main quest from now on. Thanks :)
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited September 2013
    Its pretty hard not to hit exp cap even with a full party.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Although it's important to note that if you're exporting into BG2, any XP you gain after the level cap is still kept and added to your character. You just don't see it in BG1, but once you export into BG2, there it is!

Although it's important to note that if you're exporting into BG2, any XP you gain after the level cap is still kept and added to your character. You just don't see it in BG1, but once you export into BG2, there it is!

I don't think that's supposed to happen.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @Jeivar

While you may be close to capping your XP in BGEE, that doesn't mean you should necessarily skip further side quests. I'm not sure what you've already done, but the TotSC content, particularly Durlag's Tower, is of very high quality and worth exploring for the enjoyment (and loot), regardless of whether or not the XP you will receive will matter.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2013
    Level doesn't actually mean anything really in 2nd DnD (unlike 3rd)....you can actually enjoy the game much more if you simply forget about it and just play. By around lvl 10, most classes have gained nearly everything they're ever going to get, and learning to better use your resources or finding better gear is where your power increase comes from after that.

None of the games in the series require you to be anywhere near level cap to win. BG1, due to the low cap, unless you simply avoid anything but required quests, you'll likely cap regardless. But BG2, you generally have to go well out of your way to hit the SoA cap (especially since you can't abuse scroll scribing unless ToB is installed)...and the ToB cap usually requires xp-farming/exploits/modded content to approach even 2/3 of the cap.

(Of note, BG2+ToB can be easily beaten by party of BG1 capped (161,000) characters, so none of the xp you gain during BG2 is actually needed...it just makes things a tiny bit easier or adds more options).
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    edited September 2013
    'Easily beaten' is an exaggeration there, IMO. It requires a fair amount of knowledge and preparation.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Most of which can be attained from simply reading what stuff does, and developing a sense for when something is and isn't needed.

(And keep in mind, I did not leave out my usual restrictions (and it also includes several ability/class/item nerfs), so someone who isn't purposely gimping themselves should easily beat the game even capped, with only enemies that level drain being a danger (fewer empty levels to lose) and it's otherwise no different then playing normally, aside from lacking 6th+ spells).