Skip to content

How do i got about playing a No reload?

Ive never played a new reload run through before! I'm currently going through on insane but im looking for a challenge while I wait for BG2.

What are the rules of no reload? What are some strategies? Whats a good class? Any areas I should straight up avoid? What difficulty to play on? How the hell do you beat Sarevok on no reload? Has anyone here done it?
Just wondering what others have done
Thanks!

Comments

• blueblue Member Posts: 39
    *a no reload run * oops
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I've done the random no reload and haven't played the game since it was originally released. it isn't really too bad if you are metagaming it

try to go to high xp locations first to get some levels so you aren't a level 1 who will constantly die. basilisk area is good for this since entering from the beregost temple and headinga little north brings you to that ghoul
    understand the more difficult encounters so that you don't go in without the proper protections
    do not take risks. totsc content should be done when you are a higher level after doing all the easy content
    share with us in the no reload thread, because people want to read your experience :)
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    First off, there are a couple threads floating around in the Strategies and Walkthroughs sections for no reload games, you should stop by there if you're interested in doing a run.

As for rules, the only real rule is that you don't reload. Generally people stick to core rules and don't use cheats for the standard difficulty, with some people tweaking it to add some spice. But really, BG is usually a single player game so the most important rule to follow is to do whatever makes it fun for you.

Classwise, it's good to pick something that can get the immunities that prevent game overs, such as Berserkers for their rage or any type of caster. Though if you're playing with a party it's not as important to get those immunities since you can make them do all the heavy lifting.

Strategically, you'll want to focus on protecting your main character. Everyone else is expendable and can be resurrected. Keep a Potion of Invisibility in a quickslot as your get out of jail free card. But really, a lot of the strategy is going to depend on what class you pick and what party you choose, so you'll be making a few things up as you go along.
    thank you! where is the no reload thread??
    thanks!
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    It is quite doable, even while soloing, even with scs, sometimes even on insane difficulty.

The pros here have very useful strategies, and you can see their triumphs and losses.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/181/index/3124065/1
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    There's also a "Walkthroughs and Strategies" board which you would likely find useful on this very forum.
  • PavolPavol Member Posts: 13
    Even though I finished BG several times, in no reload game I was always killed before Nashkel. I didn't try any cheesy techniques and Greywolf was a tough guy :) But when playing it, it's totally different play. You finally drink potions you never drank before, sleep often and mainly stay alert all the time. I think this is the way it's meant to be played. And it was the first time I realized, I'm not the one who is worthy to kill Sarevok. It didn't happen before :)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Avoid melee combat for the first few levels.

Use lots of crowd control spells.

Use lots of buffs, potions, wands and scrolls.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    And go for high XP "gimmick" enemies early on, which you can use spells or potions to become effectively immune to. A potion of Clarity or Berserker's enrage makes Sirines pretty trivial and will get you to level 3-4 easily. As previously mentioned, Basilisks are another fairly easy thing to farm.

Once you're level 4-5 and have a bit of gear the wilderness encounters should be fairly safe. Greater Wolfweres, Aec'Letec and so on will still be a risk though.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I only play no-reload nowadays as it gives so much more to your gaming experience. You can't rush in to hard fights and hope to win, you have to take baby steps in the start. In BG1 i usually run around the towns (Beregost, nashkel) doing small quests to get up some experience. Then when i hit level 2-3 i move around the town in the nearby areas doing more collect quests and killing some easy monsters.

It's such a wonderful feeling when you start getting some levels, and the first fullplate you can equip on your warrior. It also prevents doing silly things like running to Greywolf and reload 20 times until you get his swords. You have to plan ahead every single time and figure out what easy quests you can do first, and after the easy ones are over you'll have to figure out what your chances are on completing the rest.

Then there will always be things like Durlag's tower, werewolf island and such. They are optional and you don't have to do them to complete your run, but it's oh so more enjoyable if you get through one of those two on a no-reload run. You'll have to be very careful in durlags tower, and it's not uncommon to run away with 5-10 health on your main character.

And as someone mentioned before here, it's about meta knowledge and risks. If you're going into a mage fight, you need to know what they will cast, and how to prevent it. Because even when you're high level, one single horror spell could destroy your entire team. Clerics and mages are very risky with their hold spells and such, and you will need to use the right potions and scrolls for some fights. Then there are things like Basilisks, spiders and ghouls which so many people seem to take for granted. But you only need a ghoul to hit you once, to know your game is over unless you can put it down quickly.

You shouldn't be thinking "I'll make the saving throw..." you should be immune to the spell or it's effect. Because it's not worth having spent 12-14 hours into a saved game, and then die because you got lazy. This is also most probably the thing that kills the most people in No-reload games, carelessness. The moment you notice that you're getting lazy, careless or bored... QUIT THE GAME! Because one of the small mistakes you do will eventually end your game. So have two games running, or just do something else, don't sit 4-5 hours in a row and get careless.

BG1 can be completed rather easily if you avoid Durlag's and werewolf island. Getting through BG2 in a no-reload game is a feat for the hardcore gamers, especially if you add SCS and other difficult enhancing mods.

I have completed No-reload BG1, BG2 and trilogy runs several times. Both in parties and as solo. The difference with playing in a party and playing solo is ... like another game. You can afford getting Khalid charmed by a sirene, but if you're solo a single charm, hold or web spell will end your game.

And last but not least... Summons! They are your best friend in No-reload games. Send in your skeleton warriors, bears, wolfs and even tiny gibberlings. Those low level monsters will still take the focus of the enemy spell casters, and if your animal summon 1 can take 2-3 spells from the enemy then they were worth their weight in gold.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    It's also fun to try to solo a useless char. I recently started a jester with the stats I thought I had(9str,15dex8con16int14wis and 15cha because if the bard req.) I did jester because that is the class that best fits me. It hardly doable as a no reload, but trying to kill tarnesh at the FA was the most fun I havehad with the game in a long time. Really makes you think about what your doing, and drink a potion of speed for the first time in EVER. :)