Skip to content

My 2 cents on the BGEE dev team's achievements thus far and the criticism

2»

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    What you wish, and what you got are two different things. In communicating with someone, your intentions are utterly meaningless, because what reciever of your words understood is way more important, since it affects further communication. Next time be sure to work harder on constructing your sentences.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552

What you wish, and what you got are two different things. In communicating with someone, your intentions are utterly meaningless, because what reciever of your words understood is way more important, since it affects further communication. Next time be sure to work harder on constructing your sentences.

I'll work harder on constructing my sentences if you work on your ability of comprehension before going berserk.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    My comprehension ability has nothing to do with this situation. If you truly meant no harm, then you will learn from this situation. My general advice is to stop accussing "99.99%" of people here of various things. That's a good start. Ferewell.
    edited September 2013

My comprehension ability has nothing to do with this situation. If you truly meant no harm, then you will learn from this situation. My general advice is to stop accussing "99.99%" of people here of various things. That's a good start. Ferewell.

I hereby accuse 99.99% of the people here and myself of not taking the initiative of starting an enterprise to revitalize a classic game. See what I did here? No reason to get mad.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @IkMarc
    Let's try not to kick the hornet's nest anymore, shall we?

Not to tell you how to run your own thread, but this is getting entirely off-topic.
    Dee said:

@IkMarc
    Let's try not to kick the hornet's nest anymore, shall we?

Not to tell you how to run your own thread, but this is getting entirely off-topic.

ok sorry
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    CamDawg said:

Right, EE never had a chance on the GOG forums since it launched with DRM, which is the GOG-equivalent of kicking puppies.

Not to derail the thread @CamDawg but you say that like thats a bad thing. Or something thats surprising as well.

There is a great deal of empirical evidence to be found that supports the belief and assertion that all DRM does is punish the legitimate end user for legally purchasing their game. Whereas a pirate has complete unrestricted access to the same game that often runs between because the pirated version has the DRM stripped out.

Case in point the "mod" that removed the "online requirement" for Sim Shitty. The game actually ran better with that mod than with the draconic always online DRM restrictions.

And yet companies keep insisting that DRM must be a thing that happens. And then they wonder why people hate it, why people pirate their games, and why they get stick for it.

Its a horrible practice that punishes only the legitimate customer, and the fan. Not the pirate.

That isn't to say that I disagree with you that the game launcher pinging the server to then say "hey theres an update! wanna download it?" is reasonable. Of course it is. Pretty much ALL games these days have that function. You would be idiots to not have at least that.

It isn't surprising that people (especially on GoG) feel very anti-DRM these days either. Considering a LOT of game companies these days (publisher and dev) blame everything but themselves for when their game "fails". It's because of those filthy pirates. It's because of those terrible used games. Blah blah blah.
    Devil May Cry sold something in excess of 2.5 MILLION copies worldwide; and Capcom declared that the game was a failure and said it had failed to make them any significant profit.

And who was to blame? Certain people in the industry blame the usual suspects - used games and pirating.

It couldn't be that the game had a ridiculously bloated budget, and was trying to support the overheads for a ridiculously bloated publisher? No of course not. Its the fault of the filthy pirates, and all the horrible horrible people who dared to buy used.

And when thats the kind of attitude that the gaming industry itself flings at its own customers (which i note is an attitude that would NEVER happen in ANY other industry) can you really blame certain segements of the gamer base to be massively hostile to the practices that the bigger parts of the gaming industry use to constantly blugeon them with? Can you?

I certainly can't.

That isn't to say I don't think that the hostility couldn't be expressed in a much better more reasonable way, or that you weren't right to get frustrated with the unwillingness to listen or properly discuss of course.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    In my humble opinion, the only thing currently holding back BG:EE from being better than BGTuTu is the availability of the NPC Mod.

Once this caveat no longer applies, I doubt I'll ever use TuTu again.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    @fitscotgaymer You're preaching to the choir. I was providing context for why there's such a dislike of EE on the GOG forums, not trying to justify the DRM.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    edited September 2013
    I completely and totally agree @NineCoronas.

@CamDawg glad we agree ;)