Skip to content

How Baldur's Gate should have ended.

SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
Well another thread got me thinking about this, and i'm very curious to hear other peoples opinion about it.

The whole part with Shank and Carbos being sent to assassinate you is just plain silly, and Sarevok et Co have many more brilliant moments just like that. So it's not just plain luck that gets you through the early hours of this game, it's also very bad planning from the enemy. I love reading the bounty hunter papers and see how my character goes from "Shouldn't be a problem" to "Do not underestimate this person..."

So why did they send Shank and Carbos, two people greener than cucumber to kill the ward of Gorian, an old harper of quite some power?

But now to the important part, and the reason i made this topic. How do you think it should have ended? And what would you have done differently if you had been in Sarevoks shoes?

-------------------------------------

My take on it.

- Create your character

- Enter the game

- Two minutes later, inside random house.

"Well, well, well, dear. What have we here... blade fodder?"

And then after two seconds of shock, you get backstabbed and see the ending screen.

[Edited] :

On a sidenote this game did end for some of my friends back in the day when they got to Friendly Arm Inn and died to Tarnesh again, and again, and....

So they actually gave up on the game as they couldn't get past him, i think it took one of them two years to start the game again and level up once or twice before going there.

Tarnesh must really have been one of the best road blocks in any game.

Comments

• ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    The impression I got was initially the Iron Throne paid for a general "dude of this description must die" assassination notice across the sword coast; and Shank and Carbos weren't so much sent as decided to go on their own to try and get the reward for your death. Because they were idiots.

Though it does beg the question of how they got into Candlekeep without anyone knowing given that they ARE a pair of idiots.

I dunno about Tarnesh, but I got butchered by that first Terror Wolf in the Gorions Rest area right after Gorion gets killed. It's why I ALWAYS pick up Xzar and Monty regardless of alignment - so I can survive that murder wolf. lol.
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited September 2013
    There is no coincidence both Shank and Carbos where sent to kill Gorions ward. After all, having paid a tremendous amount of gold for a rare tome to get inside of Candlekeep, Sarevoks financial resources was next to zero, thus he couldn't affourd hiring a skilled assassin. ;)
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

There is no coincidence both Shank and Carbos where sent to kill Gorions ward. After all, having paid a tremendous amount of gold for a rare tome to get in to Candlekeep, there was almost no gold left to hire a skilled assassin. ;)

As much as i love your reasoning for this, if i had been Sarevok i would probably have post phoned my plans to get another 200 gold to atleast upgrade them to Tarnesh ;)
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Shank and Carbos were after the reward. They stupidly attack separately because they dont want to share it. They say this directly. Plus there was no indication you were in touch with your power yet.

The one I don't get is Nimbul. The idiot attacks you on a town street directly in front of guards that will help, while you have a full party. Even though he has a note on him warning him to play it smarter and not underestimate you. Worst Assassin Ever.
    Yes but Shank and Carbos must have gotten a letter from the Iron Throne, there is no way they could have seen a bounty notice as there wasn't any around at that point.

Nimbul was ordered by Tazok (?) to kill you, and the way his dialogue goes it was ment for him to attack you in the middle of the night.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Perhaps the stronger mercenaries were intelligent enough to consider the possibility that messing with the child of a respected Harper/powerful mage in his home might not be the best idea?
  • This is how Shank and Carbos entered Candlekeep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85gkOXeXG4
    Shank and Carbos deserve more respect after watching that!
    @LadyRhian Actually based on E's letter, Gorion had already planned to leave Candlekeep before both Shank and Carbos showed up(which Sarevok already knew, information he probably got from spies within the Harper organization). The most logical solution to this question is that Carbos and Shank was members of the Iron Throne and somehow overheard an important figure discussing Sarevoks plans to go after charname. They tried to seize the opportunity to get themselfs promoted, but failed misserably.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Karl_Maulder That's possible, too. Sarevok probably didn't know the exact day, though. Maybe Shank and Carbos were passing on information as well. They were probably not the only agents Sarevok had in the area- I doubt Sarevok and Company were just camping in the woods waiting for CHARNAME and Gorion to show up- Sarevok is/was an important and busy man. He didn't have time for that.
    edited September 2013
    Gorions letter tells us that candlekeep is no longer safe, it doesn't mean that he'll be leaving that very day.

There is no way two amateurs like Shank and Carbos 'overheard' an important figure discussing Sarevoks plans. And even if they somehow fell onto this bit of information, can you imagine the both of them traveling to candlekeep from Baldur's gate just on a whim?

There is no bounty notice out yet, so they wouldn't even know what it was worth.

The only reason i can see Sarevok hiring Carbos and Shank would be because they are fools and no one knows them as they aren't very famous. So as someone mentioned they probably got sent there by Sarevok and got into the place as stable boys or something.

I think the whole attack part was somewhat planned, it would force Gorion outside either that very evening, or the one afterwards. So if Shank and Carbos failed, they would atleast push Gorion into the waiting arms of Sarevok.

Sarevok was waiting for the ball to start rolling, and catch it on it's way downhill. And Shank and Carbos was the catalyst to start the whole reaction.

These are my opinions anyway.

[Edited] :

I just read the letter from Elminster to Gorion again and he does urge Gorion to leave this very night. This makes me wonder because this brings up two questions.

1.) When did Gorion get this letter from Elminster? Did he ponder over it or did he take Elminsters advice to leave that very night?

2.) Isn't it a little odd that the very night Elminster wants Gorion to leave, Sarevok is standing there and they walk into his trap? How did Elminster get this information, and was it a trick from Sarevok to get them into his trap, or was it just blind luck?
    @SionIV the intro suggests that Gorion got the letter that very same day. Most likely Sarevok got his information from spies within the Harper organization. I very much doubt either Shank or Carbos was sent as they are both to unqualified to be a threat to anyone.

@SionIV the intro suggests that Gorion got the letter that very same day. Most likely Sarevok got his information from spies within the Harper organization. I very much doubt either Shank or Carbos was sent as they are both to unqualified to be a threat to anyone.

The point with Carbos and Shank wasn't that they were a threat, it was a slap in Gorions face saying "It is as we fear, not even candlekeep is safe".

I think they were sent in there to get the ball rolling.

1.) Gorion gets a letter from Elminster saying it's not safe in candlekeep.

2.) There is an Assassination attempt on CHARNAME inside candlekeep.

3.) Gorion make the descision to leave that very night

4.) Sarevok just got interrupted in his chess game with Ogre #2 as Gorion just walked into his trap.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305

This is how Shank and Carbos entered Candlekeep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85gkOXeXG4

I can't believe I watched all of that.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Obvious conclusion: Sarevok was working for Elminster, who was planning to doublecross Sarevok and become the Lord of Murder himself, using his new divine powers to get into Mystra's pants.

Again.
    Drugar said:

Obvious conclusion: Sarevok was working for Elminster, who was planning to doublecross Sarevok and become the Lord of Murder himself, using his new divine powers to get into Mystra's pants.

Again.

And we have a winner.