Skip to content

3D Acceleration

Hi guys,

I bought the game not too long ago and couldn't play cos it kept crashing after I clicked on Play at the launcher, fiddled with everything, run as admin etc etc and even emailed tech support but to no avail. Gave up, installed my old BG1 and 2 (cos i was desperate to play..) and strangely had the same problem. Funny thing is I was able to play around with the graphics config and when I unchecked 3D acceleration, I was then able to play both BG1 and 2.

I was hoping that I would be able to turn off the 3D acceleration in BGEE but the baldur.ini file is only created when the game is launched, or so I've read. And since my game isn't launching.. is there any other way I can go about turning the 3D acc off?
Thanks

Comments

• You cannot turn off 3D acceleration in BG:EE because BG:EE's graphics engine is based on OpenGL 2.0 which requires 3D acceleration.

Could you upload a dxdiag.txt to pastebin.com and link it here? Maybe you're just missing a driver.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Or send that dxdiag file to support@beamdog.com - I'll take a closer look at the issue.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I've had problems with things like that on my pc ( more as for vanilla bg1 and ice wind dale 2) where they would run sluggishly slow, then I downloaded this program called directx control panel, and in that program you can manually turn off the hardware acceleration in the direct draw tab, and those games worked 100% fine after I did that, maybe try downloading that program, turn off direct draw, and see if you get any better luck
  • sarevok57 said:

maybe try downloading that program, turn off direct draw, and see if you get any better luck

This won't work with BG:EE because BG:EE's engine uses OpenGL 2.0 and not DirectDraw.
  • BladenkerstBladenkerst Member Posts: 5
    Sorry for the late response..
    I actually did send Dee a dxdiag file a while back. And after some checks I was told to wait for a patch. Just wanted to see if I could still do anything in the mean time, but anyway, heres the dxdiag file.
    http://pastebin.com/WuLrPjQs
    Thanks guys
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2013
    Driver Name: atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
    Driver File Version: 8.14.0010.0716 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.680.0.0
    DDI Version: 11
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 11/18/2009 13:18:19, 4675584 bytes

2009 is old.
    Try this one: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd_catalyst_13.10_mobility_beta.exe

Driver Name: atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
    Driver File Version: 8.14.0010.0716 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.680.0.0
    DDI Version: 11
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 11/18/2009 13:18:19, 4675584 bytes

2009 is old.
    Try this one: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd_catalyst_13.10_mobility_beta.exe

Hey thanks, I've managed to get the game to launch(with some graphical glitches), but since after i restarted, my laptop's stuck on a very dark contrast, i cant even find my mouse. And now im just in safe mode trying to reinstall the driver, or uninstall if it comes to that.. any ideas again would be most welcome :)

ps. i did try turning up the contrast using the function key but its not working either
    I managed to restore the screen only by restoring the previous version of the driver. downloaded another AMD driver but BG isn't working.. think im not meant to play this new version..
    edited September 2013
    Try this one: ASUS N61Jq notebook GPU driver, 2010-02-23
    It's the latest driver and newer than the one pre-installed, specifically for this notebook.

Try this one: ASUS N61Jq notebook GPU driver, 2010-02-23
    It's the latest driver and newer than the one pre-installed, specifically for this notebook.

It worked!! Thanks!!!
    Great to know it worked :D have fun ;)

If you wish to beta test for Phase 2 (I recommend it for your laptop) and have the Beamdog version of BGEE, see here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21583/phase-ii-the-road-to-v1-2-hardware-compatibility-test/p1