Skip to content

[BUG] Strength Reduction and Equipped Weapons

WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
edited January 2013 in Original BG1 Bugs
During a run through of Larswood, I came across a spider (or ettercap) that diseased me and reduced my 18/xx strength down to 13. My Archer PC is wielding a Composite Longbow +1 and with his "new" strength should be unable to wield his bow.

*However* he is still able to shoot the bow as normal and it is still equiped, even though the bow in the inventory screen is red(ed) out properly. Not sure if this is a bug from the original BG or not, but thought I'd post it since it could possibly be a bug.

Expected behavior: The bow should be moved to your bag in your inventory. And if you have auto-pause enabled, then it auto-pauses with the weapon being unusable.

Thanks,
Wiggles

(If I knew how to take screenshots in-game AND how to post pics on the forums I'd do that to help.)
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think this comes from the original games.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I can only imagine a nice bow being unequiped and dropped onto the ground due to full inventory, then the character leave the area not knowing where it was dropped.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    @bigdogchris

Well that's a good point. At the very least, not being able to use the weapon then.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    I suppose the penalty for not equipping an item due to low stats should also apply to using the items as well :)

If not, you could use a potion of strength, equip it, then use it with low strength.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    **Resurrection**

Has this been fixed in any of the latest patches? I know it's not a deal-breaker, but it makes sense.
  • CaldeganCaldegan Member Posts: 33
    edited September 2013
    *Raise Dead*

Hi. This is an old glitch from BG1 and, as far as I know, in BG2 as well. The best thing you can do is just play along and not allow CHARNAME to use the bow. In a similar instance, I had to discipline myself not to use protection scrolls or wands because my CHARNAME didn't have the required 9 INT -- though the game still allowed him to use them.

In regards to taking screen shots, you can do this whilst the game is open (preferably in full-screen mode):

If on a Mac,
    - Press the Apple key ⌘ + Shift + 3 all at the same time
    - You will then find a capture of the screen on your desktop named ‘Picture _'

If on a PC,
    - Press the “Print Screen” (also PrtSc on some laptop keyboards) which is located near the upper-right of the keyboard
    - Open a program such as Paint and go to “Edit” then “Paste,” which will paste your picture
    - From there, you can crop it to your liking or just simply save the photo to a folder somewhere

Now to post the photo on the forums, you can go to the site http://www.imgur.com// and create an account -- this should take hardly five minutes. Confirm your e-mail address, then you can start uploading pictures directly from your computer to the site. When your photo is done uploading, you will see a list of links to the image on the right-hand side of the page. Right click and copy the "Direct Link" and open up a forum post -- the Direct Link should have ".jpg," ".png" or something similar at the end. From there, type in (without the “quotes” or spaces): < img src=“DIRECT LINK HERE” >. Then, when you post your comment, you will be able to view your photo.

Take for example this photo I have posted below. If you press the “quote” button on my post, you can view the source code for my post, and you'll see the < img src=LINK > just in case you didn't quite understand.

• MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Strength and other stat requirements were not enforced at all in the BG1 engine. This changed in the BG2 (including EE) engine, though I'm not sure it unequips items you can't wield if your strength drops during use.