Skip to content

BG2:EE Please improve Shield-wielding, Shapeshifting, and Kits

I don't know how much the developers look at this side of the forums and if this thread will reach anyone's ear but here it goes:

I mentioned in my other thread that shapeshifting really needs help. It's a) bugged b) not good even when it works properly

Please fix the shapeshift bug, and please make shapeshifting more viable for later game by (possibly adding damage with weapon when shifting instead of using a CRE file's damage and stats)

And Shield-wielding. Shields are generally useless (except the two shields that decently give you some bonuses) and the sword-and-shield proficiency is pretty bad.

Instead of giving AC to missiles per proficiency, I propose something like a chance to completely block a physical attack (both melee+range). So 1 point would give you 10% chance to completely negate physical damage done to you in 1 attack, 2 points would be 20%, 3 points would be 30%. That would give a HUGE incentive to using shields

And maybe add more "offensive" shields in game, one that adds to your damage or APR or elemental damage or something.

And Kits need a lot of cleaning up to do...a lot of kits are weaker than other ones, and some are generally uninteresting. The mage kits are kinda in bad taste, maybe they need to be designed like the Dragon Disciple.

I really wish they could do something about this....

Comments

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Completely agreed about the shapeshifter needing some serious buffs and s+s profiency just being useless.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah, shapeshifting needs help, both for shapshifters and for normal druids. Not only are they utterly terrible, they aren't working as intended (and would still be terrible if they were).

Sword-and-shield proficiency needs to add to damage resistance instead of AC vs. missiles (or AC period, really). Then people would actually use it. I'd suggest something like a 10%/15%/20% bonus, as most of the other proficiencies add less as you put more points into them. That said, that sounds more like the sort of change to expect in a mod.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    About the cleaning up part....most kits aren't weaker (except the Wizard slayer)...some kits are STRONGER they should be....if anything, the strong kits need to be nerfed down to their proper level of power before any other tweaking can occur.
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    I was just thinking about the shield wielding thing the other day, just off the top of my head. The thing is, shields are too weak for fighters to justify using them instead of 1 or even 2 extra apr.

Buffing shields however would buff a lot of other classes unnecessary.

So the bonus should be indeed in the proficiency.

So shield proficiency should have a level only attainable by fighters and perhaps thieves that:
    - adds a significant extra defense/protection bonus
    or
    - adds 1/2 or maybe even a full apr (my personal favorite)
    or
    - adds a chance to stun/knockback to every attack.

I was also thinking that maybe using a large shield could increase 'creature size' to large. But I'm not really sure of the actual benefits that would give. It might be overpowered or useless, no clue.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2013
    Better idea: Make it possible to use the shield as a second, blunt weapon, much like dual wield (toggleable) with off-hand THAC0 penalty (which is reduced with 2 and 3 pips).
    While the shield bash mode is active, you forfeit your shield's AC bonus.
    AC enhancement bonus counts as a weapon enhancement bonus (+To hit, +Damage) while this mode is active.
    On hit it has a chance to stun an enemy for 1 round (Save vs. Death)