Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Modding and directories

lucen15lucen15 Member Posts: 7
edited October 2013 in General Modding
Aight so i got a problem real simple but quite annoying, basically what is happening is that i am running Baldurs gate EE normally and fine without any problem whatsoever.

But now my solo F/M/T is at max level and has all the best equipment, so of course i looked up an XP CAP remover which directed me to this fine website.

So my problem is that i cannot get said mod to work and when i looked into my directories i discovered that my saved game where not in the designated d/steam/baldurs gate but instead it was located in c/documents.

Looking past that i tried first installing the mod in both places, copying the files from c/documents to d/steam/baldurs gate and from d/steam/baldurs gate to c/documents, i also looked into the steam window but i didnt find anything usefull out from there.

I have tried to run the launcher directly and even in admin mode but to no avail if anyone knows a quick fix or solution to this i would be much obliged.

Thanks in advance cheers :D

EDIT

also if you need my specs i can post it on request.

Comments

  • viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
    edited October 2013
    @lucen15 In directory d/steam/baldurs gate/ you should have directory /override (if not just create it). You should copy installation mod to d/steam/baldurs gate/ and install it there, new files should be created in directory d/steam/baldurs gate/override/

    Ah, I just saw http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10212/a-simple-xp-cap-remover/p1

    This mod haven't instalation program. Hmm, you should copy .2da files from archive to d/steam/baldurs gate/override/

  • lucen15lucen15 Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2013
    viader said:

    @lucen15 In directory d/steam/baldurs gate/ you should have directory /override (if not just create it). You should copy installation mod to d/steam/baldurs gate/ and install it there, new files should be created in directory d/steam/baldurs gate/override/

    Ah, I just saw http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10212/a-simple-xp-cap-remover/p1

    This mod haven't instalation program. Hmm, you should copy .2da files from archive to d/steam/baldurs gate/override/

    I am sorry i should have specified, i did create an override in both instances first here:
    C:\Users\lucas\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\override

    and then here:
    D:\Programs\SteamPowered\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\override

    the problem is that my:
    D:\Programs\SteamPowered\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition

    is completely empty! the save games go to the c drive in my documents and i dont know why, it is the exact same thing with skyrim and i dont know why it does it.

    EDIT

    I should also note that i have done a lot of modding both for the original baldurs gate, neverwinter nights 2 platinum and Skyrim but this is the first time i have ever run into this problem.

  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    @lucen15

    You should create the override directory in the same dir you have Baldur.exe file in. The correct path is probably 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\override\'.

  • lucen15lucen15 Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2013
    Wilbur said:

    @lucen15

    You should create the override directory in the same dir you have Baldur.exe file in. The correct path is probably 'D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\override\'.

    no luck at all my
    D:\Programs\SteamPowered\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\data folder did not contain baldur.exe and upon further investigation that file does not exist i do have BGEE.exe though and i asume you are refering to that one, i did place my override folder in the same folder as BGEE.exe and now i have tried to data/override and just dropping the XP cap remover files in my data folder both in:

    C:\Users\lucas\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\data
    C:\Users\lucas\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\data\override
    C:\Users\lucas\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition
    D:\Programs\SteamPowered\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    D:\Programs\SteamPowered\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\data
    D:\Programs\SteamPowered\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\data\override

    the BGEE.exe exist in both:
    D:\Programs\SteamPowered\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and:
    C:\Users\lucas\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition

    I have tried running both starters while in administrator mode and it is not working at all, i do realise that this may be a bit late and the source of the problem but should i try a completely new character?

    EDIT

    I am running windows 8 just so you know.

  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited October 2013
    @lucen15

    No I am referring to the directory with Baldur.exe. I have installed the game from Beamdog client so my folder structure is a bit different. I also have a BGEE.exe, but it's in folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\ and it's not where I have my override folder.
    I have Baldur.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\
    And I my override path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\override\

    Does the Steam installation have a folder called 00766 (or something like that) under the Data folder?

    Hope this helps :)

    Also I don't think you need to start a new character for the mod to work.

  • lucen15lucen15 Member Posts: 7
    Wilbur said:

    @lucen15

    No I am referring to the directory with Baldur.exe. I have installed the game from Beamdog client so my folder structure is a bit different. I also have a BGEE.exe, but it's in folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\ and it's not where I have my override folder.
    I have Baldur.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\
    And I my override path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\override\

    Does the Steam installation have a folder called 00766 (or something like that) under the Data folder?

    Hope this helps :)

    Also I don't think you need to start a new character for the mod to work.

    I am afriad not, but thinking about it i do not think the source of the problem is the game itself but something else.

    Considering the fact that my PC saves the games of, neverwinter nights 2, Skyrim, Baldurs gate EE and about a dousin more games in my Libraries\Documents i think that it has something to do with how i have things set up, maybe reinstalling baldurs gate or even steam will fix the problem.

  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited October 2013
    lucen15 said:

    Considering the fact that my PC saves the games of, neverwinter nights 2, Skyrim, Baldurs gate EE and about a dousin more games in my Libraries\Documents i think that it has something to do with how i have things set up, maybe reinstalling baldurs gate or even steam will fix the problem.

    I also have the saves in Libraries\Documents -folder on both my PCs so that shouldn't be a problem. I really can't think of anything else than try to locate the Baldur.exe file. Use the Windows search function if you can't find it otherwise. Do you have a desktop shortcut for BG:EE? If so from where does it start the BGEE.exe file?

    I have Windows 7 myself so I don't know if this is a Windows 8 related issue.

    lucen15
  • lucen15lucen15 Member Posts: 7
    alright i used the Windows 8 search windows to no avail before so this time i went into the computer and searched under all disks and i actually found it it was under E:\Games\Black isle for some reason but wait it get's eve better it's baldurs gate II shadows of amn, not even the same game what it does in the E Disk i have no idea i guess i was trying to set up a game folder and then forgot about it.

    But enough rambling, yes i found it but it was the wrong game :/

  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited October 2013
    I don't know.. maybe Steam install doesn't come with Baldur.exe file. I also have chitin.key, dbghelp.dll and decrypt.dll in the (00766) directory in which I have the override folder.

    Here's a screenshot from my PC:

    image

    Edit. The path is C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00766\

  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 737
    From what I read in the past, there is no such thing as Data\00766 in the Steam version. Everything that is in Data\00766 in the Beamdog version is in the base directory of the game in the Steam environment.
    BGEE.exe is the downloader in Beamdog and baldur.exe is the game itself. In Steam version, baldur.exe is renamed to BGEE.exe so that BGEE.exe is the game executable.

    The save game location is not a matter of choice and is enforced by the game executable in the same way for both types of installation. Save Games are stored in MyDocuments\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition, along with a few directories such as Portraits or Sounds used for customizing the main character.

    The override directory should be with the game executable, BGEE.exe for Steam or baldur.exe for Beamdog version. There shoud be a file called chitin.key at the same location and a subdirectory called lang.

    I don't have the Steam version so this information is based on data read in this forum in the past.

    Wilbur
  • lucen15lucen15 Member Posts: 7
    Wilbur said:

    I don't know.. maybe Steam install doesn't come with Baldur.exe file. I also have chitin.key, dbghelp.dll and decrypt.dll in the (00766) directory in which I have the override folder.

    Here's a screenshot from my PC:

    image

    Edit. The path is C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00766\

    Isaya said:

    From what I read in the past, there is no such thing as Data\00766 in the Steam version. Everything that is in Data\00766 in the Beamdog version is in the base directory of the game in the Steam environment.
    BGEE.exe is the downloader in Beamdog and baldur.exe is the game itself. In Steam version, baldur.exe is renamed to BGEE.exe so that BGEE.exe is the game executable.

    The save game location is not a matter of choice and is enforced by the game executable in the same way for both types of installation. Save Games are stored in MyDocuments\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition, along with a few directories such as Portraits or Sounds used for customizing the main character.

    The override directory should be with the game executable, BGEE.exe for Steam or baldur.exe for Beamdog version. There shoud be a file called chitin.key at the same location and a subdirectory called lang.

    I don't have the Steam version so this information is based on data read in this forum in the past.

    Thank you all for your responses i really appriciate it, sadly i will not be able to figure out what the problem was, reason being that i completely reinstalled the game, removed all the files from both

    D:\Programs\SteamPowered\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and
    C:\Users\lucas\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition

    i obviously backed my saves up and then copy pasted them back, after that i installed the override folder with the correct files in my
    D:\Programs\SteamPowered\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition folder

    it worked like a charm, i can now gain experience where once i was cursed with the inability to learn new things, Thanks again to viader, Wilbur and Isaya for your help in this even though the solution was so simple.

    I feel a little bad like i wasted everyones time with this so sorry about that anyway that is all folks have a good one.

    Wilbur
Sign In or Register to comment.