Skip to content

Rushing through Dorn's side quest (SPOILERS)

KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
From what I remember, Dorn's side quest is made up of three encounters: the first one is triggered by travelling to the Nashkel Mines area (provided you talked to him at the Friendly Arm). The second one is in the gibberling-infested area at the southeast corner of the map and is only accessible after Chapter 3 starts (and after talking to the lady standing outside the Nashkel Inn). The last one can only be accessed after Chapter 5 starts and you can finally enter Baldur's Gate.

However, even though the party I'm planning to use for my next game doesn't include Dorn, my PC is going to be a Bard so I'm really greedy for that elven chainmail you get after finishing his quest.

Suppose I just want to do his sidequest quickly without having him in my party for long. Is it possible? Do any of these encounters involve some sort of timed trigger?

My idea was to recruit him only once Chapter 5 starts, power through his encounters without doing any other quests and then dismiss him right after.

Don't judge me - I'm sure I'm not the only one who often recruits Neera only to get my hands at her gem bag and then ditches her seconds later. And that sounded way sleazier than it should have.

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I don't think you need to wait for chapter 3 to get to Kryll. Just travel around/rest a bit after picking up Dorn or go directly to the edge of the mines map and head east to Kryll's map. His dialogue about Taris and Kryll triggers fairly soon, but I don't think it has to happen before you can get to the map. So, pick up Dorn after Cloakwood Mines, travel to Nashkel (dialogue likely comes after 1 rest), then east of Nashkel Mines, then Simmeon across the bridge and done.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Thanks a lot. Maybe I can take him instead of Imoen to the Firewine dungeon considering he'd be more useful against those pesky kobolds.