Skip to content

Black Pits Party

So I just started playing the black pits two nights ago for the BG patch beta. I had never really dabbled with the black pits and made a party when the game first came out, when I was very inexperienced at baldurs gate. I feel much better about my char making abilities and am planning to start over because that party I made last decemeber is not great, and I have not used my money very wisely.

That said, I am planning on the following party:

Fighter (no kit)
Berserker
Dwarven Defender
Cleric (priest of Talos)
Archer
Dragon disciple

My other party had two casters and it wasn't really neccesary, and I bought some...stupid items. How would this party stack up on normal or hard difficulty? I intend to be thrifty until the third tier, and think that I should be able to go the distance with some good spell/priest choices. My other party is stuck at the tier 3 fight one (no spoilers so I won't say what) and I can't seem to overcome the enemies.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I play black pits with about four people, usually, so I can afford more items and level up just a smidgen faster. I also play mages more that fighters, a keep an Assassin around to do away with mages.
    My current party is:
    Berserker (dual wield daggers)
    14str, 15con, 15dex, 13int, 7 wis and 13cha.
    Cleric of lathander
    11str, 11con, 10dex, 16int 16wis, 13 con
    Conjurer
    9str, 15con, 15dex, 16int,14wis,11cha
    Assassin
    13str, 17dex,7con,14int,11wis,14cha.

They all have terrible stats and stupid weapon proficiency because I like playing with terrible characters, and it lends them a little more character then just maxing out essential stats and drooping everything else.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    2 mages and it is so easy 2x web at the beginning + bows and you will win everything beside last fight

my party was pretty much always

inquisitor 2hander + crossbow with bolts of lighting
    fighter/ilusionist
    fighter/ilusionist or blade
    some kind of druid like avenger/fighter druid or ranger2/cleric
    fighter/thief bow/long sword
    berserker2/cleric
    anti-paladin for poison
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited October 2013
    It would be good to have 2 tanks that can stand in the front and take a beating, an arcane caster is great for haste. I would probably run something like.

1.) Inquisitor - Dispel magic is well worth it and they are good fighters.

2.) Berserker (Dwarf) - Nice rage and makes a good tank. Make him dwarf for saving throws.

3.) Fighter/Cleric (Dwarf) - Give him a sling, shield and then either mace or hammer. Keep him in the back focusing on throwing spells and using his sling to disrupt the enemy casters.

4.) Skald - The song they have is AMAZING, it will help your entire party of melee monsters out. And you'll be able to get haste for him. He's primarily here to make sure your beatsticks do a better job.

5.) Archer - Give the guy a bow and let him be your main archer.

6.) Whatever you want.

You got two great fighters with the berserker and Inquisitor. The berserkers rage along with dwarven safe throws will keep him from getting shut down, the inquisitor is immune to hold and charm spell already and his dispel magic is very powerful. You also have a F/C that will throw out divine spells but if you build him correctly (18 STR) he'll be able to join in the middle of the battle with his melee weapon.

You got an amazing ranged character in your archer, and he'll focus on the squishy targets like mages and such. The skald should have equipped a crossbow (18 dex) and should be there to buff up your team with haste and then sing his song. Having a skald in your party is worth it even if he just sings the song, it's that powerful.

The last slot is completely up to you. You can bring in a F/T if you want a thief in the party, you don't even have to pick a last member and can go with 5 people instead for more experience and less money spent on items.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I like the idea of a bard. I've never had one in my party before. I think I will play around right now and make a new party :) Thanks for the tips ladies and gents.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    A fighter/mage (or fighter/illusionist for bonus spells & shorty saves) multiclass is pretty useful in the Black Pits. You get any party buffs you need as well as a solid tank once they get mirror image and some gear.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I made it past tier 3 round one with my new party, I had forgotten how to take down one of the enemies but had more money to distribute to correctly dispatch them.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    i now remember thief is pretty much useless here unless you want to buy potions for hiding

archers +web owns