Skip to content

Beamdog version is 75% off!!

2»

Comments

• DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    The $20 price seemed initial, to cover costs. It seems more like a $5 game, as a remake. The first episode BG had much more improvement, as the original production didn't have alternate language support, the largest feature, and the engine upgrade was much greater. Continued support for modern systems increases the audience support. It seems like rapid support for Android and Linux, and lower spectrum machines is more important than expanding content, and graphics feats. With a sales base multiple times the original series, many more copies could be sold. The second instalment can't be expected to be as popular as the first, but is an appealing expansion to the new system. Future enhancement could be developed later, to continue sales. The support at Steam has been discouraging, and I generally seek other sources for games.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Some intel on how long the sale lasts might be helpful. That goes for any and every game sold on Beamdog though if it's not standard practice allready. Like add a small line of text or a timer next to the "75%" discount badge thingie stating when the sale expires.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Now you have 75% off.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited October 2013
    It's quite sad to hear that developers even can't make profit from steam sales , i bought BG-EE/BG2-EE through beamdog and IOS version from apple-store , now i am waiting Andorid version , i know business is business , nobody can't change the rule , i just can pray more people can buy the game from the developer directly , otherwise no more money for their salary , how do we desire new features coming in the future,

Steam is quite strong gaming platform which support lots of different languages, if people don't know the english well , they even can't find Beamdog website, how can we desire they will buy the game from developers directly,

I only have one suggestion for developers , don't think too much and try to make the enhanced edition amazing as possible as they can ,

When people was touched by your efforts , they will pay more money to support your work,

God bless BG-Fans and Beamdog,
    Post edited by darrenkuo on
  • JustLeftJustLeft Member Posts: 76
    Why did the devs create Beamdog instead of going to Steam or GOG like everyone else?

They might have gotten smaller cuts but they would have gotten more sales.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    JustLeft said:

Why did the devs create Beamdog instead of going to Steam or GOG like everyone else?

They might have gotten smaller cuts but they would have gotten more sales.

If you look a bit into the history of Beamdog / Overhaul games, you'll see that you have things a bit backward.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    At any rate, this pushed me to buy - I'd already purchased the iPad version many moons ago, and had been screwing around with BGT on my PC - until now. So far, I have to say I'm impressed, presentation-wise.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Razor said:

Is it me or Beamdog game selection is reduced to overhaul games right now?

You can buy other games on there but at the moment you really have to work your way around the main page to find any of the other games they have.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Hopefully everyone got their fill of cheap Baldur's Gate this weekend. I friended two copies and 1 other friend bought his own. Hopefully the sale was a success in bringing in new people. I'm sure overhaul will see week over week figures and be happy with the numbers.

5 more weeks until BG2EE!!!!
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    I had purchased it from Steam originally, not understanding that this would be any different from buying it direct. However, I've been itching to get into the new patch ASAP, and so had considered buying the game again through Beamdog, but couldn't quite justify it. That's less of a problem now, so I've just purchased it again, through this site this time.
  • tarasistarasis Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2013
    Caved in the end and grabbed the Mac version. I will hold off on the iPad version till the big patch is released and it's next reduced in price (hopefully around the time BG2 is released). I nearly grabbed it but the price had already gone back up in price this morning, though the Mac/PC versions via Beamdog is still currently on sale (the Mac version I grabbed a couple of hours ago)

I dislike that the iPad version has all the extras as IAP, so even on sale it's still not cheap to get the full version. Paying $5 for the complete Mac version direct from Beamdog/Overhaul was an easy choice.

(I should add, I have already bought BG twice: normal and collectors edition years ago, so buying it again for $20 for largely the same game just was not on the cards. I've also bought BG2 twice, the original release, then ToB, then I had to buy the budget DVD complete version a few years back as my disc got scratched long before it was available digitally)
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Is it possible to make special side quest for Beamdog client customer ?

Or it is limited by contractual deal ?

I always don't like developers use this kind of way to treat gamers , but i don't see much advance in Beamdog client compare with Steam platform in this moment ,

I just feel if Beamdog can't make enough profit from the game , it would be very difficult to continue support future update,

No matter what i had decided to buy BG-EE/BG2-EE all paid DLCs and related pack through beamdog first in order to support this project,

But i also will buy steam version again after all related pack had been released from developers and i think the it will not have big impact for beamdog in that time,
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

@belgarathmth you are correct. Every time we hear about a sale we cringe. I'm personally against deep discounting, but when it happens we need to compete. I think BG:EE is a great game and post-patch it is going to be even better. I'm certain the game is worth more than $5, so selling at that price feels odd.

-Trent

Have you tried contacting steam seperately in order to discuss the problem?
    The may be legally entitled to do what they want, but that doesn't necessarily mean that
    1. They are aware of the impact of their decisions
    and 2. They want to potentially cause damage to their own reputation by screwing over smaller companies
    Maybe an affiliated team could work on extras for the product, to be available only at Beamdog, or collected of outside developer's extra, and eventually Beamdog could become successful enough to buy back their own product.

@belgarathmth you are correct. Every time we hear about a sale we cringe. I'm personally against deep discounting, but when it happens we need to compete. I think BG:EE is a great game and post-patch it is going to be even better. I'm certain the game is worth more than $5, so selling at that price feels odd.

-Trent

You make me doubt the well continuance of this.

Al the material was taken from a different product. You cant effectively translate a book, and put a new casing on it, and sell it as a new book. If you continue to make new original products of the same kind, you could sell them at regular new game price.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @DancingBugbear
    I think you're discounting the amount of work that was involved in creating the Enhanced Edition, and the need for the developers to, you know, eat.
    It has a massive potential size audience, with the translations, and prefollowing of the BG series. It can get with large sales the effect of a product with high price.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    This subject is complicated and I personaly don't know details but I'll leave my opinions and questions.
    Is Beamdog in control of the Steam release (profit and content)? If not will it ever be, with atari downfall?
    Thing is, Steam does sales, has always done. And every indie I know still wants to be there. Thats not because they think their game is worth less than 5$. Its because they know that 2$ on Steam means thousands of dollars to them. (and btw those indies even GIVE steam keys when they get in!)
    No one is judging product quality, its just how it works, it works for gamers because its cheap (and one can buy dlc if they really liked the game)-(which is why, bgee on steam, should be all pretty, with workshop and dlc available to buy... if that was possible.) and works for devs because they get 5 million online potential customers... But I don't think I have to say any of this?
    Guys, even EA is doing 75% sales, as much as I respect and understand your pain I think its clear what way is the way, and look the positive way, people end up buying double copies just to have it on Steam.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Steam does sales, but publishers/developers are usually the ones to make the decision about whether a game will go on sale or not, and if so, by how much.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    LiamEsler said:

Steam does sales, but publishers/developers are usually the ones to make the decision about whether a game will go on sale or not, and if so, by how much.

I agree, and if this wasn't the case then I must assume Atari is still in control and allowed it.
    I even admit that Steam might "force" some deals sometimes, but as you said it publishers/developers are usually the ones to make the decision.

• lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    Is the sale over already? It says $20 for me still...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Yep, the sale's over. It ended midnight last night (MST).
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    Blast. I got my timezones confused. Oh well, I'll have to wait out to the next one.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Dee said:

Yep, the sale's over.

Still picking it up for my brother's birthday this weekend. More monies for you then! Discounted or not, BG:EE is good value per dinero.