Skip to content

Spell Inmunity: Alteration and Time Stop

CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
I think Spell Inmunity: Alteration is supposed to give inmunity to Time-Stop, abd it will be something remarkable to add for BG2:EE, I know this wasn't i the original game, but Spell Inmunity is supposed to give A total inmunity to a singular Magic School.

Comments

• AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    This is paradoxic. You actually don't stop time but do a limited number of actions in a singular frame of time flow (in literally zero seconds).
    Only the caster observes it as if the time has frozen. For everyone else, it seems that the caster is doing everything in that instant moment.

That is why you cannot be immune to time stop.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    Except time stop only affects the caster, so spell protections are useless against it.

Time stop wraps the caster in a temporal field that allows them to perceive and move briefly in a bubble between moments of time. Some near-god beings like Demon princes, or outright gods can innately exist between moments in time, and if someone else creates such bubble they can move freely there as well.

Though in Bathazar's case, he's meshed his monk training with his spark of divine power to grant him a very limited form of that same ability, but it has to be used before the time stop occurs or he'll be unable to act.

There's an 8th level Alteration/Divination Spell that allows a similar thing (can't recall the name, have to look it up again). It works similar to a contingency spell that predicts when a time-stop is going to occur and allows the caster to move freely during that window of time but lacks the power to actually create that window, as the 9th level spell would. Lasts 1 hour per level or until activated.

On a side note, I'm not particularly fond of Spell Immunity as implemented.

1. It's supposed to be a cleric spell. (only applies to a single named spell, up to 4th level). (the mage version is 8th level and just gives a flat +10 save bonus vs spells, all schools)

2. No blanket immunity spell ever affects spells as high as itself. At it's current level it should only stop a single school of spells up to 5th level, at most (and never block dispel magic unless the dispel fails to remove SI:Abjuration first). Where as it's fellow 5th level immunity spell, Globe of Invulnerability blocks all spells up to 4th level.

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    It would be kind of overkill if a level 5 spell would make you immune to timestop in BG2.
    CrevsDaak
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited October 2013
    Time Stop doesn't stop time, it speeds the caster so it looks like that.

Spell Immunity grants protection from spells that affect the character, while Time Stop does not affect the character, but the one that cast it.

So, Spell Immunity cannot grant protection against Time Stop.
    [Enter the Matrix]
    CrevsDaak
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Weather or not it's time stopping or the caster moving incredibly fast it still bugs me that all my buffs wear off during this time.
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Mornmagor said:

Time Stop doesn't stop time, it speeds the caster so it looks like that.

Spell Immunity grants protection from spells that affect the character, while Time Stop does not affect the character, but the one that cast it.

So, Spell Immunity cannot grant protection against Time Stop.

There you are right, I checked Time Stop's AoE and, it only affects the caster (I checked the spell's effects in Near Infinity) and Spell Inmunity only protects the caster.

@ZanathKariashi

Yes, only Demogorgon (Prince of Demons, Amelyssan the Blackhearted and Baltazaar are inmune to Time Stop, I thought that Time Stop acctually was, literally stopping the time for 3 rounds as said in the description, and as its from the Alteration School, (and Spell Inmunity grants total protection to a single Magic School), I supposed that you could become imune to Time Stop with that spell.

Spell Inmunity lets you choose a Magic School and become inmunity to all its effects, unless you cast them on yourselve, if you choose Spell Inmunity: Evocation, you'll be inmune to Web too. Spell Inmunity: Divination is a better nondetection than Non-detection!

Also, with some easy editing to the SPL file, I could give Time Stop inmunity for the duration of the spell.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    From the 2ED AD&D Handbook:

"Upon casting a time stop spell, the wizard causes the flow of time to stop for one round in the area of effect. Outside this area the sphere seems to simply shimmer for an instant. Inside the sphere, the caster is free to act for 1d3 rounds of apparent time. The wizard can moove and act freely within the area where time is stopped, but all other creatures, except those of demigod and greater status or unique creatures, are frozen in their actions, for they are literally between ticks of the time clock. (The spell duration is subjective to the caster.) Nothing can enter the area of effect without being stopped in time also. If the wizard leaves the area, the spell is immediately negated. When the spell duration ceases, the wizard is again operating in normal time."

Seems a bit of a puzzle how anything could enter the area of effect. The fact that the description mentions the sphere shimmering for an instant suggests that from the position of someone standing outside, everything which happens inside would happen instantaneously.

In which case how could anything possibly enter the area of effect? Only those of demigod and greater status are immune, and potentially able to enter the sphere and they wouldn't be stopped in time by entering it.

The alternative explanation would be that someone on the outside looking in would see a sphere with everything stopped inside it (other than the wizard moving at triple speed). That outside person could move about freely for the 1 round duration, except that if they tried to enter the sphere, they would be stopped in time.

CrevsDaak
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Perhpas they should fix it then so time wouldn't pass during the Time Stop so buffs would last 2 round "longer", you wouldn't take damage over time etc.

The way Time Stop is implemented now in the game, it looks like it freezes everybody else and doesn't actually stop time or speed the caster.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    Is the "slayer" considered a demigod?
    edited October 2013
    If it was the true slayer, yes, but your version is just a faint shadow of the real thing (doesn't even look like the real slayer).

The Ravager isn't correct either, but it's at least powerful enough to qualify as a near god (demon prince level).
    edited October 2013

If it was the true slayer, yes, but your version is just a faint shadow of the real thing (doesn't even look like the real slayer).

The Ravager isn't correct either, but it's at least powerful enough to qualify as a near god (demon prince level).

The Ravager isn't too difficult, the real pain are the Bone Swords.
    And I never knew he was inmune to Time Stop, my charname (M/T multiclass) had only Summon Planetar memorized and Jan (Yawn Yawnsen) got it after that (he level'd up in the middle of the battle).

Altrough, as I said before, editing the SPL file is easy (with Near Infinity).
    Also, the Slayer would be a lot better if it has Time Stop inmunity, but The Slayer Change get useless at the end of ToB (in my personal opinion, its not THAT useful when you can cast Tenser's Trasformation + Protection fron energy + Protection from the Elements and a contingency with Protection from magical weapons, Improved Inbisibility, Protection from Magical energy and, previous to entering battle and casting Tenser's, Spell inmunity: Divination and STONESKIN (aka the most useful lvl 4 Spell, with Improved Invisibility as the 2nd one), the way to win a battle in ToB without ever thinking of using the Slayer Change and with a non-fighter class, wich do not get so many APR).

There's an 8th level Alteration/Divination Spell that allows a similar thing (can't recall the name).

Is that Spell from BG2 or from all the AD&D Spells??

1. It's supposed to be a cleric spell. (only applies to a single named spell, up to 4th level). (the mage version is 8th level and just gives a flat +10 save bonus vs spells, all schools)

2. No blanket immunity spell ever affects spells as high as itself. At it's current level it should only stop a single school of spells up to 5th level, at most (and never block dispel magic unless the dispel fails to remove SI:Abjuration first). Where as it's fellow 5th level immunity spell, Globe of Invulnerability blocks all spells up to 4th level.

Spell Inmunity is a lvl5 mage spell, that confers complete inmunity to all the offensive mage/cleric spell cast a the caster, but only from a single Magic School that you get to select.
    edited October 2013
    CrevsDaak said:

There's an 8th level Alteration/Divination Spell that allows a similar thing (can't recall the name).

Is that Spell from BG2 or from all the AD&D Spells??

Spell Inmunity is a lvl5 mage spell, that confers complete inmunity to all the offensive mage/cleric spell cast a the caster, but only from a single Magic School that you get to select.
    He is talking about the PnP version.
    edited October 2013
    @CrevsDaak

AD&D, and it's called Temporal Freedom (I added it to the new alteration/divination spells lists). It works like a contingency and fires off a 1 charge spell that lets the caster move during a time top or blocks spells like Temporal Stasis that attempt to lock the target outside the normal flowing of time.

Yes, I'm quite aware of what the current, wrongly implemented, spell immunity does.

Already added a request to have it either removed, or implemented properly.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
    CrevsDaak
    edited October 2013

@CrevsDaak

AD&D, and it's called Temporal Freedom.

Yes, I'm quite aware of what the current, wrongly implemented, spell immunity does.

Already added a request to have it either removed, or implemented properly.

So, lets add Temporal Freedom to BG2 and let all the mages cast as many Time Stops as their want!

About Time Stop, the original BG2 manual from SoA says it has a 6 rounds duration (while in-game description says 3 rounds).
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on