Skip to content

Bugs and the override folder

Hi, just bought the game yesterday through steam, and been trying to give it a go. Played through BG2 numerous times waaay back when, and BG1 through once. Didn't much care for BG1, which is why I only bought this now, on a whim, as it was on sale.

Anyhoo, ran into bugs right off the gate, and went in search of answers. The Firebead's Scroll quest in Candlekeep is unfinishable, and I found, on these forums, a "quick fix" that you were supposed to download and put in your override folder.

Only problem: no override folder anywhere. Found the post that listed possible locations, looked in all that applied, no override. Did a search of the whole computer, just to make sure. It doesn't exist. So, I created one, where I thought it should be at, and put the downloaded files there. Started a new game, no effect on the bug.

So, I moved the override folder to another of the possible locations, started a new game, no effect on the bug.

So I ignored the quest, despite my completionist nature which makes me hate lose ends, and went on my way. Only to find that meeting the duo Montaron and Xzar, their dialogue wouldn't trigger. Probably just a glitch that would fix itself with a reload of an earlier save, but I'd had enough.

If I can't get through the very first stages of the game without broken quests, and cannot find basic information like where EXACTLY the override folder has to be to work, it's just too much of a headache.

I would have expected that things like this would have been ironed out in patches by now, but apparently not. So.... I guess I'm shelving this game till a new patch comes out.

I would appreciate it, if someone in the know could tell me where to put the override folder, for future reference though.

Comments

• bdeonovicbdeonovic Member Posts: 86
    The bug fix won't fix a game that has already encountered Firebead I believe (that is probably what is happening to you). You will need to drop the fix into the correct override folder and then start a new game.

Yes it is very frustrating, and a patch is coming out soon that will include the fix.

This is a well documented bug, a hotfix is available (as you mentioned), but the bug won't be officially 'fixed' until the released of the next big patch.

Here is where you should put override:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18508/override-directory-locations

and here is the firebead fix files:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16308/firebeads-quest-thethoril-will-not-give-the-scroll/p1

I
  • SwordfishtromboneSwordfishtrombone Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the reply - however, I already did start a new game after putting the files in the override directory I created. And when that didn't work, I moved the override directory to another location, and AGAIN started a new game. No dice.

The thing is that my "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\" directory does not contain anything related to this game (or, for that matter, any other of my steam games), as my steam library is on a different drive.

The closest directories to the locations suggested by the post you link to that I have are
    "D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\"
    and
    "D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Data\"

Those are the two locations where I tried to create the Override folder, with the fix files. Neither worked.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited October 2013
    Do you have a folder called "00766" in the "Data" folder? If so, that's where the override folder goes (in the "00766" folder).
    No, unfortunately I don't. The Data folder has no sub folders.
    Gave it one more try, and figured out what went wrong - the folder name is case sensitive. I named it "Override", when it should be named "override". Wish they'd stressed that in the "override-directory-locations" post, would have saved me a lot of trial-and-error.
  • bdeonovicbdeonovic Member Posts: 86
    Glad you figured it out.