Skip to content

Tactics by Screenshots *Spoilers*

BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
edited October 2013 in Challenges and Playthroughs
Hi,

I recently discovered this thread, and started thinking it could be fun sharing both basic and advanced tactics by "screenshot guides". Most likely it could also be helpful for new players, while making sure any experienced player's ego is tended to.

For me a big part of the game is trying to work out the most efficient or the most creative ways of dealing with both everyday enemies and high-level bosses. That being said, I know that the example below is not the most creative I could've created.

Example (made in MS Paint):

I've marked the different characters and given them a short but descriptive title. The white lines obviously mark where I want them to move, while I also need to describe what the rest of the party is doing.

My main focus is initially to take out the archers in the back. The Rogue is a shadowdancer, so he gets to hide in plain sight and backstab, while the AC Warrior wears Boots of Speed and attracts alot of attention quite quickly (which is OK since his high AC can deal with it). As demonstrated on my screenshot these two characters take care of two out of three archers. Finally I've decided that there are two ways of taking out the last archer.

1) Have my Bard and my Mage cast Magic Missile on him immediately, which is almost guaranteed to kill him outright.
2) Have my Priest cast Command to make him unconscious for a short while. Afterwards he can be dealt with by ranged attacks from the Mage, the Priest and the Bard.

The first of the two options would definitely be the most efficient and safest, while the second option is to save spells for later but is riskier.

Anyone else interested?

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Reminds me of football diagrams! I think it would be interesting to see other people's strategies. But keep in mind there are many different options and the one you chose may not be applicable to everyone, and a big part of the fun in BG is coming up with your own strategy to fit your team. In that fight I think I just cast sleep and cleaned them up at my leisure.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    @nano Sleep works too!

The point of this thread was trying to get others to share their tactics, and it would've been interesting to see how much of a priority efficiency gets compared to creativity. Doesn't seem like the thread is going anywhere though.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Well, if I come up with anything interesting I'll post it, and I'm interested to see what else you have. Some strategies can be hard to capture in the form of a diagram though.

I guess I'll share a very basic one that came to mind, this is how to backstab with two characters when your weapons have different speed factors.

Coran is using a long sword and Monty a short sword, so if they both try to backstab from behind the enemy will turn around after the first backstab. So Monty gets in front of the enemy instead, and when it turns around to attack Coran...

Splat. Run, boys, run!

You want to backstab with the slowest weapon first so your second backstab comes out faster. It can take a bit of practice to get the timing right but it's pretty useful when you can do it consistently.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    @nano Nice one! I have no idea why I haven't thought of double backstabbing before. :D