Skip to content

Saturday spellcaster strategies #4: images and simulacrum

Thank you all for the great feedback on improving my use of spells. This time I need a little help on maximizing my use of illusions.

I only recently discovered that Mislead (level six) is useful for making the caster seem permanently invisible. Is there anything else I should know about it?

I have never used the level seven project image spell. It seems too limiting. Am I wrong?

My favorite level eight spell is simulacrum, but I doubt that I'm using it properly. It's good for saving scrolls (like the rare protection of magic) and leading summoned creatures around corners with a wizard eye... But I usually end up getting it killed before I cast a few acid arrows. Any advice on how to make this more useful?

Thanks again. I really love this forum.

Comments

• AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    Project Image lets you cast all your spells, and use all your items, and still have them left when the spell runs out. That's not limited, but awesome. The spell is actually far too powerful, so you have to decide whether to use it or not. Also, the limitation for max number of summons doesn't apply, so you could have for example seven Invisible Stalkers and seven Skeleton Warriors at your service after the PI spell runs out. And then double that with another PI.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    XerxesV said:

I only recently discovered that Mislead (level six) is useful for making the caster seem permanently invisible. Is there anything else I should know about it?

The way it's abusable by stashing the mislead image somewhere far away from the action is probably the main thing with it - but it's also useful as a fast-cast invisibility in the middle of things.

The other spells are very abusable as well, especially in a vanilla game where they have extensive item-usage capabilities and can make further copies of themselves.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Mislead -

What it does: Creates an image, as long as it exists the caster is invisible, no matter what.

What it's supposed to do: Creates a image of the caster (as per Spectral Force) to serve as a distraction (image can take damage like the caster can but is otherwise harmless and any apparently used attacks/spells/abilities do nothing), Caster is affected by improved invisibility (as per the spell). Neither the image nor invisibility have any relation to each other. It's simply casting 2 4th level spells simultaneously.

Project Image -

What it does: Creates a copy of the caster that can cast every spell you can, at full caster level, without expending your memorized spells, and can by-pass the 5 summon limit.

What it's supposed to do: Creates a fake copy of the caster that can cast every spell you can, at full caster level, used spells ARE expended on the caster. The image is simply a means for you to cast spells while keeping your mage at a safe distance, requires use of farsight or wizard's eye to direct the image's actions if it's out of LOS.

Simulacrum -

What it does: Creates a copy of the caster, with all their gear, except 2/3 their level. Vulnerable to true sight, dispel magic. Lasts 1 round per caster level.

What it should do: Creates a permanent copy of target creature fully under control of the caster until slain, Takes 2 rounds to cast and Hostile creatures get a save to avoid being duplicated. Has no gear when created, but can be equipped with anything the target creature could use. Level is randomly between 1/3 and 2/3 level of the target, can never increase by any means. Dispel magic and divination spells have no effect, as the creature is completely real and no more vulnerable then any other character is.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    @ZanathKariashi: Simulacrum isnt affected by True Sight. In the game, it does create a physical copy of a caster and cant be dispel.

Project Image can be further abused w/ Chain Contingency condition (ie caster becomes helpless). You can instantly create 4 clones of yourself and construct a massive army of planetars in the nick of time.

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    I'll have to double check, it used to be (detect illusion thief skill I know for sure will remove them). But that's good if it isn't now, since that's another step closer to PnP-accuracy.
  • magpiemagpie Member Posts: 79
    Note that your simulacrum can use the copied quick slot consumables as well, pretty much giving you replenishable consumables. Especially if one of those is a wish scroll ;)

Also beautiful cheese with the HLA bard song, because the effects stack, and every copy can use it.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Mislead can be used to backstab forever if you're a T/M of some sort.