Skip to content

Any love for Norse Mythology?

MikeMike Member Posts: 65
I have been doing some research on some of the gods of the Norsemen. It seems like D&D spawned a lot of it's ideas from Norse Mythology - though I may be totally wrong. At any rate I was just drawing up some weapon ideas and wanted to get a feel of how it would be received if I decided to make a "Norse Mythological Weapons Pack MOD". Here are just a few ideas I have. Thanks for any feedback.

Hǫfuð
Sword of Heimdallr +1
This infamous sword once belonged to the Norse god, Heimdallr, who was the gatekeeper for Asgard – home of Odin. Heimdallr was famous for his extraordinary senses of sight and hearing.

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities:
- Three times per day grants wielder clairvoyance.
- Three times per day grants wielder farsight.

THAC0: +1
Damage: 1d10 +3 (slashing)
Speed Factor: 8
Proficiency Type: Two-handed Sword
Type: Two-handed
Requires:
13 Strength

Weight: 15

Chitauri
Staff of Loki +1
It is believed that this staff once belonged to the Norse god, Loki. Whoever wields this staff is imbued with certain powers once possessed by the fallen god. Loki was infamous for his ability to control minds and change his form at will.

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities:
- Three times per day grants wielder shapeshift.
- Three times per day grants wielder domination.

THAC0: +1
Damage: 1d6 +3 (crushing)
Speed Factor: 4
Proficiency Type: Quarterstaff
Requires:
5 Strength

Weight: 4

Gungnir
Spear of Odin +5
The legendary spear of Odin was crafted by the dwarfs known as the Sons of Ivaldi under the mastery of the blacksmith dwarf Dvalin. The spear was obtained from the dwarfs by Loki, the results of a scheme he concocted as partial reparation for his cutting of the goddess Sif's hair. The spear is described as being so well balanced that it could strike any target, no matter the skill or strength of the wielder.

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities:
- Grants wielder grand mastery in spears.
- Grants 25% magic resistance.
- Wielder can teleport at will.

THAC0: +5
Damage: 1d6 +3(piercing)
Speed Factor: 1
Proficiency Type: Spear
Requires:
5 Strength

Weight: 5

Mjölnir
Hammer of Thor +3
Possibly the most famous of all weapons – the mighty hammer of Thor confers several attributes from Odin’s most famous son, Thor, to its wielder. It is said that this weapon could level mountains and as such, requires a tremendous amount of strength to wield.

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities:
- Grants wielder grand mastery in Warhammer.
- Grants 5 extra strength while equipped.
- Three times per day can cast Call Lightning.
- 2% chance to kill target instantly.

THAC0: +3
Damage: 1d4 +5(crushing)
Speed Factor: 3
Proficiency Type: Warhammer
Requires:
20 Strength

Weight: 250

Comments

• revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Are these intended for BG:EE or BG2? They seem a bit over powered for BG:EE, but mostly in line for BG2. The one thing I would be wary of if intended for BG2 are the weapons granting GM. That is an ability that has not been seen yet, and feels a bit OP to me. Giving auto GM gives another 3 THACO, 5 Dmg, 1 apr, and some extra speed. That puts these weapons on par with the best weapons in TOB.
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    Vikings!
  • MikeMike Member Posts: 65
    revaar said:

Are these intended for BG:EE or BG2? They seem a bit over powered for BG:EE, but mostly in line for BG2. The one thing I would be wary of if intended for BG2 are the weapons granting GM. That is an ability that has not been seen yet, and feels a bit OP to me. Giving auto GM gives another 3 THACO, 5 Dmg, 1 apr, and some extra speed. That puts these weapons on par with the best weapons in TOB.

Yeah granting GM does seem a little much huh? Maybe just mastery level then and reduce damages and THAC0 bonuses to +1?
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    Only if we could do something for Icewind Dale..
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Baldur was the god of poetry, and... Baldur's Gate...
    He could have a Harp with some helpful things like Enhanced Bard Song while in a quick slot or like Create Goodberrys twice a day.
  • SidemiSidemi Member Posts: 70
    Based on mythology... Gungnir should set character wisdom to 25. That one-eyed bastard was pretty wise (not caused by spear itself but still..).
    By the way - relevant profile picture. :)
  • fujisanfujisan Member Posts: 33
    I like them but think that spear and hammer are overpowered for bgee and would hold off until bg2. Incidentally if you have played TOB there is a sword called "Gram - The sword of grief" that was previously owned by a guy called Seigfried which comes from Norse mythology IIRC.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    CrevsDaak said:

Well, more like the god of uselessness. I don't think it was ever established he was the god of anything. Some say he was just an addition to the pantheon after they had heard about jesus and added a similar god to the heirarchy of the pantheon under Odinn. He dies at least in the end just to be resurrected after the end of the gods (ragnarok). Oh and "Bragi" is the god of poetry.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Worg said:

CrevsDaak said:

Well, more like the god of uselessness. I don't think it was ever established he was the god of anything. Some say he was just an addition to the pantheon after they had heard about jesus and added a similar god to the heirarchy of the pantheon under Odinn. He dies at least in the end just to be resurrected after the end of the gods (ragnarok). Oh and "Bragi" is the god of poetry.
    Yes, you are right (just checked the book I have about Norse Mythology), but, the funniest thing ever happened to me was, I thought that in BG1, you were Odinn's demigod son, who born just to avenge his dead half-brother (Baldur), who died at the hands a blind god (can't remember his name, nor the name of the one that avenges Baldur), so, I thought the phrase "Baldur's Gate" was related to the doors of hell (The Nine Hells).
    And, the Sword of Ras (Dancing Sword+2) in BG2 reminds me of (that time waaaay back) a god that gave it to a giant for his daughter (again, I can't remember the names!).