Skip to content

Importing 3 Characters into BG2EE - Weapon advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It may be worth giving your Stalker some pips in scimitars or shortswords for Belm or Kundane as an offhand. Both give +1 APR in addition to other things, making them some of the best choices for dual-wielders.

I assume you're using quarterstaves for backstabbing on the F/T in which case there are many staves of high enchantment available early. For ranged weapons shortbows (Gesen/Tansheron/Tuigan) and crossbows (Firetooth) both have very solid choices.

For the C/R, Flails, Maces and maybe Hammers is all you'll need if your Stalker has clubs already.
    [Deleted User]
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    Sling of Everard for the R/C. Already planning on FoA. Improved Mace of disruption is also pretty sweet, and can basically one-shot undead (usually never takes more then 1-2 hits each, even on a Demi-lich) also includes passive NPP, so you could pass it to one of the other guys for level drain-protection once your C/R has amulet of power.

Crimson dart and staff of the ram for the F/T. Replace with Firetooth (returning dagger) once you get to the Underdark (2d4+3, +2 fire damage, gets strength bonus, will GROSSLY out-damage most other ranged weapons, depending on str score)

Blade of roses makes an excellent early BSing longsword, pretty cheap too (deals 2d4+3 instead of the normal 1d8+3 giving it a slightly more consistently higher BS).

Gnasher is an awesome club. It's only +2, but that dot effect it applies on every hit is just plain nasty, and is effective vs the vast majority of enemies. You could also use it as an opening BS, if you don't think your other weapons could kill a target in 1 hit, to add some disruption for a couple rounds).
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
    [Deleted User]EudaemoniumJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited October 2013
    Elf Stalker has these profs:
    ** longsword
    * longbow
    ** clubs
    *** two weapon fighting
    bastard sword or hammer + dual wielding with +1 apr weapon

Halfling Fighter/Thief has these:
    ** darts
    ** quarterstaff
    * longbow
    * two handed weapon style
    something like katana/wakizashi/ninja-to dualwield

Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger has these:
    ** mace
    ** slings
    ***two weapon fighting
    * flails (for flail of ages, one of the weapons I remembered)
    flails

you actually have nice weapons picked i think the most uncommon is quarterstaff for f/t but still ok even in bg1

if they are separated and not a team i would give anyone foa + 2nd good weapon like katana for backstabing etc.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited October 2013
    thespace said:

Corvino said:

For the C/R, Flails, Maces and maybe Hammers is all you'll need if your Stalker has clubs already.

To clarify, these 3 characters represent 3 different play-throughs. They won't be traveling together, except maybe in the Black Pits. I chose clubs for the Stalker b/c they are the only duel-wield blunt backstabbing weapon. How do hammers compare to clubs in BG2?
    hammer is better than club for non cleric/paladin
    [Deleted User]
  • Like others have said, get some pips into scimitar or short sword for a speed weapon on the Stalker and it's pretty much set. Short sword would benefit from the Elf's racial bonus, but that won't be particularly relevant for long. Long swords are great throughout the saga, and Angurvadal even has a 0 speed factor so it makes a reasonable one-handed backstabbing weapon.

On your F/T, I would second the idea of using throwing daggers (especially since Firetooth should be adding STR damage in BG2EE, which I believe it didn't in vanilla). If you aren't taking Keldorn in that group, consider picking up two-handed sword proficiency for using Carsomyr once you have Use Any Item; you won't be able to backstab with it, but it has some excellent utility. The second pip in Two-handed style isn't particularly useful.

Once you have the second pip in Flails on your R/C, that'll be all you really need. Hammers are as good a place as any to sink your pips in after that.
    [Deleted User]
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Clubs are a bit odd in BG2. There are 2 available in the Druid Grove quest, Gnasher +2 with a damage-over-time component and Blackblood +3 which does bonus acid damage. But those are the only notable ones until deep in Watcher's keep. If you've got 2 pips in clubs already then Blackblood is a good weapon to keep around for Troll killing. Watcher's Keep has the club of detonation, which has the interesting on-hit effect of dropping a fireball on your melee target 7% of the time. It wouldn't surprise me if BG:EE added a couple of new clubs to balance this out.

I'm not convinced by throwing daggers, especially for a Halfling who won't have above 18 strength until the end of BG2 (unless you use a strength girdle that may benefit someone else more). There are also only 2 magical throwing daggers, one of which is bought in the Underdark and the other generally requires the use of Limited Wish (a level 7 spell, not available immediately) to get (unless you get a bit axe-happy on poor Captain Dennis). For this particular Halfling you could go with this convoluted way of min-maxing, or you could use the tried and tested Tuigan Bow/Tansheron's Bow/Gesen Bow route.
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2013
  • thespace said:

Corvino said:

For this particular Halfling you could go with this convoluted way of min-maxing, or you could use the tried and tested Tuigan Bow/Tansheron's Bow/Gesen Bow route.

Are these shortbows? Just curious. It is likely that I will take Mazzy (who, if memory serves, I know is already a short bow bad ass) along with Jan Jansen (crossbows), maybe even trying to amass a party of all-shorties, as that is what I did with this character through BG1:
    Yep, they're all short bows. Tuigan has a base 3 APR, which makes it great for your F/T, while Mazzy can use Gesen (one of the most damaging ranged weapons in the game thanks to ammunition stacking).

I'm imagining you'll be using a strength girdle, though, as a Halfling F/T benefits greatly from such an item. Assuming magical throwing daggers properly benefit from Strength in BG2EE (probably a safe assumption since they do in BGEE), the hefty damage bonus from a high strength can outweigh the extra attack you'd get from Tuigan, especially since damage bonuses for bows are pretty uncommon in BG2. On the other hand, no special effects from magical arrows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2013
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    And you don't get Firetooth (dagger) until you've already had the opportunity to get a Gauntlet of ogre power (18/00), Mauler's Arm mace (18/00)), Hill giant str belt (19 str), Storm Giant belt (20 str), and Frost Giant str belt (21 str). And there's still a 22 str belt and longsword coming in ToB.

And getting to LUM isn't hard even if you were lacking in str increasing items, and allows you to reach 19, which is all you need to easily make thrown daggers the best. (and if you don't mind being evil, can get a +3 str bonus during one segment of the late game).

No...no one is missing any str increasing items.

Crimson Dart is good for the early game since you lack any bows worth a crap until after Spellhold, or they could use the Boomerang Dagger+2, which while not as badass as Firetooth (dagger), is still easily one of the strongest ranged weapons at that stage of the game (str depending).

And if you're planning to back stab, then yes, your Backstabber should have as high a str score as you can manage since it increases the likelihood of instantly killing a target (both through additional hit chance and damage), assuming you're hitting something less squishy then a mage.

As for bow ammo...unless BG2:EE does something...no..there is no special ammo worth a crap. They do exist, but you have to farm them off enemies in very tiny supplies, and most damage dealing arrows were heavily nerfed. Bows are only able to compete due to ammo stacking, which would otherwise render them useless. And longbows are completely worthless as all the bows that can abuse ammo stacking are shortbows.

Strong Arm could useful, if it had the proper damage bonus for it's str requirement (a bow is supposed to allow whatever damage bonus it's minimum required str gives)...but it doesn't (just +3 instead of +7).
    JuliusBorisov