Skip to content

Xanar's beta bugs and random observations (not all correct)

XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
edited October 2013 in The Road to v1.2
Imported Characters are retaining items, spells and abilities from their previous game. This has been an issue for me since the beginning with BG:EE. IIRC in vanilla BG1 , all items were removed from the inventory and all abilities and spells were lost when a character was imported into a new game. This may be due to importing characters from older versions. I will test again this afternoon once I've played with a PC created on this last beta patch.
Post edited by Xanar on

Comments

• XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    After applying this morning's update the journal no longer works. There were no mods installed so, game corruption is very unlikely, but I'm doing a new install now and will not be using any mods until the beta is completed. Updates will come later today after the fresh install.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    Xanar said:

Imported Characters are retaining items, spells and abilities from their previous game. This has been an issue for me since the beginning with BG:EE. IIRC in vanilla BG1 , all items were removed from the inventory and all abilities and spells were lost when a character was imported into a new game. This may be due to importing characters from older versions. I will test again this afternoon once I've played with a PC created on this last beta patch.

BG1 vanilla kept all items, spells, and abilities. It was possible back in the day to get many more than 6 casts of the bhaalspawns special abilities (they wouldn't carry over to BG2 though). Maybe its because we are at a different point in terms of updating (I did get an update late last night/early in the morning) but I just tested it myself and I wasn't able to keep any abilities other than those that came with my class (like set traps).
    edited October 2013
    @Elminster Good to know. Apparently I recall incorrectly in this case :D Still seems like a bug to me, but at least it's an old one. I updated at 9am PST and it was still present. Still working on the new install and should be able to test again within the hour.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Definitely working as designed.

Can you be a little more specific with regard to the journal?
    edited October 2013
    @Dee...It was completely blank except for mention of Shank's attack. Nothing in Current or completed quests though I had done all in Candlekeep. It is possible it's a corruption. I'm 15 minutes away from a new game now and will update.
    Post edited by Xanar on
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    edited October 2013
    @Xanar All quests and done quests disappeared from my journal after an update as well (on a saved game in chapter 5), but on october 9. Normal journal entries were still there.

All quest entries returned after I completed a quest that I had obtained before the blank-bug and reloaded the game. I'm not sure that is what fixed the issue, though.
    edited October 2013
    @Basillicum Cool, thanks! Now I don't know if the new install fixed it (I doubt it. There were no mods installed) or just the fact I restarted.
    Post edited by Xanar on
    edited October 2013
    OK, a new thing. Used to be priest spells could be selected and deselected on character creation. Now they can't be cleared once clicked, but multiple uses of the same spell can be. It'd be a cool feature to memorize the same spell a few times if desired (maybe that was the idea). Now the only option is to back up (via back button) in the creation process and start over with spells. Tested on my cleric/thief and again on a human cleric. Right lick, hmm... Not a bug, sorry.
    Post edited by Xanar on
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Use right click to deselect a spell or reduce the amount.
    edited October 2013
    @Isaya Thanks. I don't know if that's new or I just never noticed. So, after thinking a bit, this is actually a recent improvement. It wasn't possible to select the same spell more than once before. Thanks devs, it's a nice touch.
    Post edited by Xanar on
    Just arrived at carnival and Nashkel movie played. No idea if this is a bug or not since I don't recall skipping Nashkel in previous plays.
    Not a bug, just a note. Imoen's alignment is now neutral good. I'm not sure it fits her, but it can be easily modded after the beta.
    Xanar said:

Not a bug, just a note. Imoen's alignment is now neutral good. I'm not sure it fits her, but it can be easily modded after the beta.

I'm quite sure her alignment has always been Neutral Good.
    You are correct, Basillicum. hahaha! How did I never realize this? I'd love to blame the painkillers, but I always thought she was CG.
    The new spell lists for mage and priest are really nice. Having the spells and their borders change color after use is genius.
    Another nice addition: projectiles that are being used have a grey background so it's easy to tell which are equipped.
    Neera encounter has been made more difficult. She no longer tanks the 2 Thayan bodyguards while taking spell damage from the Thayan wizard. Much more realistic now.
    edited October 2013
    Feldpost's Inn door has the same issue as the one near FAI. It is open but appears closed. I'm pretty sure it changed after I left the Beregost map. Update: It's actually all the doors in Beregost that were previously open, but it definitely happened after leaving town and returning.
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    Xanar said:

it has always been NG
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Xanar said:

Just arrived at carnival and Nashkel movie played. No idea if this is a bug or not since I don't recall skipping Nashkel in previous plays.

That's default BG1 behaviour. Going to the carnival before Nashkel has always been an alternate way to trigger chapter 2.
    edited October 2013
    Already seen this mentioned; Clicking on "death" screen crashes the game to desktop. Gorion cut-scene crashes to desktop randomly. 2 of 5 encounters thus far.
    Xanar said:

Already seen this mentioned; Clicking on "death" screen crashes the game to desktop.

Not in all cases, though. I reported a crash like this here.
    Twice now, once vs. Nimbul and again vs. Zordral the party was warded against fear but had "confusion" clouds over their heads after horror was cast. It didn't affect them, but IIRC thier markers would turn yellow and they'd flee before. Could be an improvement and intended, but why bother when they are immune?.image
    I am confused. Why are small shields penalizing AC vs. missiles? Plain version worsens AC by 1. Small shield +1 is raising AC (vs. missiles) by 2. The description says it provides no protection vs missiles not that it gives a penalty. It doesn't seem like it should work this way. Most playthroughs have been characters that can't use one so, I'm at a loss.
    No replies to the contrary so, this must be a bug or description for small shields should show the AC penalty. Equip boots of avoidance and girdle of piercing. Ac vs. missile -8. Equip small shield +1. AC vs. missile becomes -6. Equip plain small shield. AC vs. missile -7. Equip med shield-no change. Equip large shield- AC -9 vs missiles.
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    No, this is normal.

The small shield provides a 'base' AC bonus, which is an AC bonus versus everything. To simulate the fact that it provides no bonus versus missiles, you get a -1 penalty to missiles. The +2 small shield provides a +2 AC bonus, so to cancel out that protection vs missiles, it adds a -2 penalty.
    edited October 2013
    Adoy's enclave bugs. Rogdok spawned inside Adoy's room not outside its door. Also, this post...
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8110/a-guide-to-new-magic-items-spoilers/p1
    says one of the 2 static drops for the stoneskin scrolls is in Adoy's room, but it did not drop. Bug or only a chance to be found here?
    Sling of Unerring Accuracy +2 has appearance of a non-magical sling.
    Xanar said:

Sling of Unerring Accuracy +2 has appearance of a non-magical sling.

That bothered me as well, but I doubt it's something that will be a priority to change. Wishing it changed is probably fit for Feature Requests, I'm guessing.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Xanar said:

Adoy's enclave bugs. Rogdok spawned inside Adoy's room not outside its door. Also, this post...
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8110/a-guide-to-new-magic-items-spoilers/p1
    says one of the 2 static drops for the stoneskin scrolls is in Adoy's room, but it did not drop. Bug or only a chance to be found here?

If you don't kill the mage fast enough, he ll use the scroll on himself :)