Skip to content

Managing evil and reputation

Right now I'm playing a good/neutral party, but I'm really just doing it because I tried rolling as evil and it was turning into a mess. I looked up some rep charts and determined my rep could get down to 6 before I started having problems with guards randomly spawning, but unfortunately I managed to whittle it down a little too quickly- not hard to do, seeing as chaotic evil starts with only an 8 rep- and created a snowball effect. It actually wasn't a problem for my ridiculous half-orc fighter, but her entire party was getting blown up because they were all level 1 or 2.

I realize you can't just go around being a terrible person until you're strong enough to handle the repercussions, but looking down the road, it seemed like there was no real way to keep your rep from cratering unless you spend a boatload of money on keeping it up through charitable donations. And unless you do that, you'll end up not being able to buy anything from shops on top of being assaulted by guards in every town (even if you can handle it, I imagine it's quite a pain).

So if you've played a successful evil group, how did you manage your reputation? Did you have to know when you'd get a rep hit for certain behavior so you could avoid it? Did you actually play somewhat like a goody two-shoes at the start so you could create rep padding until you were able to be your most terrible, evil self? Or is there a way to just be awful from the start and still manage to make it through?

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Short answer: be a Villain With Good Publicity, not Stupid Evil.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    edited October 2013
    Easily. G3Tweak has compenent that prevents the leaving of party due to the reputation. It makes no sense that Kagain would leave a party while he is earning lots of money and gaing magical items. Similarly Edwin or Eldoth. Montaron or Shar-Teel would probably leave. Regrettably the reputation system in BG is very bad.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @KidCarnival: 14 Rep will give you the Good dreams and powers, though...
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Yeah, the rep system is pretty bad.

But the short answer is, when you are low level and crunchable, be painfully nice to everyone, just knowing that some day you will drive them before you and hear the lamentation of their women as you grind them under your iron boot heel at higher levels.

Think of a bully in the playground. He isn't going to go out day one and start picking on other kids. he will wait until he has a possey and a good backing. And he isn't going to be rude to the teachers until he knows that he can get away with it. Once he gets his power base up though, it is all over but the crying.

Same with BG. go and explore. You should be able to get to level 3-4 by the time the mines are cleared out. Keep your rep low enough so that you get the negative dreams, but don't go around killing people for looking at you cross-eyed until after you have some decent armor and weapons. THEN kill em all. If nothing else, it will really jack up your XP later on because you will have the blood of so many wimpy Flaming Fist guards on your hands that you won't be able to sell their armor fast enough.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, no one gets to be an evil overlord straight out of Candlekeep. You have to earn it, and at first it's going to mean a lot of butt kissing and flattery and being pushed around. But bide your time, and once you get the power you deserve... oh, they'll pay.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    shawne said:

@KidCarnival: 14 Rep will give you the Good dreams and powers, though...

It's the maximum. My average is usually 8 - 9, 14 is just when I actively lower it.