Skip to content

Blade spins/day question

ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
According to the kit description, blades receive an extra 'spin' (both offensive and defensive) every four levels (starting with one of each at 1st level).

In BGEE this means that blades gain additional spins at levels 5, 9, etc. (1+4+4...).

My memory of blades in BG2 is that they gained additional spins at levels 4, 8, 12, etc. (i.e., at every fourth level, plus 1st level).

Is my recollection correct? Or was it always the case that additional spins were gained at levels 5, 9, etc.?

Thanks!

Comments

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    It was always the case.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    OK, thanks! (My memory must be failing from old age...)
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I tried blades, and I was sorely disappointed with their combat ability. Back to f/m
    My blade is kicking some serious arse. I tried f/m but didn't care for the slow progression rate.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I prefer a fighter dualed to a mage.
    I have nothing against either the fighter/mage (multi-class) or fighter->mage (dual-class) options, and would consider playing either one in the future.

However, I do find multi-class characters a bit too slow to progress for my tastes, and dual-class characters can be frustrating for long periods of time (depending at what level one switches to the new class).

What I like about the blade, in addition to its relatively fast progression rate, is its wide variety of different abilities. I like the offensive and defensive spins, the ability to cast arcane spells (some of which, like magic missile, bards are better at than mages with the same amount of experience points, thanks to the faster progression rate for bards), the ability to pick pockets, etc. I also prefer the bard stronghold in BG2 over the mage and fighter ones (though the mage stronghold is my second favourite).

A fighter/mage or fighter->mage may be more powerful in the long run, but I find the blade to be an effective and enjoyable class. (However, I wouldn't play the other bard classes, except perhaps the jester.)
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    Currently the Blade's description has this to say about Spins:
    May use the Offensive Spin and Defensive Spin abilities once per day every 4 levels.

Nowhere does it say that you start the game with one use. I think the description should be edited.

Suggestion:
    Starts the game with one use of the Offensive Spin and Defensive Spin abilities. Gains another use of both every 4th level after 1st.