Skip to content

Irenicus question

hi all, =D
i have been wondering for some time now ever since the original baldur's gate but why did irenicus chose the PC instead of the other thousand of bhaalspawns as shown in TOB?
i mean he could have taken the same divine soul from a farmer bhaalspawn and still attain immortality and without the risk of him/her foiling her plan as they are more likely to completely succumb to their slayer and be put down by other heroes.
What are your opinions? is Irenicus just another wage with 0 wisdom to have chosen the PC?

Comments

• AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I believe Jon chose the PC because he/she was the most powerful one that was closest to him a the time. I don't believe that every Bhaalspawn would work. The PC is special because he is quite aware and in control of the taint within him.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Somewhere in ToB it is revealed, I believe by Yaga-Shura (or rather his spirit), that Bhaal's essence was not divided equally among his spawn. The Five, and the PC (and probably Sarevok), were among those to get larger slices of the cake.

If we assume Irenicus didn't want just *a* divine soul, but a badass one, he might have aimed for the PC because of the PC's proficiency at kicking ass, which might imply plentiful Bhaal essence. Too, he needed a soul for Bodhi, and since you were dragging Imoen around...

Plus, suppose he considered one of the Five. Firstly, he divined that the pitiful Illasera got her membership among the Five from a cereal box, so he didn't bother with her. For Yaga-Shura or Abazigal he would have needed a way bigger cage and there's only so much gold he's willing to spend to become a god. And Sendai, can you imagine the political mess he'd get into? I'm gonna screw over a drow so I can screw over some elves? What message does this send?!

I'll leave Balthazar to someone else :)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    I still say he was going for Sarevok, and only ended up with you when you took Sarevok down.

You're some no-name weakling who doesn't even begin to develop his talents until you set out on your journey, and by Centeol's statements Irenicus has already been there for some time. Meanwhile Sarevok is a very powerful, driven individual who has been hunting down other Bhaalspawn for some time, and has clearly shown himself to be a likely candidate for fulfilling the prophecies.

Also, Sarevok admits himself in ToB that he was approached by a liaison of the 5 to join their little scheme and considered them a bunch of weaklings and planned to grab power for himself, by his own strength.
  • kinghunter74kinghunter74 Member Posts: 27
    hmm, but i thought all he wanted to was to have some semblance of his elf side back and to invade Suldanessellar and claim godhood by sucking the tree in the city? O.o

if such as the case, a farmer would have worked just fine and no one would have even know that the city was under attack until he became a god. =P

Clearly, he never thought things through or was just plain arrogant.
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    edited October 2013
    Because if he didn't choose you there wouldn't be a Baldurs Gate SoA or ToB.

Just like the reason as to why Gandalf didn't send Frodo on a eagle to begin with to just drop the ring in the volcano, there wouldn't be any movies.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Sarevokok said:

Just like the reason as to why Gandalf didn't send Frodo on a eagle to begin with to just drop the ring in the volcano, there wouldn't be any movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqVD0swvWU
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Sarevokok said:

So basically....bad writing?
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    @Awong124

Yeah..that pretty much covers it.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    We should also consider, based on his every comment, journal, and others' observations of him, that Irenicus was listless, unfocused, and more than a bit insane as a result of his elf essence being removed.

We're trying to apply logic to the plans of a mad man.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    I'm sure some supernerd could tell us how "realistic" it is that the PC survives for so long without a soul, and without succumbing to the taint that fills the void. Because it sure as hell surprises Irenicus that you're still alive, and perhaps he was very very right to consider you practically gone from the equation?
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    Is the Charname really all that to irenicus at the end of BG1? Tbh he went out and picked him up like doing groceries. I could be quite possible that the mere lvl 6 or 7 Charname was actually still one of the weakest Baalsphawn in the area.

I mean, just look at how much more powerful you and your party actually have to get to be a match for him.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    It should be noted that we don't know what Irenicus time schedule was, or even if he even planned to use CHARNAME and Imoen in the end. All we know was that he was experimenting on them and finding out if they were suitable (and the whole "you have much untapped power, do you even realise your potential" spiel makes it seem like he wanted something more out of CHARNAME). Then, when the Cowled Wizards got involved following the destruction in the Promenade, he simply had to seize the moment and the opportunity it presented, even if it was ahead of time.
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    edited October 2013
    The answer to OP's question is simply that Charname *is* a farmer Bhaalspawn compared to Irenicus.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited October 2013
    do we know how hard it is to actually find bhaal spawn it may just be that charname was the first suitable candidate that Irenicus found. lets face it Serevok didn't exactly hide your heeritage well, there were probably a few around who could tip of Irenicus to serevok and charnames heritage making him relatively easy to find

finaly and most likely imo, i'd say irenicus probably didn't even factor in the chance that he could be defeated by any bhaal spawn he may have captured
  • riyahhassettriyahhassett Member Posts: 59
    I bet Jon had killed other bhaal spawn while trying to unlock thier true potential. Lots of guys in glass containers in his lab. Just saying that bhaal spawn were around prior to the times of troubles and there are literal thousand of them to play with.