Skip to content

Opinions on Baldur's Gate: Reloaded?

I am totally new to Baldur's Gate and D&D as I have already explained in my introduction thread. But over the last few days I have totally fallen in love with the enhanced edition and last night I heard about the Baldur's Gate: Reloaded mod so I immediately went to GOG for NWN2 and bought it - got it for $16.66 for the total bundle. After installing it and running a few errands this morning I was finally able to settle down and give it a try.

Ok, like I said, I am new to these types of games and have fallen in love with this game. And I don't want to insult the mod because it's obvious it was a labor of love. But I can't help but feel a tad disappointed in it, the reason being, it doesn't use the same rule set that is used in BG, nor can you roll for stats. In addition, the UI is clunky and counterintuitive, but that may or may not be because of the engine. The new graphics are nice but also serve to accentuate how lifeless the game is without voiceovers. In 2D it felt natural reading text. Lastly, it just doesn't feel the same. I thought for sure I would love it but I am immediately returning to the EE. For me the mod is a disappointment and a novelty at best.

One good thing I can say is that they used the original cutscenes which I didn't even get to see until recently (the EE edition is my first BG experience). I can already tell the original cutscenes are better. But I digress.

Again, I am new to Baldur's Gate so my opinion don't count anyway, and I know the mod is a labor of love, so no disrespect intended, but I am curious to hear what other fans of Baldur's Gate think about the reloaded mod.

Thanks.

http://neverwinter2.nexusmods.com/mods/794/?

Comments

• StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited October 2013
    I see. It does seem clunky and badly optimized at that, and I am running twin 6970s. I don't see how anyone played NWN2 back when it was released...how did they manage???

Aside from the negatives, I do have tons of respect for those modders. They did an excellent job with what they had to work with and as soon as I finish up with EE I will give it another go - something to tide me over until EE2 is released. Who knows, maybe it will grow on me. More than anything I just wanted to hear other people's thoughts. Thanks for the reply.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    For a moment I thought the title said 'Onions on Baldur's Gate'... I think I need some serious sleep now. ._.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    BGR is the best mod ever I've ever seen.
    Personally I'm a big fan of NWN2 and mods on this setting.
    You'll be fine with the UI and camera after hours of playing. It's just a bit unusual.
    Still BGR is a bit bugged, hope they release some new patches. For example Shar-Tell's AI is completely bugged. Or some lags in Baldur's Gate areas.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    Unfortunately, I had to give up playing it. NWN2 is basically unplayable on my modern PC due to some bugs with the animation and pathing code. I can fix those bugs by using a mod called the "Client Extension", but then the game locks up during area transitions in BGR (works fine on the official campaigns though).

I was pretty keen on playing BGR due to the 3rd ed ruleset, which gives more freedom in character builds.

What I saw of it was pretty good though, and I'd certainly be playing it if it wasn't for the NWN2 client bugs.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited October 2013
    Interesting. Maybe I will give it another go in the future. Who knows, maybe I will find a UI mod or something to combine with it.

Thanks for the answers guys.