Skip to content

Is the 1.2 beta patch supposed to be a full 2.4 GB installation?

marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
edited October 2013 in The Road to v1.2
I was expecting a patch to my existing installation, but seeing as how my initial installation was around 2.4GB (IIRC) and that's the amount of data I'm currently downloading, it would appear that I'm getting a fresh copy of the game altogether. Does that seem right? Should I be worried?

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Yes, that's correct. The beta is an entirely separate build, so that your "live" copy will be preserved if needed.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Oh, okay, thanks for the clarification. And hey, it's late. Shouldn't you be doing something other than browsing the forums right now?? :)
    Oh, and does this mean that when 1.2 is officially released, and assuming that I'm still playing this "beta installation" (as I expect that this will take me some time to complete) that I won't be eligible for future updates that may be released following 1.2 (like 1.2.1, or whatever).

Or can I just copy my save games over?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    "User data" (saved games portraits, ini settings) are used for both the beta and the live build. So when the patch is officially released, you'll just patch the live version, and then you can either continue playing the beta or switch over to the live version without having to move your saves anywhere.

There's actually a very practical reason for this; many times we have to test a particular behavior, and being able to test it quickly in different builds is invaluable. For instance, I have two monitors; I can bring up the live build on the left and the beta on the right, and load the exact same saved game in both. Then I can see definitively what elements are working differently, which saves a lot of time and guess-work.
    This is perfect. I did notice that the save games were in the same directory for both versions. Good to know I can freely switch between builds!

Thanks for the responses.