Skip to content

what NPCs for my party?

hi, I have played BG2 multiple times so I know baldur's gate lore and 2e D&D pretty well but I've never played the original BG1. So my question is what would make a fun party, are the new BGEE characters any good in terms of banter etc?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Check out this banters guide - the NPCs in BG don't talk as much as those in BG2, but some are more talkative than others, and the right party composition will really add to your enjoyment of the game.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/12045/npc-interaction-and-banter-guide-ok-finished/p1
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    From a class and power perspective it's worth having a look here:

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_NPC_Rundown

BG1 vanilla NPCs are fairly mute compared to their BG2 counterparts, the new EE NPCs being the exception. It's very dependent on who you have in your party, and opposing characters almost always say more than ones who get along.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited October 2013
    I'd recommend a mixed party, too, and a neutral aligned somewhat low charisma charname/party leader. That way, you can intentionally put together NPCs that don't get along and see their banters/fights. In the end, you probably have a pretty random party, but you got the most out of the banters.

Early options:

Start with picking up the pairs - Xzar/Monty and Jaheira/Khalid, see which duo survives their inevitable fight. (Xzar & Monty have extra banters, so you may want to side with them.)

Recruit Minsc, don't talk to Edwin, save Dynaheir, then recruit Edwin. Wait for Minsc to kill him. (Though, Edwin has extra banters with late game Alora. If Xzar is still around, it's between his area banters in the city and Edwin's dialogue with Alora).

As a wild card, take Ajantis, who potentially fights any evil NPC and will win the resulting fights against most (the non-fighters).

As a trio, Rasaad - Viconia - Kivan. The two latter might fight, though I've never seen that happen.

-------------
    Midgame options

Get Kagain, then Yeslick, keep the survivor.

Get Shar-Teel once you have Eldoth, keep the survivor. For banters, you'll want Eldoth, Skie and Garrick together.

Safana and Coran have banters that don't result in fights. If you have too many thieves, Coran is the better one to keep as he has extra lines in the city. (Quest can be done without him tho.)

--------------
    Lategame options

Xzar & Monty have extra lines between the two of them, and also some in the city. These seem to be tied to Xzar though, so you will hear that without Monty in the party, too.

Edwin & Alora have non-hostile banters.

Skie & Eldoth & Garrick; not sure if there is a fight between the bards at some point.

Quayle & Tiax will fight.

All new NPCs have mini quests and banters plus "romance preludes" (Dorn - anyone, Neera - any male, Rasaad - good aligned female), but they will not have random banters with others. The old NPCs will compliment or insult other party members at random and react to reputation changes (verbally, Dorn and Rasaad will leave at too high/low rep like anyone else). Their quest/romance banters can include other NPCs tho. (Rasaad & Viconia, Dorn & Shar-Teel, Kagain, and minor - any evil NPC except the easter egg. The easter egg has a few extra lines, but no quest/romance/random banters.)
    Garrick, Skie and Eldoth do have banters together. But having 2 bards with middling stats and a poorly allocated thief is not ideal. The three of them together will quickly test your patience and sanity. Wide-eyed optimism + condescending sarcasm + privileged whining is bad.
    Corvino said:

Garrick, Skie and Eldoth do have banters together. But having 2 bards with middling stats and a poorly allocated thief is not ideal. The three of them together will quickly test your patience and sanity. Wide-eyed optimism + condescending sarcasm + privileged whining is bad.

Add Xan and you hit the jackpot of moods. :D

I didn't say any of the party combos would be ideal or make a balanced team. Just for banters, they are the most fruitful combos.

I had them with Xan in the group @KidCarnival. I abandoned my run halfway through and couldn't bring myself to play for a month. Then I gritted my teeth and plowed on through. In fairness I rarely finish runs that quickly, but I did miss a lot of the completionist content.
    Corvino said:

I had them with Xan in the group @KidCarnival. I abandoned my run halfway through and couldn't bring myself to play for a month. Then I gritted my teeth and plowed on through. In fairness I rarely finish runs that quickly, but I did miss a lot of the completionist content.

That sounds like a total of 74 hitpoints, too. And permanent "I'm tired" whining. I fully understand abandoning that, lol