Skip to content

first time MMORPGing

IXEBACHEIXEBACHE Member Posts: 3
Hello
just downloaded GameRanger for this thing and itching to try it out.
never played MMORPGs before but I'm hosting a spot on gameranger BGII under my name 'IXEBACHE' and 'kill=em-all'
rather then get into a big game I mostly just want to test it to see if I need to adjust anything like the firewall or porting thing that I read about in other post.
but if it does work and you got the time I'll swing some steel with you.

Hosting now (meaning Thurs. Oct. 24th 11PM pacific)
or you can send a message any time if you want get your game on

Comments

• ItomonItomon Member Posts: 187
    Hail and well met!

I just wanted to get your meaning about "MMORPG" in Baldur's Gate. Not that it is important, but MMO means games where a lot of people play at the same time, like World of Warcraft or Ragnarok or Tibia.

Baldur's Gate is a RPG but cannot really work as "MMO" since you will always be limited to 6 players at any one given time.

Also, being a small party with so many possibilities, I tend to agree that arranging a BGparty may be better made with some preparations, like expected playstyle, houserules etc. One big example for it is about pausing: usually BG players who play single-player in normal or higher dificulties will find great need to pause during combat, to make tactical decisions for their characters.
    In multiplayer, pausing can be complicated: no one can be ever sure when other will unpause, or if all ready, slowing a lot the game's pace - or even making decisions harder.

Thus, I hope you can multiplay BG soon and I'm willing to join you in your quest, if time allows it (i'm at GMT-3 and not always avaliable, but maybe we can work it out at weekends). If i can help in any other way, just send me a PM! o/
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    As @Itomon says, it's not an MMO as parties are small and there's not a persistent world. Once you stop hosting a game it shuts down until you load up next time.

With the new patch it should be a lot easier to get BG:EE games set up though. There's now a user-friendly multiplayer matchmaking service in place of lots of mucking around with port forwarding, Hamachi, IP addresses and so on.