Skip to content

Launcher crashes, so does beamdog :(

Hi guys,
I preordered the game several months ago and just downloaded the launcher a few days ago and whenever I click on it I get "baldurs gate enhanced edition launcher has stopped working" (event CLR20r3 when I go into details) and I get the same with the beambog launcher.

Anyone else have this problem? It looks like it's something to do with .net framework and everything i've tried hasn't worked, like reinstalling and such. :(

Comments

• Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    I don't have the answer to your problem, but you might want to check this thread for a solution although there are a lot of pages to go through. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6817/pre-loading-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-has-begun#latest

If you don't find a solution there, you can email support at Beamdog. Good luck!
  • dominancedominance Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the link Kristie, I tried a few things on that thread but still won't work :( I even tried the .net framework remover and installed it again and still the same.

The annoying thing is that everything else works fine for me and I have many other games that run. I have emailed the support so i'm hoping I can fix it by release. I'm really looking forward to this.
  • AikimoxAikimox Member Posts: 8
    try running it in the compatibility mode for Win98/Me.
  • KennoshusKennoshus Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem.

Click Play on the launcher and nothing happens, checked Task Manager and Baldurs Gate Enchance Edition is in there for a few seconds and then disappears. No other windows or pop-ups occur.

Uninstalled and downloaded the Beam Dog Client and installed it to c:\games as mentioned in the troubleshooting. Exactly the same problem. Reinstalled the latest Nvidia drivers. Reinstalled OpenAL. Tried different compatibility modes - XP SP3, XP SP2, Win98/Me as mentioned above.

Tried running the Baldur.exe directly from the 00766 folder the same problem.

Extremely annoying - will email Beam Dog support.
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    It may help if you guys actually posted your computer specs.
  • Jack67Jack67 Member Posts: 7
    OK, majinsnake, I'll play. I have exactly the same problem as Kennoshus and have posted my specs and error message elsewhere -- and I'll continue to do so until someone pops in here and helps or I get my money back.

My system:

Vista, SP2 + all latest patches, 32-bit
    nVidia 550ti -- 306.97
    SoundBlaster Fatality platinum -- latest drivers
    4 GB RAM
    2005, 2008, 2010 C++ redistributable installed. Version checked in registry (this is a fix mentioned on the board that did not apply to my system, but some people who have my error had a inconsistency in C++ versions).

My error from the application logs:

Log Name: Application
    Source: SideBySide
    Date: 11/30/2012 11:26:13 PM
    Event ID: 78
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: xxxx
    Description:
    Activation context generation failed for "D:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\baldur.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30304.0_none_d9c474bda3593bfa.manifest.
  • galeriosgalerios Member Posts: 1
    I have also the same problem. Launcher crashed and I get the same message.
    I have HP Pavilion dv 9500 notebook
    Intel core2 Duo CPU
    Ram 2G
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

Please help.
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    @Jack67 Have you been able to play as of yet?

@galerios Have you been able to play as of yet?

With all the game updates applied....has anything changed?
  • thingummywutthingummywut Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Hello!

I have the same problem - both the BeamDog Launcher and the BGEE Launcher crashes directly on startup (i.e I am unable to download and install the game).

The launcher and game starts up fine on my girlfriend's ultrabook (but I want to play too!).

No dumps generated, but here are the "problem details" for the BGEE Launcher crash:

Description:
    Stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: bgee.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 0.2.6.2
    Problem Signature 03: 50b7f5a8
    Problem Signature 04: PresentationCore
    Problem Signature 05: 3.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 06: 4f34f771
    Problem Signature 07: 501f
    Problem Signature 08: 0
    Problem Signature 09: System.TypeInitialization
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1053

and the BeamDog Launcher:

Description:
    Stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: beamdog.launcher.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 1.9.5.0
    Problem Signature 03: 50b5c0fb
    Problem Signature 04: PresentationCore
    Problem Signature 05: 3.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 06: 4f3505fc
    Problem Signature 07: 5021
    Problem Signature 08: 0
    Problem Signature 09: System.TypeInitialization
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1053

I also attached my DxDiag for more info on my system, but long story short:
    - Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
    - Intel Core i7-2760QM
    - 8,00 GB RAM
    - ATI Radeon 6900M
    - Intel X25-M 120GB SSD

Edit: I forgot to mention that running it in different compatibility modes and/or explicitly as an administrator does no difference.
  • thingummywutthingummywut Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Ah - this log should be interesting :-)

Edit: Adding last traces for searchability:

BeamDog.Launcher.exe Information: 0 : 2012-12-25 22:16:21 Launcher version 1.9.5.0 starting up
    Args:
    IsAdmin: True
    BeamDog.Launcher.exe Error: 0 : 2012-12-25 22:16:21 Unhandled dispatcher exception.
    System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'System.Windows.Media.FontFamily' threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
    Parameter name: fileTime
    at System.DateTime.FromFileTimeUtc(Int64 fileTime)
    Post edited by thingummywut on
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Jack67 said:

2005, 2008, 2010 C++ redistributable installed. Version checked in registry (this is a fix mentioned on the board that did not apply to my system, but some people who have my error had a inconsistency in C++ versions).
    Activation context generation failed for "D:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\baldur.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30304.0_none_d9c474bda3593bfa.manifest.

This is a Microsoft problem, described in detail with a solution here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2525435
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Looks like the CLR20r3 is also a DLL hell problem, but without as clear as a solution. My best suggestion is that you *uninstall* any programs or runtimes you aren't sure you need. Anything that is uninstalled can be re-installed, so get in there and hack away... If there are any VB6 apps installed (you may not know that they are VB apps) you might want to start with those.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    damn.. was working for me in dec 2012.. then i got a few crashes here&there..uninstalled some Adobe Flash/Java modules, uninstalled/reinstalled the launcher and..till then, by luck apparently, i could always get back the launcher working somehow- so i could get the 2014 update ok!
    ... but now, something else ; whatever i do, can't get back the launcher..launching.
    arf.. not sure what to do now (and what i have installed in the meantime that could cause the crashes again)... (

I heard about a needed Net Framework 3.5 ? Might be a link with that too ? i have 4.0, etc too? might be related too? -?