Skip to content

Better AI (Buffing) Scripts

Most of us micro-manage our parties (especially the casters).

This means that their AI script is usually left inactive, or not even set in the first place.

Now, there's a bunch of mods out there that add utility-type scripts, but the best ones by a long shot are the self- and party-buffing ones written by Weimer as a part of his Solaufein mod. These things are triggered by pressing a button, and have the caster walk to and individually buff every partemember.

We need something like this, but expanded and extended. Weimer's scripts are practically ancient, and I'm sure there are better and faster and more up to date methods of writing scripts by now (I think his last update to his Solaufein mod was like 4 years ago). Also, I don't think this kind of buffing script exists for BG1.

Another problem with Weimer's scripts is that not all available spells are included, and there are probably a few more limitations I can't think off the top of my head. Anyway, it would be amazing if the devs could cook up a robust, new, modern and all-encompassing script (or, more specifically, 2 of them) that would cover all the bases. Weimer's scripts were awesome because they save the player from the tedious drudgery of having to manually buff the entire party.

I know a lot of people rail against 'cutting corners' and whatnot, but let's be honest; who among us really enjoys casting Haste and Bless over and over and over again? It's simpler to press one button and have your cleric or mage automatically buff the entire party over the next 5-10 seconds.

And to disable abuse, the script wouldn't run if the party was in combat.

What do guys think?

Comments

• RadwulfRadwulf Member Posts: 49
    I tend to use the ease of use scripts from BGtweaks which allows you to choose whether characters attack, use melee, drink potions, and also I believe cast buff spells. It's fairly useful in that it covers the basics and only the basics, but suffers from messing with spell timings with instantaneous spell casts included for convenience purposes. It also only works through the dialogue box.

BG is a fairly micro management intensive game, and decent AI spell casting scripts would take a lot of time to make, CPU power to run and take challenge from the player. However a more involved squad management system might be good, perhaps through dramatically expanding the NPC scripting interface.

Let's take Chaotic Commands as an example. We pick Viconia and go to scripts, select custom script, and this opens up a new screen with AI options including buffs. We want her to cast CC on three party members in order of priority: Korgan, PC and Edwin. We click on CC and open the spell sub menu, adding the party members in order before saving and naming the sub script 'Chaotic Commands party'. This creates a scripted sequencer-like ability called 'Chaotic Commands party' for Viconia that when pressed (or hotkeyed) would cast CC in order on Korgan, PC and Edwin, so long as she has available spells and CC isn't already active on them. The same menu that lets you do this should also allow you to state whether Viconia should fight in melee or retreat, drink potions, etc.

This system could provide a significantly more effective and comfortable means of controlling your party whilst remaining intuitive and not playing the game for the player.