Skip to content

Craziest party you've ever used?

So because after all those years of playing the BG trilogy with the "obvious" characters I really feel like playing some with somethign different. My new run is going to be somewhat like a band of scavages, no real front-line fighters or cool tanks, kind of stumbling about and somehow getting the job done (preferably while bickering a lot along the way!) So not the typical "strong heroic A-team" or "powerful evil masterminds". I was thinking something along the line of

PC: Randolph (CNeutral Wild Mage, half-elf)
Imoen (NG Thief)
Garrick (CN Bard)
Neera (CN Wild Mage)
Quayle (CN Cleric/Illusionist)
Tiax (CE Cleric/Thief)

Others I'm interested in are Eldoth and Skie. Also kind of Dorn, who doesn't fit the picture, but I haven't seen his questline yet and he IS really bad-ass. Maybe I'll use him until Baldur's Gate?

Mayyyybe montaron and Xzar but they are too much "powerful evil masterminds" I guess. I could use them until BG and then swap them for Quayle and Tiax, I suppose...

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    CN 75 roll jester and neera. Fun! fun! fun!
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Quayle and Tiax will try to kill each other, btw, just be warned about that. Also Dorn is very firmly in the 'Super Evil is Super' camp, so he doesn't really fit your theme, sadly.

My initial BG2 run was: F/M Charname, Mazzy, Edwin, Viconia and Haer'Dalis (and someone else who I forget). That was probably the most mismatched group I ever ran with. Its theme was 'people I think are cool'.
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    @CutlassJack Yeah Xzar certainly is a wacko! He's still in my party for now as we havent reached Nashkell yet..

@Eudaemonium oww is there no way to get them to behave? I do have Charisma 18. Would that help? Or can I stop the fight somehow once it's began?

On a BG2 note I do certainly plan on getting Haer'Dalis.. :D
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @OperativeNL, there is no way to stop it once it happens, but having high Charisma seems to delay these things. Since you pick both up in BG you'll probably be fine, but it will rely a little on luck.

In BG2 you should also pick up Nalia. Nalia don't get much love.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    ME
    TIAX
    KORGAN
    XZAR
    MONTARON
    SHAR-TEEL

If that's not a group of crazies, I don't know who is.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I wrote an in-depth bit about this party in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22442/poetic-parties-a-discussion-for-those-intense-rpers#latest

But as a quick rehash, my chaotic neutral jester Veraka traveled with

Xzar (Those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad!)
    Minsc (Stand and deliver, that my hamster may have a better look at you.)
    Xan (Why don't we all just lie down and die?)
    Tiax (Why must Tiax traverse this dank hole? Cyric said nothing of soggy boots!)
    Alora (I don't think you're happy enough. I'll teach you to be happy!)

I chose them for their dialogue, and I also had roleplaying ideas for their inclusion in the party (largely due to their mental conditions). If you're looking for "ineffective" I wrote a great deal in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22701/assembling-the-c-team#latest

The short version being:

Garrick
    Eldoth
    Skie
    Tiax
    Rasaad

On the plus side this team will have some interesting prompted dialogue (Rasaad in general, and Garrick/Eldoth/Skie have a number of interactions).

Finally, if you want something different, how about only using NPCs you find at Cloakwood or later?

Faldorn
    Coran
    Yeslick
    Eldoth
    Skie
    Alora
    Quayle
    Tiax

Some combination of these.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2013
    1130210 said:

ME
    TIAX
    KORGAN
    XZAR
    MONTARON
    SHAR-TEEL

Interesting that you got Korgan into Baldur's Gate 1.

...;)
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Blade
    Imoen (dualed to mage at level 7)
    Eldoth
    Skie
    Quayle
    Garrick

@LordRumfish Having read your post, having throught about it and googling some other threads about this topic I have heard good things about the following party for an interesting playthrough

PC (this would be my wild mage)
    Garrick (CN Bard)
    Eldoth (NE Bard)
    Skie (TN Thief)
    Shar-Teel (CE Fighter)
    Xan (LN Mage)

Hmm.. the Shar-Teel, Garrick, Eldoth & Skie combo got recommended by someone else too so now I'm really curious. Xan sounds like a drudge and isn't chaotic enough for me. I could swap him out for Neera I guess. I WOULD have to ditch Imoen for this though... But nooo! I would miss the two gnomes killing each other, I can't possibly let that chance go!

Ohh, now I dont know what to do anymore .. :(

You could use Branwen in place of Xan. She, too, has special dialogue with Shar-Teel and makes for a party with quite a bit of banter, though not the heights reached by the party you mentioned.
    @LordRumfish What about the party I mentioned in my OP? Would it be interesting enough, dialogue-wise?
    Neera, as a new NPC, has a lot more dialogue than any of the old ones.

Tiax and Quayle hate each other, and eventually will come to blows. You will get some funny dialogue from them.

Personality-wise, Garrick is a nice guy with poor judgment. He might have some insult banter with Tiax and Quayle, but I would need to look it up.

Unfortunately, Imoen is both highly effective and silent as a stone. Imoen has practically no special dialogue other than an area dialogue for dungeons ("There is something most... unnatural here, and I want no part of it.") and some reputation-change dialogue. Seriously, Imoen doesn't talk to people. It's a friggin' shame too, because it's hard to justify getting rid of your childhood friend and one of the best thieves in the game, but I'm annoyed by her lack of dialogue.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2013

Unfortunately, Imoen is both highly effective and silent as a stone. Imoen has practically no special dialogue other than an area dialogue for dungeons ("There is something most... unnatural here, and I want no part of it.") and some reputation-change dialogue. Seriously, Imoen doesn't talk to people. It's a friggin' shame too, because it's hard to justify getting rid of your childhood friend and one of the best thieves in the game, but I'm annoyed by her lack of dialogue.

The great thing? She had no positive reputation-change comment until BG:EE. :)

Imoen is ... plagued. In BG1, she was supposed to be a temporary NPC, a guard who followed you in Candlekeep and then left. (Sort of like the party members you get while fighting the illusions) Thus, she has barely any dialogue. Apparently they added her as a Thief upon realizing that there were no mentally stable thieves in the game (similar to Xan being changed from Fighter to Enchanter when they noticed the lack of a Neutral Mage) ... although IMO, I think Alora and Coran are pretty sane, but then they are both late game NPCs, so that probably influenced their decision as well. Voice acting is expensive, and apparently Imoen's change was pretty late on top of it all.

In BGII,

she was planned to die in Spellhold, and Yoshimo was supposed to be redeemable in some fashion. For some reason Yoshi's redemption path didn't happen, they realized they'd be dooming you to no thief, and so Imoen was kept alive. So she has barely anything to say after Spellhold, yet another disappointment in this poor girl's plot. Thankfully she has some interesting things to say in ToB, and they apparently planned to revisit the concept of bringing Yoshimo back YET again in ToB since he has some things to talk about with Sarevok if you go looking for the lines, but ONCE AGAIN they failed.

Sorry I'm a little opinionated about all that too, Xzar is my favorite BG1 NPC and Yoshimo is my favorite BGII NPC, so you can imagine my disappointment with BioWare. (Xzar's OOC cameo -> death, failure to develop a quest to save Yoshi, yeahhhhhh f@#$ you guys.)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Quartz said:

The great thing? She had no positive reputation-change comment until BG:EE. :)

Imoen is ... plagued. In BG1, she was supposed to be a temporary NPC, a guard who followed you in Candlekeep and then left. (Sort of like the party members you get while fighting the illusions) Thus, she has barely any dialogue. Apparently they added her as a Thief upon realizing that there were no mentally stable thieves in the game (similar to Xan being changed from Fighter to Enchanter when they noticed the lack of a Neutral Mage) ... although IMO, I think Alora and Coran are pretty sane, but then they are both late game NPCs, so that probably influenced their decision as well. Voice acting is expensive, and apparently Imoen's change was pretty late on top of it all.

In BGII,

she was planned to die in Spellhold, and Yoshimo was supposed to be redeemable in some fashion. For some reason Yoshi's redemption path didn't happen, they realized they'd be dooming you to no thief, and so Imoen was kept alive. So she has barely anything to say after Spellhold, yet another disappointment in this poor girl's plot. Thankfully she has some interesting things to say in ToB, and they apparently planned to revisit the concept of bringing Yoshimo back YET again in ToB since he has some things to talk about with Sarevok if you go looking for the lines, but ONCE AGAIN they failed.

Sorry I'm a little opinionated about all that too, Xzar is my favorite BG1 NPC and Yoshimo is my favorite BGII NPC, so you can imagine my disappointment with BioWare. (Xzar's OOC cameo -> death, failure to develop a quest to save Yoshi, yeahhhhhh f@#$ you guys.)
    That, my friend, is what we call "hella good writing"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    1130210 said:

ME
    TIAX
    KORGAN
    XZAR
    MONTARON
    SHAR-TEEL

Reading your party in all caps made it seem CRAAAAAZY to me.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Chaotic Neutral Fighter/Thief
    Tiax
    Xzar
    Montaron
    Shar-teel
    Minsc

That was my group of crazies.