Skip to content

BG3 - can Overhaul do it? Afraid no...

This is just my opinion. And sorry for my English - not my native language.
I'm following Overhaul's news since the announcement of BGE - reading every interview and posts from Trent and his teammates. And I really don't like the picture I get combining all pieces of information and facts. Specifically - your (Overhaul's) attitude to BG serie.
It looks, like you considered BGE I, II as easy money on well-known serie. Somehing like "Oh, we make a quick remake with hi-res, sell it to old fans, prove our trustworth, get money and then will make BG3". First problem appeared, when you found out, that hi-res textures are gone (http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/108574-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-interview.html). Well, ok - no hi-res, but we will just port the same game to new platforms - iOS, Android. Easy way. Why redrawing anything etc? (while group of volunteers rebuilt BG in 3D on NWN engine - without getting any salary etc, just because they love this game).
Then you got problems with Android. Unexpected, considering more than a year of "coming soon" message. What does this mean? IMHO (as being a software developer and project manager myself) - great underestimation of the given task and not being ready for unexpected difficulties. In other words - lack of planning and bad reaction to plan changes (hm, looks like I saw this in gaming industry already... John Romero). Then Atari problem emerged. Somehow, it seems to me, all activities were paused for like 3 months. I understand, that it is not pleasent to work without 100% being sure, that you will get paid after, but it also shows the attitude. No money - no interest (once again, remember guys, that made 3D BG?).
So, guys, try to change your attitude to the serie and its fans. You are getting less and less trustworhy. If a year ago I would gladly donate on kickstarter for you to make BG3 - now I really doubt, you can make it because of your attitude and planning.
This is just my IMHO. I'm not pretending to be absolutely right - just writing how it looks from the side.
Best wishes, and hope you will make it!

Comments

• FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    I think you may have posted this in the wrong forum.. this is the forum for discussion about the Android version of BG:EE... not the general pondering forum.
  • SiriomSiriom Member Posts: 12
    Totally agree with him . remove the "coming soon" on the android version on the front page . we all know its not coming and definetly not soon . Not "Blizzard soon TM" , not even "duke nukem soon TM"