Skip to content

BG2 Unfinished Business *Big spoilers for BG2EE

Pocket plane website has the mod "Unfinished Business"
http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=101&Itemid=80/
It restores a lot of stuff from BG2 that never made it to the Final Cut.
I expect some maybe a lot of this to be in BG2EE

Here's the list

he Kidnapping of Boo, by Cliffette
The Suna Seni/Valygar Relationship Restoration
Kalah and What He Was Promised, by Andyr
Cat and Mouse: Bodhi Hunts You in Spellhold, by Ghreyfain
Gorje Hilldark and the Extended Illithium Quest
The Pai'Na/Spider's Bane Quest
Restored Crooked Crane
Restored Encounters
Artemis Entreri in Bodhi's Lair
Corrected "Xzar's Creations"
Restored Hell Minions, by SimDing0
Gorf the Squisher Fix, by Gebhard Blucher
Item Restorations
Yoshimo's Original Portrait
Anomen's Original Portrait
NPC Portrait Restorations
Corrected BAMs and Scripts
Corrected Character Names
Restored Minor Dialogs
Restored Bhaalspawn Powers, by David Gaider
Extended Throne of Bhaal Item Descriptions
Throne of Bhaal Minor Restorations
Justifier Kit, by Andyr
Feralan Kit, by Andyr
Sarevok's Remorse, by Sovran and Winterine
The Murder of Acton Balthis, by Kulyok

Any Thoughts? Any guesses as to what might be implemented?

Comments

• LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    It's not.

So, get that notion out of your head, or you'll be sorely disappointed.
  • Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    How do you know?
    Because they need explicit permission from mod authors to use their content in-game. ALL the authors.

Plus, they're not allowed to change existing content.

So, basically, "lawyers"
    This content isnt created by mod authors, just restored from original dialog inside bg2.

For example: Shazzellim+1 (bard killing sword) or boots of super haste.
    If it wasn't created by modders, then it would fall under the "no changing existing content" umbrella.

Perhaps the devs can speak more eloquently on this subject, but I am 100% sure none of this content will be restored.
    That doesnt actually make sense, they have already changed existing content for example details in spells, removing dimension door from bg1, giving grandmastery +0.5 apr...

It seems a pretty confusing line what can they change and what not..

Ok, you are right, im reading about bg1 unfinished business and none has been implemented in bg2... :-(
    http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=161&Itemid=114

Pitty
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There was a BG1 unfinished business too, not included in BG:EE. While some of it does restore unused content, I understand that some required new work to be completed. So yeah, mod authors permission, lawyers and "the contract" mostly.

BG2:UB may well be compatible with BG2:EE though, so if you want to experience it then it's definitely an option.
    TJ_Hooker
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    edited November 2013
    To be honest I never really liked this mod. It changed too much of the original content for my liking, and added content that I felt was a little inconsistent.

Still cool though, just not for me. :)
    rexreg
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Many, many of these alter quests and NPC's, which is what Overhaul is prohibited from doing by their contract (the merits of which can be discussed in the other 500+ threads we've had about it in the last 17 months).

Adding a weapon to an enemy somewhere does not fall under this (so adding Shazzelim back into the game would not be a problem) but adding Minsc's quest (and thus altering his character/storyline (or lack of it) or adding Kalah's quest changes existing things and that's not allowed.
    Whether or not they were originally in the game but cut doesn't factor into it; only the final game counts.

Also, they'd have to ask every modder that worked on it for permission, which is a disaster to do.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2013

To be honest I never really liked this mod. It changed too much of the original content for my liking

I only don't like that damn "Bodhi hunts you in Spellhold" thing haha. I already am not really a fan of the Spellhold's lower levels to begin with but that just drags it out.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    My problem with these unfinished things addition mods in general is that not nearly everything is cut out do to lack of time. Eg. the Bodhi hunt part Elminster mentions was cut out simply because BioWare thought Spellhold worked better without it.

Also at least some of these restorations take some very basic level hints about what could have been, and then just make most of the "restored" content themselfs.

So basically good content for optional mods.
    elminsterTJ_Hooker
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    edited November 2013
    I find some components of this mods bad so I don´t wonder that they were removed from the final version of the game. Maybe the reason why they are bad is their execution by modders but I think that The Kidnaping of Boo, Kalah and What He Was Promised, Gorje Hilldark and the Extended Illithium Quest, The Pai´Na/Spider´s Bane Quest and Artemis Entrei in Bodhi´s Lair don´t fit in the game. But these are the most of major additons, the rest are mostly corrections, small additions or cosmetic options.
    Time4Tiddy
    So for example, adding entreri in bodhi's lair if you get drizzt to help wouldnt even be considered a quest, just an Npc. Can they do that?
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    I asked this question on ask us anything and alas Dee said there are no plans to include this.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    I am not a fan of modded content - most of it just seems so disjointed from the core game, and nearly all is extremely amateur - typically I try things once, then uninstall them and play again on regular. I added this mod in my most recent BG2 playthrough after being told it restores original content. Right. More like they found a single sound file somewhere and built an awful story around it. The Kidnapping of Boo is so completely alien to the rest of the game and so horribly written, I thank Bioware for cutting whatever elements of that existed originally. I didn't mind the Hilldark bros or Suna Seni, but the other new quests are pretty boring/lame.

BG2:EE adds most/all of the fixes from the BG2 fixpack, but none of the "fixes" from UB, from what I understand.
  • At this point I thought someone would have already adapted? Unfinished Business for EE

Or the npc banter pack, I think those two are the most popular ones? I guess it's too much work and people just doesn't care. It's fine either way.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Ew, I hate the banter pack. :)
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    edited November 2013
    Something interesting from the changelog for the new patch:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22810/game-update-v1-2-0

Added Aldeth's Quest from Unfinished Business

Something interesting from the changelog for the new patch:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22810/game-update-v1-2-0

Added Aldeth's Quest from Unfinished Business

So maybe there is some hope for some of this quests!