Skip to content

Did developers promised what they can't deliver?

zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
The improved multiplayer it is.
It was supposed to be at launch but we have it 11 months after.
Even with that delay it's pretty unstable. I remember playing more stable games with 56kbs modem back in the days.
So what do you think?
(Note that i didn't make this pool to bash developers or so.)

1. Did developers promised what they can't deliver?88 votes
    1. Yes, they shouldn't have advertised the multiplayer at all.
        4.55%
    2. Maybe, but I am sure they have done their best about it. At least we have something.
      25.00%
    3. No, just because it is called improved it doesn't need to be improved
        0.00%
    4. How can you make a such pool?! Die Heretic!
      14.77%
    5. I don't care about multiplayer.
      55.68%

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited November 2013
    It's a beta of a completely new multiplayer matchmaking service and had to be developed from scratch. It's still being worked on, and I am more than willing to give the Dev team the benefit of the doubt. Given that this is pretty much the first public release I'd be suprised if it worked perfectly.

I recently tried the traditional way of getting multiplayer to work and it involved a huge amount of messing around with port tunnelling, IP addresses and still was far from perfect. *Edit* Because of the hassle involved with the traditional method I'm a strong supporter of the new way!
    Post edited by Corvino on
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    edited November 2013
    @ajwz Yes it imply an answer as there's much discussion about multiplayer.
    And your example is irrelevant. We have the multiplayer right here, we play it and some of us have thoughts about it.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Isn't there a rule that any article title that is a question can be answered with the word 'No.'?
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    I have had close to zero problems with Multiplayer since it was released. The new one's Beamdog.net service also works just fine for me, but is slower and less responsive, so I tend to use TCP/IP still, which again, works just fine for me.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Die Heretic! Burn!
    :-)
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    pool??? you made a pool?
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    I am not a multiplayer sort of guy but isn't the multiplayer still in beta? They said that the multiplayer would go through a stress test once 1.2 was released. I did not hear anything to announce that Phase 4, the so called stress test period, ended yet.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I was playing it with my brother but we gave up after a crapton of bugs sorta ruined the game. haven't played it since then but to be honest the stability was never an issue so im more waiting on them to fix the in game faults I encountered then the matchmaking
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i've played multiplayer across mac and pc with a friend, we've had boots in 4 hours of playing. i think that's alright and i really like being able to view and drop into games
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Sounds like another book of divine grammar needs to be passed out.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Corvino said:

I'd quite like it if there was some way to add a comment to your listing on Beamdog.net. You currently can't change the group name while the game is in progress, IIRC.

For example:
    "Currently at Cloakwood, level 3-5 recommended"
    "We could use a thief for Nashkel mines, 1 spot left"
    "Durlag's Tower run, expect reloads :D"
    "Roleplaying group, stay in character"

You should make this a feature request
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited November 2013
    I probably should, @elminster ;)

*edit* request now posted.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Just for the record, you can still play on port forwarding. That hasn't changed and I don't think I've ever been dropped by it. This team has poured their hearts and souls in to this, we should be more appreciative of their efforts.

@corvino that is a good idea ;)
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    It's better than nothing, but I feel they have made promises that couldn't be kept. Multiplayer crashes for me upon the third person joining and while this may be a beta, it's a year since the games release and the multiplayer is kind of unplayable for me right now. I've no doubts about the developers' hard work and good intentions, but I don't think the results are there to show for it.
    CoryNewb said:

I think it's obvious English isn't his first language.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    What is this multiplayer you speak of? Does it hurt?
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    ryuken87 said:

It's better than nothing, but I feel they have made promises that couldn't be kept. Multiplayer crashes for me upon the third person joining and while this may be a beta, it's a year since the games release and the multiplayer is kind of unplayable for me right now. I've no doubts about the developers' hard work and good intentions, but I don't think the results are there to show for it.

CoryNewb said:

That's a reference to an earlier, and very witty, remark by the OP. Good intentioned banter, nothing more.

onan said:

ryuken87 said:

CoryNewb said:

That's a reference to an earlier, and very witty, remark by the OP. Good intentioned banter, nothing more.

Indeed.
    I must have been cursed for that. :S

• ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    I don't really think that the devs made any promises they couldn't deliver for anything relating to BGEE or BG2EE. I think the problem has been one of impatience and wrong perception amongst the fanbase for the most part.

Keep in mind that Overhaul couldn't touch BGEE for 4/5 nearly 6 months this year.

The improved multiplayer wasnt something they even needed to do at all, so yeah maybe they shoulda kept schtum about it in the beginning rather than say "hey we are doing this" but they have included quite a bit in the game post launch that wasnt advertised that I think makes up for it.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Rally to me, warriors! Destroy the blasphemer! FOR SCOTLAND!!!
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

I don't really think that the devs made any promises they couldn't deliver for anything relating to BGEE or BG2EE.

Are there things they can't deliver? Nope. Things they haven't delivered? Yes. Afaik all the cut scenes haven't been redone yet, no Android release, cloud save is still in the clouds... Yes there are reasons and I find them quite acceptable, but from a purely objective perspective they haven't delivered on all their promises for BG:EE yet. They are working on both games though and they're fairly honest about everything so no complaints here :)
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    edited November 2013
    I've played Baldur's Gate since the day of purchase as a single player game. If there had been, or shall be any form of multiplayer, that is a bonus.
    Post edited by RnRClown on
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I might sound boring already, but improved multiplayer isn't the only thing that was supposed to be at release - but at least we have it now, and that's the most important thing.

I'm still curious how come that fans can do a workaround for a dub for other game language versions in 1 day and Overhaul can't deliver official support to it in a almost year after release.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I hate polls that are clearly designed to promote OP's agenda, rather than any genuine attempt to gather objective information, where all the option OP supports are worded sensibly, and objections worded to sound extremist and/or crazy.

But back to the topic. I don't care about Multiplayer much, and I've only tried it out a few hours, during which I did not notice any game breaking bugs.

As for the devs... well nobody is perfect, but at least Beamdog communicates with customers properly, often on a one to one basis, answers individual questions and hosts an awesome forum. Man if Blizzard had a Dee, I probably would have better memories of Diablo 3.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    For me BG will always be a single player game.
  • ArktosaArktosa Member Posts: 73
    Wilbur said:

For me BG will always be a single player game.

I cant say so because I've played a lot of multiplayer games. The only thing that annoys are auto-pause that people should turn off...

Anyways for the question : Its something... for the moment, at least we can play. But I'm mad at BG2:EE promotion of improved multiplayer. Are they trying to fix it for next week within BG1 or they will never fix BG1 after this.

I hate polls that are clearly designed to promote OP's agenda, rather than any genuine attempt to gather objective information, where all the option OP supports are worded sensibly, and objections worded to sound extremist and/or crazy.

I agree.
    But hopefully for you, my evil plan has failed.