Skip to content

Colored Rings around party members?

Can anyone explain to me what the colored rings represent around my party members? Some are white. Some are gray. Some are red. In the original version of the game they were all green. Anyhow, not sure what the colors are meant to tell me, so thought it was time I asked. Any clarifications here are appreciated.

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Color circles are based on the primary color of a character's clothes. If you want to, you can disable this in the graphic or gameplay options.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    It's a new feature, brought to you by Overhaul Game's countless devoted Johnny Cash fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRlj5vjp3Ko
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    The purpose is to more easily differentiate your party members from each other. The double circle is so you more easily tell friend and foe apart.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    I guess this must be primarily for tablet users, or those with bad eyes. Can't say that I've ever had a problem differentiating my party members from each other with the traditional green circles. The thing is, I look at their sprites and that tells me enough to tell them apart.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    It's also just a little fun. I like the novelty of it.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    edited November 2013
    You can turn the colored rings off if you prefer the BG2 look, I know I do. It's under Gameplay Options - Feedback submenu, just deselect the colored markers button.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I never liked the rings but I didn't complain. Now that I know you can restore them to plain green, I'm more than happy with the change. Time to go fix it!
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I think it was probably a 'nice to have' that was an easy win for the team. I can't say that it adds a significant value (to me anyway) but it does add a little bit of a more updated look than simply the white circles we used to have.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Would've loved the coloured circles but since I use the "metallic black" and black colours on a few party members it doesn't really work since all of a sudden half the circles are white then. So I use plain old green for everyone. Neat feature though.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I like the feature now that I know I can change it.
    Yep, when I realized I could turn it off, I did so. It just doesn't add anything for me, and I find the green circles to be perfectly functional. I hope that it didn't take a lot of time to implement this.
    Another observation here, is that I never really think of my party in terms of their color. Sure, I pick a color for the protagonist at the start, and I'm aware of everyone's colors in the game. But I really don't consciously associate them with those colors.

Like, I don't think here comes Mr. Red. I think, oh, there's Edwin. There's no Mr. White, Mr. Black, etc.

Me thinks perhaps someone at Overhaul be a Reservoir Dogs fan.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    marceror said:

Me thinks perhaps someone at Overhaul be a Reservoir Dogs fan.

Who isn't? :D

I can totally see Edwin getting upset about having to be Mr. Pink.
    Agreed that that would ruffle Edwin's feathers pretty good.

As for who doesn't like it? My wife!
  • BulldogBulldog Member Posts: 4
    Is there some way to have colored rings but not double?