Skip to content

One Hand Weapon

Hi,

I would ask whether a bow is a one hand weapon or a two hand weapon ( found nothing in the manual ).

Second, why I should spend points in the one hand weapon ability? It is more secure to got a shield and more powerfull to attack with 2 weapons...

Regards,

Olek

Comments

• karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    The weapon styles only apply to melee weapons and not ranged weapons. Although for the record the bow is a two handed weapon.

The single weapon ability isn't really very useful compared to either a shield or second weapon. It's mostly there to add a bit of flavour for anyone who wants to use a single weapon for non-powergaming reasons.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    I'd say that goes to argue, since single weapon style doubles your crit chance and you can still get +2 AC with two points in it. Not all chars have the STR to carry the best shields.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Or can be bothered switching to dual weapons when switching from ranged to melee.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Single Weapon can be good for backstab characters. Just you know in case up to 4x (in BGEE) backstab wasn't good enough hehe.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited November 2013
    Some characters (like pure thieves) cannot use shields (apart from bucklers) or put enough points into dual-wield to make it worthwhile. So for a pure class backstabbing thief or assassin single weapon style offers a better critical chance in addition to bonus AC with next to no downside.

*Edit* This also applies to Monks at low levels. They are often better off with a sword and single-weapon style than their fists early on, though even better used with a ranged weapon.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Olek77 said:

Hi,

I would ask whether a bow is a one hand weapon or a two hand weapon ( found nothing in the manual ).

Second, why I should spend points in the one hand weapon ability? It is more secure to got a shield and more powerfull to attack with 2 weapons...

Regards,

Olek

Like @karnor00 said, bows are two-handed weapons, but weapon style bonuses DO NOT apply to ranged weapons.

Single-weapon style isn't too bad in BGEE, but its problem is its bonuses don't scale into higher levels. In BG2EE you can get weapons that give you AC, extra damage, extra attacks, immunities, etc. etc. and SWS can't hope to compete. There are some nice shields as well, but 2WF is the best by a huge margin. I guess you can call it a flaw in the game design ;)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I agree with the ranged/melee weapon point. My F/M/T has points in single weapon as I'm tired of having to constantly switch weapons in and out when I want to use ranged weapons.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    The point made about monks is very viable for Rasaad in BG:EE.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I grab it for my thieves because I'm too lazy to give them a buckler or second weapon after they switch from bow.
  • Olek77Olek77 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks all for your answers!