Skip to content

NPC-Cinematics

ZaccaroZaccaro Member Posts: 39
I don't know how graphic-heavy we can get but getiing like a Cinematic for the main-npc's like Imoen, Jaheira/Khalid, Minsc/Boo, Edwin etc. would be a great way to improve every moment in the game. I don't want to stop it in that either: Ending-cinematics for each NPC's ending in TOB would be awesome as all hell. The stories are great though so the ending-cinematic part isn't really imo too big of a deal but Cinematic introduction to NPC's and main Characters of the story is a definite Enhance on the experience.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I don't know if this would work well. One thing is to get a cinematic between chapters (similar to how you currently get that text scrolling between chapters).

But how would a character introduction cinematic work? Once you enter the area that they're in? Once you talk to them? It would break the immersion. A cinematic (or more realistically a picture sequence similar to what you get in the IWD games) at the end of the game would probably work better.
  • ZaccaroZaccaro Member Posts: 39
    I think I've seen in some games that when the character(s) join your party you get a cinematic though I don't think Bioware has done those. Well, the breaking of immersion is always personal feeling but I can see your point in it since BG1 nor 2 had that. They only had the beginning and ending cinematics so yeah it might take too much time too. I still like this idea very much though and I'd like to hear more opinions on it.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    BG1 actually had additional cinematics for when you enter certain areas (though I'm not surprised that people forget about them, they didn't have much of a point).
    Oh yes! I forgot those too. Been some time since I fired up the old BG1.
    I am still liking this idea and getting new ones. :D How about boss-cinematics implemented? Like Firkraag shown in his full glory in a Cinematic. It's still able to keep the conversation exactly as is. Just showing how he looks.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I disagree I would not like cinematics mid-game. End of the game ones would be ok but I'm not a fan of the ones that take control away from you and take you out of the game to show you a cinematic. I really like the the intro to BG2 in Irenicus' dungeon the first time I saw it after that I want to mash ESC until it goes away and lets me play.
  • ShareazuShareazu Member Posts: 51
    still, skippable cinematics and ending cinematics would be ok in my opinion... specially the ending ones, since there's not much reason to skip them.

but i see @smeagolheart 's point, indeed, it's not good to exaggerate! also, if they were implemented, they should all be skippable.
    Well, obviously in this day and age. Skippable all the way imo too.
    Then why have a cinematic if all you are going to do is skip it?
    It's the first time enjoyment. It's teh discovery! Like in everything you do! NPC's need to be in the lategame too for that exact same reason. Wonderful surprise to find one out there.
    edited June 2012
    Why NOT have cinematics? I don't see it as too distracting if you can jump them over and it seems I'm not the only one who would enjoy them.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Yeah, I don't really see a need for more cinematics unless the devs feel a specific need to make them, but I do like the ones already in place (such as the beginning game cinematic in BG2), I definitely think that they should stay, though it wouldn't hurt anything if they were skippable via hitting esc or spacebar.
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    edited June 2012
    Seriously cant see how people would not want to have some cutscenes in BG with high quality :p theres already a number of them, like the one entering Baldur's Gate, aswell as the Iron Throne.
    But it might be outside the limits for a Enchanced Edition unfourtenetly, maybe if BG1 is a huge success, then maybe they would add a few cutscenes to BG2.
    Post edited by Zymran86 on
    @Drugar Ok, Thank you this is what I wanted to hear. A good reason to not have them. If cutscenes really take away from the main-game I'd rather have they use that time on the game too.
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    I'll have to agree @Drugar for this one. I don't want them to be spending time and money on something as frivolous as cinematics. Besides there's a few already (Entering Friendly arms, Beregost, Nashel, Gnoll Fortress, Baldurs's gate, bandit, camp, flooding the mines, etc. etc.) And they look terrible. They did not age well at all unlike the actual game with it's clean isometric graphics which is timeless. If anything I hope they get rid of these cinematics. But just to make it clear are we talking about those or about isometric cinematics like Gorion's death and the start of BG? Personally I would hate to see cinematics for introducing NPC's it would be awkward as hell and very unBaldur's like.
    edited June 2012
    @AzL0n I can't find the reference at the moment but I've seen @TrentOster or another dev say that they plan on replacing the old videos with gorgeous new artwork.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    edited June 2012
    I only agree with re-doing the old ones. Charcter cinematics kill the immersion and, as @Drugar said, they restrict your imagination about that character, how they move, how they react, how they smile or shout, to the short video, you have seen from them. If you would only have cinematics for some chars, that would also sound unfair to the others... Not to mention the tons of time these cinematics would require...

The game is text-based. That's what Baldur's Gate is. That's one of the reasons we liked it :)
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    edited June 2012
    Redrawing Cinemas is cool, but i think that 3D movies (with today standards) are epic aswell, and they shouldnt be discounted for in any game, if theyre used properly and at right timing they can be amazing.
    But the 2D artwork is epic too, i remember the old "Myth" games with the Narrator, (really good voice actor) the artwork was really great too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3QV5Gmm1rU an example.
    Post edited by Zymran86 on
    Well, I find this conversation closed. I have been convinced. :D The idea isn't for this game.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    I would agree with a few cutscenes with the sprites running around, nothing else. It would be awesome to see an crazier Gorion versus Sarevok fight, but I would also like Firebead to do something after he gets that book. He wouldn't have to die, just make an epic cutscene and since Firebead is seen twice at the start and his story just ends...
    Ok, there has been ten agrees o this conversation so I am bringing it back on the top. The experience could enhance with them but this time I want to hear someone's take on it who is liking this idea. If many indeed want it, the reason to implement it should be explained.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Redrawing Cinemas is cool, but i think that 3D movies (with today standards) are epic aswell, and they shouldnt be discounted for in any game, if theyre used properly and at right timing they can be amazing.
    But the 2D artwork is epic too, i remember the old "Myth" games with the Narrator, (really good voice actor) the artwork was really great too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3QV5Gmm1rU an example.
    OMG loved myth 2 good times.