Skip to content

1.2 Framerate Issues?

2»

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I have some ideas that might help: try setting affinities with bgmain when its running ( using task manager go to processes then right hand click on baldur.exe and go to set affinity then click on all cores) sometimes my game was lagging if I had 3 or 4 other programs running in the background, but once I did that ( even setting affinity to have 1 more core) and boom ran just fine at 60 fps, with a million things at once no sweat. Now number 2, I recal in vanilla bg1 it would lag hard on my machine, even when I OC'ed it to 4.2 Ghz it would lag about 10 minutes later, and the smoke and cloud effects would just kill the fps, so then I found this program on the interwebs called DirectX control panel, because back in the vanilla bg1 days, 3d acceleration was non existent, and with directx 11 the 3d acceleration conflicts with bg1, so this program allowed me to turn off my pc's 3d acceleration and then vanilla bg1 run smoother than silk, now I don't know whats going on in bgee's 3d acceleration world, because its based off of the bg2 engine which handles 3d acceleration now sweat, but it could be worth a try to turning it off and see what happens, but usually if I ever see lag on my pc, I just start setting more and more cores to the program in task manager and it runs like butta :)
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @sarevok57 I saw your post about the affinity setting and tried it before, but both of my cores were already selected. I've also turned the hardware accelerator on and off, and neither setting seems to make a difference. When I installed BG and IWD on my machine a while ago, they would lag considerably, which I fixed by going into the Microsoft Compatibility Toolkit and installing a "force direct draw emulation" into my game folder. Since BGEE is designed for machines with 3d acceleration (as you said), that trick doesn't work anymore.

Now that I'm running BGEE on my laptop's internal monitor, it doesn't lag anywhere near as much as when I was using my external widescreen. Still, I wish I could do something about the (much less frequent) times when it does lag.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    it must be your graphic card, from what I saw before, that graphic card looks pretty low end, especially if its struggling with a separate monitor, you might need to upgrade if that is possible
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Hope that in BG2:EE you can set the FPS to 25, which is the best setting for my computer and my old BG2.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited November 2013
    @sarevok57 Yeah, my computer is about 3 years old anyway, so I figured that was the case.

@CrevsDaak Now that you mention it, at 25 fps, some of the more involved battles in BG2 might be more manageable on my system. I'm sure you'll be able to set it that way in BG2EE since you can already do it in BGEE.
    edited November 2013
    @Mortianna I couldn't set it in BG:EE, so I'm asking to add it to the game.
    But I haven't tried editing the .ini file, that should change them if there is not an in-game option to do so :)

EDIT:
    This is how the .ini works in BG2, hope it goes like this in BG2:EE, I'm really tired of trying new types of coding and option changes of BG:EE.
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    That same line exists in baldur.ini for BG:EE. It shows up like this:

'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '30',

Just change the 30 to 25 and there you go.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    yeah this is quite brutal to be honest. I love this game to death but the basically permanent slow mo gameplay is really grinding my gears. It's like I'm playing at 25% game speed ....

Wish I knew what was causing this to happen
  • BOOTPBOOTP Member Posts: 3

yeah this is quite brutal to be honest. I love this game to death but the basically permanent slow mo gameplay is really grinding my gears. It's like I'm playing at 25% game speed ....

Wish I knew what was causing this to happen

I completely agree with you.

I appreciate of all the other bug fixes, tweaks and continued support but in terms of performance; I find this a backwards step. My frame rate is ranging from 15 to 60 in the Nashkel mines..

It has to be to do with the coding of the new renderer. As I said before, I have both versions on my laptop and the old version is super smooth.

No amount of tweaking and configuration can stabilise the frame rate in the version; let alone stick to the 60fps experienced on the old version.

I have already pre-ordered Baldur’s Gate II, so I imagine the same problems will be present if the same (or similar) renderer will be used.

Hopefully this will get looked into.
    Dee said:

That same line exists in baldur.ini for BG:EE. It shows up like this:

'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '30',

Just change the 30 to 25 and there you go.

WHOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!! Thanks guy, you rocks!!! WHOOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!
  • MaconaMacona Member Posts: 70
    My game is also running slow since 1.2

I've changed the ini framerate to 25 but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What else can I do? :(