Skip to content

Fighter mage thief

I'm going to be doing a MP game with a friend and i've been considering F/M/T but i'm wondering how they will work in BG2 once we transfer? Can you get all the spells and abilities for all 3 classes (aside from proficiency) and are they worthwhile/good? He's going to be playing as a Blackguard if that matters.

Comments

• BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    You wont get 9th level spells as you hit the cap before that.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I wouldn't recommend it. I'm finding that even with Multi-classed characters, I am constantly running into enemies with far higher spell levels than me, which makes it tricky to deal with their magical protections. I just fought a battle where I had to unload about 6 or 7 Breach spells before I could hurt the enemy, probably because I do not have access to higher level anti-protection spells like Ruby Ray of Reversal. If the last Breach didn't work, I think I wudda been stuck in that battle, cos I literally used every Dispel, Remove Magic and Breach in 3 spellbooks! Even a scroll or two!
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    They kind of make sense solo with the XP cap removed, but in anything like a full party they'll lag behind a lot. You'll be able to cover the role of party thief pretty capably by BG2 as long as you've focused on find traps and locks, but don't count on casting high level spells.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    If you want to go "jack of all trades, master of none" way, I'd recommend rather going M/T (either multiclass or dual from Swashbuckler to Mage at level 5 or 10)
    If you want a more fighting machine, F/T or F/M is better.
    a 3-multiclass is powerful early on, but starts getting behind at high levels.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    You could consider playing a bard (blade) if you want to have the versatility of multiple classes but not the obvious xp and leveling issues.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    I love the F/M/T.. even in a 6 party game. stealth, trap removal, backstab, lockpick, decent melee.
    It is more a jack ofF all trades than the bard will ever be, and with you godly bhaalspawn stats you can woop anyone's ass.
    You could make a more powerful class no doubt, but as a jack off all trades it is more fun, and atleast as good as the bard.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    F/M/T can be a fun build. Most of the comments in this thread apply. It's nice to have basic thief skills covered, and much later in the game you can probably pull off nasty backstabs in combination with having 7th or 8th level spells. There will be issues and shortcomings, no class setup is perfect (if there was, the game would devolve into everyone picking that class, and much that once was would be lost).
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    Have you considered a Bard/blade, they are pretty much a non-xp split FTM, they arent the powergamer munchkin choice but they have their own appeal.
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    The blade is neat, but it lacks the thief's main in combat use (ie: no backstab) and dungeon exploration use (hide and scout and traps). It's really more of a F/M substitute with some neat tricks than a F/M/T.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Blade is really more of a F/M with Thieves frailty.
    Main reasons for bringing a Thief (backstab + locks + traps) aren't accessible.

However, they get terminally lethal with Thief HLAs (Spike Trap...)