Skip to content

Concern about Stalker Backstab Bug importing to BG2EE

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    You should ask an actual modder with current knowlege, as I just tinkered (over 10 years ago) but consider getting to know the 2da files, under (I think) Rang01 to Rang04 - each number was a kit, then locate the special ability ABSPCL301 (example) which designates the backstab modifier and either delete the next one (that you'd get at a higher level bringing you to x4) or ask someone if you can create a new ability (as above but ensure it's unique) to reduce it by 1.

It may sound more complicated than it is, Near Infinity was the tool I used, I'm sure there's another one now.

This is all assuming it actually raises to x4 as you level up anyway.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    No clue. What happens when you export the character and import them again into BGEE? Do you still have the 3x?
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    They externalized backstab.2da in 1.2, meaning they made it moddable. Maybe that had something to do with it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    You could always just remove the XP cap, give yourself say 300,000 XP, and see what happens. That might give you an idea of what to expect.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    I play a stalker and I have the same issue. Level 8 with a 3x backstab multiplier
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    It sounds like there might be a bug causing the Stalker to use the standard Thief BS progression.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think more likely the stalker used to have an ability at level 1 and 9 that granted it +1 backstab multiplier; when it was externalized, it became tied to the 2da and the level 1 / 9 ability was removed, but any character that had already been created would still have that ability, resulting in a net bonus.

That's pure speculation, though; I haven't looked specifically at the Stalker's CLAB table to see what it used to be.

I can confirm that this anomaly only occurs with pre-patch saves being loaded after the patch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    It'll probably have the same error, but you could remove the ability in EE Keeper. I'm just not sure what the ability is.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Call the extra backstab multlier a Bhaalspawn power.

It's not as if all characters start on a level playing field anyway.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    @Dee The import process could reset those abilities, like it does with hit points
    @thespace
    Its a new game with my stalker exported from my pre 1.2 patch.
    Its not the end of the world for me. My stalkers only one level away from getting the 3x backstab multiplier anyway (level 9 I believe). My only concern is that if I import this character in to bg2ee will the multiplier change to 4x once I reach the correct level (I think its 17).
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    You can fairly easily edit your character with Near Infinity or EEKeeper to fix this issue. Or BG2EE might even fix it by removing the incorrect bonuses as I suggested.