Skip to content

F/M on Neutral-Evil party for BG2EE

kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
edited November 2013 in Challenges and Playthroughs
I'm willing to try a new (for me) experience in BG2EE, and I was wondering if you guys could give me some hints.

I normally play the good guy in any RPG, with my first being a paladin, my second a wizard (Neutral Good). This time, after experimenting in BGEE with a Chaotic Neutral Fighter/Thief, and a mixed neutral-evil party (Neera, Rasaad, Dorn, Kagain, Viconia), I'm not sure I'm going with this class but surely with a neutral-evil party (in BG2EE my party will have Hexxat).

The Black Pits thing was very useful to experiment with Fighter/Mage combos though. I tried a self-made, high-rolls (all important stats maxed out) party:

- an half-elf Bard Blade
- a gnome Fighter/Illusionist
- an elf Fighter/Mage

They all have a long sword proficiency (there is a very good one in BGEE, Varscona +2, and a few useful ones in BG2 like the Daystar or the one against dragons) and three points in two weapons (in BG2 the second weapon is going to be Belm for the extra attack.. sadly no Scarlet Ninja-to for another extra attack, only the Bard in ToB would be able to get it with UAI).

The Blade levels up quickly but is worse than the other two guys in melee. True, the abilities are nice (offensive and defensive spin) but I tend to forget them. I don't like much micromanagement. There is also the class-specific quests in BG2: with a F/M I'll have the castle and the planar sphere, the first a good source of income, the second a very nice quest.

The gnome is ugly but it does not have the constitution penalty. With two tomes, it gets 19 dexterity and 19 constitution.

The elf is the "nicer" of the three, even though its 20 dexterity with the tome does not add anything compared to the gnome (there is a difference between 18 and 19, but 20 helps only for ranged weapons). It has however a THAC0 +1 with long swords, that I'm going to use.

So probably I'm going with a CN FM elf and, as party, Hexxat, Dorn, Neera, Rasaad and Viconia. I think the Monk at higher levels is good, but I'm not sure I'm going to keep Neera (I hate wild mages..) after I complete her quests. I'm probably going to romance Hexaat instead of Neera so no problem.

What do you think? Any suggestion on the class, weapon proficiencies, party members?

I'm not sure about ToB for example: are the thief HLA so good I'm going to regret having a F/M instead of a Blade or F/T?
Post edited by koteko on

Comments

• kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    I wonder if I am in the wrong section.. not really familiar with these forums :P apologies if so.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I think the gnome is more powerful than the elf due to his huge save bonuses and extra spell per level. Missing out on necromancy isn't important at all for BG1 although in BG2 you miss the big damage spells in Skull Trap and ADHW but I think it's worth it (e.g. you can have an extra Dragon's Breath at level 9).

Regardless of which F/M variant you choose however, you're sure to have a powerful character.
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    Thanks for your reply. Extra saves and extra spell per level are nice indeed, but I fear that I would miss most romances with a gnome.. I wonder if it would be the same with the new female thief or with Neera. I guess we'll know in a few days :)

Then again, the elf has the THAC0 +1 with long sword and short swords. I might not need Belm+2 as there is a short sword +2 that gives an extra attack per round, too. Or I could have belm and this short sword and have +2 attacks per round, plus +1 THAC0 on the off hand with the elf.. probably is less worth than those saves bonuses (especially against high level mages and liches).