Skip to content

Sigh, tried WoW again...

2»

Comments

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    The main problem of multiplayer games is other people.

Pretty much every MMO out there is much better when played with friends or at least people who you are acquainted with...
    FoxhounderSchneidend
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2013
    Whelp, I've still been playing WoW for this week, and my one-month subscription doesn't expire until November 17, when BG2:EE should hopefully be almost out.

There is one thing that I have been inspired by from my druid toon in this game - WoW really knows how to create an awesome druid, *especially* with the utility of shapeshifting forms - instant fast flight is probably the best, but cat, bear, and moonkin with complete skill builds to support each form don't come far behind, not to mention the water-breathing and fast-swimming seal/orca.

My idea presently is to continue the pleasure I've gotten from experiencing pve and pet-battling in WoW as a WoW druid, and I do believe I might do my first EE trilogy run (I will *not* play again until I have both the promised "patch to end all patches", and BG2:EE, both), is to play a Totemist Summoner Druid.

I'm such a pacifist, that the idea of being a summoner very much appeals to me. I might consider Avenger, if the wyvern form could fly, but, no.

The Totemist druid sounds to me currently like the closest thing in BG to resembling my WoW main. It duplicates my WoW love of petbattling, and my desire to be a healer and dps caster only. The only thing else that I can think of that might resemble that character build idea would be a mage with Polymorph Self and several summoning spells. But, that mage wouldn't have the strong healing.

A cleric with skellies and other offensive spells might also come close, but would have no alternate forms.

So, out of those three, I think that the Totemist druid might come the closest to being like my petbattling, moonkin, WoW druid.

;)

WoW can be quite fun, as long as you don't let other people ruin it for you, as I almost just did.
    Mornmagor
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    still waiting for ESO. I have luck actually finding fun people in mmos. if you want somebody you can play with you usually do that in the starting area in mmos. it's been fun playing mmos and just leveling alongside my fellow low level adventure to grow to epic levels! hmm... we need a bhaalspawn rp guild for eso when it comes out. we can take over cyrodil together!
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Belgarathmth I reckon the Avenger might still be the one for you. They're the strongest of the offensive druid spellcasters without losing any healing, and the most versatile shapeshifters. So if you love Boomkins then the chromatic orb, web and chain lightning you get can replicate this fairly nicely. Druids get a boatload of summons anyway.
    @Corvino, hmm, that's a good idea too. I was just thinking the totem spirit animals might be a little like the petbattling I'm coming to enjoy in WoW, and it might be fun to learn which one to summon for the best effect against different kinds of enemies. Also, I started playing an avenger once, and it was very tempting to just stay in shapeshift form all the time instead of casting, because the avenger's forms are really powerful in BG1.

Not to say it wasn't a good toon, but I wanted more of a caster feel to my druid, and even though the avenger's spell picks are right up that alley, like I said, he felt stronger as a shifter. Certainly a versatile druid kit, though, I'll give it that. It really should maybe be split into two kits - one gets the bonus spells, and the other gets the bonus shifting, but both in one kit seems a little too powerful.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    In this increasingly liberal and apologist world regarding the behavior of children, I find the "emotional abuse" bit a little dubious.
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    edited October 2013
    I suggest not going into details. What happened may or may not constitute abuse, reporting the reason for leaving the guild may or may not have been a good idea, and the guildmasters behaviour may or may not have been appropriate, but all that is besides the point.

The point being that you should share MMORGS with people that think and behave in a way similar to your own. If not, you won't get along, even if you try, and it will take away from your gaming experience.
    BelgarathMTH
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    That's the problem with MMORPGs - the MMO part doesn't add to the experience, but instead makes it worse. If you're only going to play with people "that think and behave in a way similar to your own", that basically means you're only playing with people you know. At that point, just a normal multiplayer RPG would be better. Like, oh, maybe NWN, which I happened to love, online and off.
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    edited October 2013
    @FinneousPJ

That's it actually, except for the part about playing with people i know beforehand. I always took the MMO part to mean i have a chance of finding a group to game with. IF i can find a Lan party in my area, IF it fits my schedule, IF we all play the same games, IF (altrnatively) i find people to setup an internet network game a normal multiplayer RPG is preferable.
    The best and worst aspect of an MMO is playing with others. They can be obnoxious and ruin the game for you, or you could get good advice, help when you need it and maybe even make a friend or two.

If you put yourself out there and offer a bit of help when needed it can pay dividends. I knew quite a few pleasant people from outside my guild just from crafting for each other, questing together etc.
    BelgarathMTH
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    Like books, games are a solitary activity for me. I don't see the draw in playing with a bunch of strangers. The only time I've ever enjoyed playing a multiplayer game was as a child, having friends over to play Goldeneye or Crash Bandicoot.

TJ_Hooker
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    So, partiallg inspired by this thread, I started a WoW trial account. Unlimited trial til lvl 20 can't hurt.
    So far I have a lvl7 Undead hunter (they have hunters now!) named Doomguide and a lvl8 Blood Elf Warlock named Felbulous. Just checking out the starting areas. Never really played Horde so exploring that.

They did a nice job revamping the undead starting area, it's really nice!
    BelgarathMTH
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, despite my whine in this thread, I'm still playing, because I enjoy the petbattling and achievements. My solution to having my game experience ruined by people who make me uncomfortable or angry has been to just stay away from guilds. Other people can't bother you if you don't give them the chance.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2013
    My only bad guild experience was as a captain and another captain betrayed us by kicking all the players that he could with his rank. I also happened to be on around that time so on my next login I was kicked because they thought I did it and when I rejoined I was a little not trusted and not given back my position as a prevention measure. The guild kinda failed with the loss of everybody. I don't blame them for mistrusting me but I do blame that traitor.
    Drugar said:

So, partiallg inspired by this thread, I started a WoW trial account. Unlimited trial til lvl 20 can't hurt.
    So far I have a lvl7 Undead hunter (they have hunters now!) named Doomguide and a lvl8 Blood Elf Warlock named Felbulous. Just checking out the starting areas. Never really played Horde so exploring that.

They did a nice job revamping the undead starting area, it's really nice!

I find your lack of dwarves disturbing...
    The original account had four dwarves. Doing that starting area again...did not want to do that again.
    Schneidend
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    I played wow for 7ish years love it but its time is over. I have been playing gw2 since it came out its really fun there is no real grind and its ftp. The best part is it has a global community so there are always people on. My cooling unit went out a few months ago so choose to take a mmo break playing some older games on my laptop. They have events every 2 weeks with new content amazing svsvs pvp and pretty good pvp so if your looking for an mmo that's where I would go. Or you could wait for Everquest next and try it out.
    *Puts on old man hat and smokes pipe*

I remember when not all classes were equal. We had a Paladin tank, and we made him tank trash because he could hold aggro on multiple mobs, mwahaha. And druids were only good for healins.

There was this one feller, he was a rogue. And he wants to use daggers instead'a swords! heheh. We puts a stop to that.

*dies under weight of own crusty outdatedness*
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    The on MMO I've played was LEGO Universe, a child-orientated (I was a little guy when I played it) game, but it had lots of good people and it was VERY moderated, I remember wagering (yes, its true) inside the game (by using the trade system :P) to see who'll get an Achievement first.
    I also remind of saying the phrase of "Helping in monster killing missions!! 5k to 20k I do not accept items as reward, and I'll take ALL THE LOOT", I was greatly known of being THAT mercenary, and, when they've created an achievement named "Slay more than 100 Named Bosses"(you can kill the same boss 100 times and still getting it :D), I was one of the few that had it, everybody asked me for help killing a dragon, I think I killed it like 10 times or more.
    Also, I was a potential cheesing user, I knew every way to lack more armor and life than with any other item combination, which ranged weapons were better to which bosses and all that stuff.
    The bad thing is that the game had no Guilds or Clans (it had leagues, but you had to choose one at the second world, so...), so I build up one, and, we never named it, but we where only 10 or 11 persons, playing in two separated teams (yes, they where limited to 5 :( bad luck) each team trying to accomplish more missions in one hour.
    And I never knew anybody who played the game in real-life, I met some guys in a LEGO community (from LEGO CUUSOO), but nobody in real life.
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    edited November 2013

I played wow in Tbc and Wotlk.
    It was a great game once like in this movie.
    Kael'thas fight starting at 10:40 is the peak of mmorpg pve so far.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    WOW Music Videos:

BelgarathMTH
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I was an avid WoW player for years, recently quit, and probably for good this time around. Got tired of some of the new mechanics and the ridiculousness of the other players, and also the lack of solo options during the end game. I like being able to reach milestones by myself, and the fact that I HAVE TO rely on other people bothers the crap out of me, because (No offense to anyone, if it don't apply, let it fly) most people on there tend to be very immature, or very inept... or both.

The reason why people take the game so seriously is the sense of urgency that is brought on by newer content always on the horizon, and the fact that you're paying so much money a month.

WoW is slowly dying, and I think it's high time it did.
    zerckan said:

Motherf---ing Kael'thas, man.

We were lvl85, messing around one afternoon and thought "let's go do some old dungeons!". Breezed through all the lvl60 content, Karazhan, Lady Vaszj and then we got to Kael'thas and got slaughtered, despite being 15lvls too high and decked out in super epics.
    You don't pay attention in that fight for 10 seconds, you die, and you take everyone with you.

I loved it.
    zerckan said:

I never did the Kael'thas raid content, so the Illidari Council and Illidan himself are my personal high points. We were fighting the Illidari Council around the time Iron Man came out, so my guild's in-joke was to refer to the blizzard debuff thing the wizard boss did as "the icing problem."
    Drugar
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    Next WoW Expansion looks cool but I won't have time to play sadly.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/warlords-of-draenor/?autoplay=true