Skip to content

Java Version of WeiDU?

PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
edited March 2013 in General Modding
OK, just to clarify this: I have nigh null programming experience (BASIC on an MSX does not count, right?).
Therefore, please forgive me if this is:
a) impossible and/or
b) really stupid.

Given that BG:EE is totally cross-platform (which is awesome!), and Java is too (NearInfinity, for example), would it not be a good idea to make an Java WeiDU version? That way, everyone could install mods the same way, which would lead to some uniformity (but then it would also have to be possible to make uniform distribution-packages).
  1. Java Version of WeiDU?17 votes
    1. Great! Why did no-one think of this?
      70.59%
    2. Useless, that is by definition not how WeiDU works!
        0.00%
    3. You (the OP) really have no idea what you are talking about, do you?
      11.76%
    4. Some other suggestion (please specify):
        5.88%
    5. I have no programming skills and therefore my vote should not count.
      11.76%

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited March 2013
    Why shouldn't a vote count just because the person has no programming skills?

I take it from your suggestion that you would want a version of WeiDU that had a graphical UI so it would be more user-friendly, considering the DOS-like window it currently uses tends to intimidate a few users.

So as I see it, this poll should be aimed precisely at people with NO programming skills. It's the only way you could justify porting the program to a platform that not only has a lot of detractors for being clunky, but also demands you install a 100+ MB software that constantly nags you with update notices just so you can run anything written on it.

IMHO this wouldn't make modding your game any easier. WeiDU works perfectly fine as it is. If the problem is UI, I'm sure there are better solutions that don't necessarily involve using Java.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited March 2013
    A little bird told me there might be someone designing a graphical WeiDU frontend and associated cross-platform distribution format for mods. I expect more information will be made available once certain other things are closer to being resolved.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    @Wisp: how's the bird doing? Any news?
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    Java isn't cross-platform. Java IS the platform.
    That said, weidu seems to be written mostly in OCaml and c so theoretically you should be able to compile it for linux or mac. Apparently someone already did. Considering that there already IS a WeiDU, and it works just fine as it is, I think it's not particularly useful.

I'd much rather see some kind of package manager that can list all mods from various sources (shs, g3, ...) in a unified interface and also takes care of dependency / compatibility issues. Then again, that would be a huge task.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Phyrax
    The bird got a job and now has a lot less time to be carrying gossip.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863

I'd much rather see some kind of package manager that can list all mods from various sources (shs, g3, ...) in a unified interface and also takes care of dependency / compatibility issues. Then again, that would be a huge task.

Heh, where have you been for the last few years? http://www.shsforums.net/topic/44567-big-world-setup-beta-testing/
    Wisp said:

The bird got a job and now has a lot less time to be carrying gossip.

Jobs = overrated. We've been teased with this WeiDU frontend for ages. MAKE IT ALREADY!
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    @Phyrax The answer I chose is way harsher than I would have liked it to sound, but hey, you literally brought this onto yourself :P

Seriously though, I think porting a huge codebase like WeiDU's to Java would be a huge effort... is it really worth it since there already are compiled binaries for every platform? For OS X there's even a (sort of) graphical tool.
  • GodricswardGodricsward Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    is it worth the effort? definitely. It would open up the world of modding to a larger range of people

Edit - my bad i completely misread the top of the post, functioning on little sleep has a detrimental affect to my already limited brain power.
    Post edited by Godricsward on
  • mesmerizedishmesmerizedish Member Posts: 9
    WeiDU installers are already incredibly straightforward to use. The only reason anyone should have difficulty using one is if they can't read.

Writing WeiDU installers is an ordeal.

So as far as the end-user is concerned, it would be entirely pointless. But Java is a popular language... most current college intro programming courses teach it. So writing a Java API could be very useful to modders, and lower (only slightly, but still) the barrier of entry to the modding scene.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    Miloch said:

Heh, where have you been for the last few years? http://www.shsforums.net/topic/44567-big-world-setup-beta-testing/
    It's lacking what I consider to be the most important feature of a package manager: the ability to publish a mod. I was also thinking of something more along the lines of this as opposed to having pre-selected setups in a tree view.